Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:51 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Have any of you other native Angelinos become jaded over the Rose Parade after seeing it literally dozens and dozens of times?
Of course. Many of us who grew up near that area watched it once as kids, and never again. But I'll watch the Grand Marshall ride in this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
What does it pay?

Most real celebrities are in Aspen or the islands this time of year.
Then celebrities would seem to be idiots since fall is perhaps the best time of year here especially after the non stop heat of summer.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:53 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
I'm looking at the list of past Grand Marshals, and there's a broad swath of people from many different backgrounds that are not entertainment related (i.e. Jane Goodall or Captain Sully), so I'm still a little puzzled at the choice of Chaka Khan since it still seems a little capricious to me given how many more timely people there are from which to choose -- no offense intended.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:44 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
Exacto Acta Probta - maybe you just want to remain ignorant about Chaka Khan and make her to be one dimensional person. People are often more than just watch people think. If you are a singer, are you just only a singer? Can you be a mother? An activist? A philanthropist?

Maybe go on the Rose Parade website and check their Theme this year and why they chose her. Theme for 2019 is "The Melody Of Life" celebrates music. Maybe thats why they chose a music icon as a Grand Marshall rather than a movie star or an astronaut.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does anybody know why she was chosen? All I know of her is that she did that song in the 80's that goes "Chaka...Chaka...Chaka Khan...Chaka Chaka Chaka Kahn" or something at the beginning. Gawd my friends and I loathed that song. With all the celebrities from which to choose, they couldn't do a little better than her?
I feel for you man. I really do.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
With all the celebrities from which to choose, they couldn't do a little better than her?
They should have selected a returning disabled war veteran... or possibly a winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:45 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
When I look at the list of past grand marshals...why not Chaka Khan?

I mean:

Erma Bombeck
Regis Philbin
Cloris Leachman
Gary Sinise
Kermit the Frog
Paula Dean
Emeril Lagasse

Why not Khan?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
They should have selected a returning disabled war veteran... or possibly a winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
So J.R. Martinez wasn't good enough or is he to be a permanent Grand Marshal until his death

Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 AM

136 posts, read 140,972 times
Just a little insight. The Tournament board makes the choice from within, so my guess is one of those members likes her and felt she met the theme this year. Also add in on how PC the present Tournament is, she fits that also, female fits in with the "Year of the Woman", she is not really controversial and a woman of color. They like to make a progressive statement over the last few years and after the issues with picking Christopher Columbus's decedent in 1991 they lean more that way. Some years super celebs are chosen, some "celebs of the moment" and some years non-celebs.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:37 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55182 View Post
Just a little insight. The Tournament board makes the choice from within, so my guess is one of those members likes her and felt she met the theme this year. Also add in on how PC the present Tournament is, she fits that also, female fits in with the "Year of the Woman", she is not really controversial and a woman of color. They like to make a progressive statement over the last few years and after the issues with picking Christopher Columbus's decedent in 1991 they lean more that way. Some years super celebs are chosen, some "celebs of the moment" and some years non-celebs.
Okay, that makes sense then. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles