Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 19,855 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I currently am working in the lake Balboa area, and am seeking a nice area to buy my first home and raise a family. I sorta like some of the nice homes in Porter Ranch, but have been hearing about those Santa Ana winds.....Are there any areas of Porter Ranch like further South, maybe south of the 118 freeway/Rinaldi where the winds aren't so bad?

Anyone currently living in Porter Ranch have any pros/cons they can share, i heard they are building a new mall there too....

I was also considering woodland hills. I'm not the biggest fan of Tarzana/Encino, and Sherman Oaks and Studio city seem a little too expensive for me

Appreciate any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 08:44 PM

Also, what part of the year and for how many months do the Santa Ana winds typically blow for

Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,299,233 times
Lake Balboa is a decent area , the prices are still relatively affordable .
I know people that have lived there many years and their street and area are quiet they’ve never had any problems .

Porter Ranch is nice , not too sure about the winds.

There is a lot of new development large homes in the million dollar range .

The new shopping center development is called the vineyards this Is their website. Looks like it should be pretty nice .
https://www.thevineyards.com

I like Woodland Hills , personally id say it’s the best mix of safety , amenities and value for price . It’s not cheap but it’s not studio city /Sherman Oaks Prices .
There is more development underway and I see it being more of a desirable area.

West Hills is a nice family area too. Prices lower than Woodland Hills . Many of the homes have pretty decent sized lots.

What type of home and price range are you looking in ?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:42 PM

about a million

Old 11-02-2018, 01:44 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,889,309 times
Please be aware of the gas leak two years ago that forced 1,000 residents out of their homes. According to some, people are still getting sick and I don't know anyone who is guaranteeing that the area is absolutely safe. Please do your research, buyer beware.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018...nyon-ailments/

Old 11-02-2018, 02:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,299,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Please be aware of the gas leak two years ago that forced 1,000 residents out of their homes. According to some, people are still getting sick and I don't know anyone who is guaranteeing that the area is absolutely safe. Please do your research, buyer beware.

Yeah I would be concerned about that in the Porter Ranch area .

Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 AM

8,250 posts, read 6,307,346 times
The big church in Porter Ranch Shepherd Church s the best church, The wind is only once in awhile but blows harder in the Porter Ranch area than other areas. I wouldn't not buy there because of the occasional wind.
It's a nice area, I saw in the paper the medium house price was $710,000 and that was a couple of years ago.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,991,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post

I was going to add this until I read your post. As far as I know the problem has not been completely addressed, and for this reason alone I would not consider Porter Ranch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The big church in Porter Ranch Shepherd Church s the best church, The wind is only once in awhile but blows harder in the Porter Ranch area than other areas. I wouldn't not buy there because of the occasional wind.
It's a nice area, I saw in the paper the medium house price was $710,000 and that was a couple of years ago.
^^^^ Good advice!

to OP:

Also, just check zillow.com. The Zestimates are really just guesstimates, so don't take the prices too seriously, but the aggregate prices are usable.

Actually Lake Balboa (and pretty much all the Valley, and really all of LA) prices are going up like crazy. One of my GFs lives there. It's a great place and great location for recreation at the Sepulveda Basin.

Unless you hate your house I suggest you just stay. Also, check into Prop. 13 and how it will affect your property taxes. If you can't port your basis over you're .... &%&$@#ed.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,691,576 times
Buy earthquake insurance...

Old 11-06-2018, 06:06 PM

472 posts, read 318,710 times
Better make sure that gas leak is capped and that they don't resume drilling and what not. Pay attention to the advocate lawyers -- Not the lying politicians who say that the gas leaks have been contained. Porter Ranch is also close to that Santa Susana Field Laboratory. Hopefully the wind doesn't blow in the direction of Porter Ranch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...eld_Laboratory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles