Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 12:35 AM

10 posts, read 18,575 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer with and aerospace company in Palmdale and I would like to know a good place to live. I’m married 2 school age kids and my wife will most likely work in L.A. we need a midway point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:03 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Rancho Vista, west of the freeway. That's if you live in Palmdale. A good halfway location is Valencia. From there, you'll be commuting against the traffic. Your wife will have it tough, but if she works in the Valley, it will be a fairly short, albeit hectic commute.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnavyvet View Post
I just received a job offer with and aerospace company in Palmdale and I would like to know a good place to live. I’m married 2 school age kids and my wife will most likely work in L.A. we need a midway point.
Midway between Palmdale and LA? One of you will be pending a lot of time on the FRWY.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:42 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
It is a horrific drive. Why do you assume she will need a job in Los Angeles? If you both work in Palmdale or Lancaster, you have a ton of options.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Rancho Vista, west of the freeway. That's if you live in Palmdale. A good halfway location is Valencia. From there, you'll be commuting against the traffic. Your wife will have it tough, but if she works in the Valley, it will be a fairly short, albeit hectic commute.
+1

I have a brother there in Rancho Vista (West Palmdale) and he and his wife love it. They have two kids.

It's a good neighborhood.

If you can afford it, Acton is a ranch-themed community on the southern edge of Palmdale.

West Lancaster (93536) and Quartz Hill are good too, but they are further north of Palmdale.

Why does your wife need to work in LA?

Old 10-23-2018, 05:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
I agree that Santa Clarita/Valencia could work. I live in Santa Clarita and commute to Burbank and it takes me 35-45 min each way on average. Depending on where you in Santa Clarita and where in LA/SFV your wife has to commute it could easily take 1-2 hours each way. If your wife worked in downtown LA or on the west side for example the commute from Palmdale could be 3 hours each way.

Commuting from Santa Clarita to Palmdale for you would probably be 45 minutes on average. Don't underestimate LA traffic and it's only getting worse. It's especially getting worse coming to and from Palmdale to LA on the 14 and will keep getting worse as the Santa Clarita is set to see a huge build out of new homes and you have to pass through that traffic to get from Palmdale to LA or SFV. The best answer as suggested was have your wife find a job in Palmdale/Lancaster or close to it. Salaries might not be as high but you also need to consider the cost of gas and wear on car. Gas is constantly around $3.50-4/gallon here and potentially driving 120 miles or more round trip every day will add up.

On another note, Valencia and some of the other communities in Santa Clarita have excellent public school systems. Palmdale has terrible schools. If you have kids that might be something to consider. There is a lot of business in Santa Clarita also and it's expanding as companies are moving there from LA and SFV now and there is also planned expansion of office and industrial parks in the next 10+ years so there will probably be more jobs moving there so your wife may be able to find a decent job there and then you would just have to deal with the commute to and from Palmdale from Santa Clarita

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post

On another note, Valencia and some of the other communities in Santa Clarita have excellent public school systems. Palmdale has terrible schools. If you have kids that might be something to consider. There is a lot of business in Santa Clarita also and it's expanding as companies are moving there from LA and SFV now and there is also planned expansion of office and industrial parks in the next 10+ years so there will probably be more jobs moving there so your wife may be able to find a decent job there and then you would just have to deal with the commute to and from Palmdale from Santa Clarita
Not necessarily. The Greg Anderson Academy, SOAR High School, Hillview Middle School and Rancho Vista Elementary in Palmdale are all very good. It boils down to parental support and involvement more than anything else.

Last edited by kttam186290; 10-23-2018 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 01:34 AM

She doesn’t have to work in LA she is a Human Resources professional so I’m sure opportunities will come from all over. Thing is I will have to head west first to start work and find living arrangements as she won’t be out until after the holidays. Once she gets there she will start applying to jobs and We like to be in a mid way area so she can have as many opportunities as possible. Also the school system is extremely important.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
+1

I have a brother there in Rancho Vista (West Palmdale) and he and his wife love it. They have two kids.

It's a good neighborhood.

If you can afford it, Acton is a ranch-themed community on the southern edge of Palmdale.

West Lancaster (93536) and Quartz Hill are good too, but they are further north of Palmdale.

Why does your wife need to work in LA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I agree that Santa Clarita/Valencia could work. I live in Santa Clarita and commute to Burbank and it takes me 35-45 min each way on average. Depending on where you in Santa Clarita and where in LA/SFV your wife has to commute it could easily take 1-2 hours each way. If your wife worked in downtown LA or on the west side for example the commute from Palmdale could be 3 hours each way.

Commuting from Santa Clarita to Palmdale for you would probably be 45 minutes on average. Don't underestimate LA traffic and it's only getting worse. It's especially getting worse coming to and from Palmdale to LA on the 14 and will keep getting worse as the Santa Clarita is set to see a huge build out of new homes and you have to pass through that traffic to get from Palmdale to LA or SFV. The best answer as suggested was have your wife find a job in Palmdale/Lancaster or close to it. Salaries might not be as high but you also need to consider the cost of gas and wear on car. Gas is constantly around $3.50-4/gallon here and potentially driving 120 miles or more round trip every day will add up.

I’m really leaning towards the Santa Clarita area. I’ve done a little research since your post and I like what I’ve seen as far as Schools are concerned. We will be renting the first year we are there, would you recommend and aprartment complexes?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:13 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
I’m really leaning towards the Santa Clarita area. I’ve done a little research since your post and I like what I’ve seen as far as Schools are concerned. We will be renting the first year we are there, would you recommend and aprartment complexes?
I don't have recommendations on apartment complexes but there are plenty of options. There are also a lot of private owned condos and houses for rent. Padmapper is a good site to look for rentals. Valencia, Saugus and Stevenson Ranch will probably be the best choices for school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles