Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:55 PM

13,574 posts, read 15,542,841 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know why she was chosen? All I know of her is that she did that song in the 80's that goes "Chaka...Chaka...Chaka Khan...Chaka Chaka Chaka Kahn" or something at the beginning. Gawd my friends and I loathed that song. With all the celebrities from which to choose, they couldn't do a little better than her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 07:47 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,706,818 times
Why not? She's famous enough. You care to share why you think it was a bad choice? I'd like to hear your view on this...

Old 10-21-2018, 08:25 PM

281 posts, read 307,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does anybody know why she was chosen? All I know of her is that she did that song in the 80's that goes "Chaka...Chaka...Chaka Khan...Chaka Chaka Chaka Kahn" or something at the beginning. Gawd my friends and I loathed that song. With all the celebrities from which to choose, they couldn't do a little better than her?
I'd be really interested to know why you think she's a bad choice. The song you mentioned is in her only song, nor is it her only hit. She was a star in the seventies, that had some issues with drugs, like many other stars of that era. She never made it as big as, say, Whitney Houston or Janet Jackson, but she certainly influenced those Stars! She's influenced lots of singers, and she sings beautifully in her own right. I think it's high time they pay some homage to her, which is most likely why she was chosen.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
I'd be really interested to know why you think she's a bad choice. The song you mentioned is in her only song, nor is it her only hit. She was a star in the seventies, that had some issues with drugs, like many other stars of that era. She never made it as big as, say, Whitney Houston or Janet Jackson, but she certainly influenced those Stars! She's influenced lots of singers, and she sings beautifully in her own right. I think it's high time they pay some homage to her, which is most likely why she was chosen.
In the 70's she released a song called "I'm Every Woman" which is not a classic by any measure. Nor is "I Was Made to Love Him", also released in her solo effort of the 70's. Kahn was also in a band called Rufus, of which I've never before heard. I still do not understand why she's the Grand Marshall.

Here are her greatest hits, and I don't think any of them are considered classics from their respective music eras:

https://www.axs.com/the-10-best-chaka-khan-songs-31509

Old 10-21-2018, 09:31 PM

281 posts, read 307,127 times
Quote:
In the 70's she released a song called "I'm Every Woman" which is not a classic by any measure. Nor is "I Was Made to Love Him", also released in her solo effort of the 70's. Kahn was also in a band called Rufus, of which I've never before heard. I still do not understand why she's the Grand Marshall.

Here are her greatest hits, and I don't think any of them are considered classics from their respective music eras:

I can only hope your 15, saying some stupid crap like this! First of all, a classic depends on the genre, as well as who's judging it. In terms of Soul / R&B music, of which she was a part of, she has sung on a couple of classics. "Tell me something good" is one of them. The song you slammed, "I feel for you", in which they're repeating her name over and over, is also a classic, in terms of pop music. How you don't consider "I'm every woman" to be a classic, regardless of how young you may be, is beyond me! Just because you don't know if something or personally don't like it doesn't mean it isn't beloved buy lots of others. For instance, I can't remember the title of one song Led Zeppelin sang, nor do I like any of their music, not so much as one song. Yet, I recognize they are a classic group, with classic songs. I just personally didn't like them.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 PM

12,310 posts, read 8,032,511 times
Just looking at a list of the Grand Marshals in my lifetime I see a few who would only be known by a relatively narrow fan base. With Aretha gone Chaka Khan might be number 3 or 4 survivor in her genre behind Tina Turner, Patti LaBelle and Gladys Knight. And she probably has more notoriety outside of her Funk roots in Jazz then the others have outside of R&B and Gospel pop crossovers..

Old 10-21-2018, 10:07 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,480,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
I can only hope your 15, saying some stupid crap like this! First of all, a classic depends on the genre, as well as who's judging it. In terms of Soul / R&B music, of which she was a part of, she has sung on a couple of classics. "Tell me something good" is one of them. The song you slammed, "I feel for you", in which they're repeating her name over and over, is also a classic, in terms of pop music. How you don't consider "I'm every woman" to be a classic, regardless of how young you may be, is beyond me! Just because you don't know if something or personally don't like it doesn't mean it isn't beloved buy lots of others. For instance, I can't remember the title of one song Led Zeppelin sang, nor do I like any of their music, not so much as one song. Yet, I recognize they are a classic group, with classic songs. I just personally didn't like them.
Nooope, that's not it.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
With Aretha gone Chaka Khan might be number 3 or 4 survivor in her genre behind Tina Turner, Patti LaBelle and Gladys Knight.
With the queen gone thats probably why...

Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 PM

They don't even play this song on K-Earth for crying out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX9E44mClKs

Old 10-21-2018, 10:32 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,706,818 times
Quote:

Wow, someone doesn't deserve to be Grand Marshal just because you don't like their music or heard of their songs. Very narrow minded.

Let's hear about what songs you like so we can crap on that!!!

Last edited by Vic Romano; 10-21-2018 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles