Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:54 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
Well, I guess their entire original squad are all homeowners now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr836yDulEU

Even Meredith Foster (who had a falling out with the other members of the squad).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Frn7IoqH0

I believe her home is under 1 million, because she purchased a fixer upper, but I'm sure it was still around ~850K, because it's in Los Angeles.

it's very impressive. My issue is, I can only afford a home that's 450K.
Yeah in L.A Area puts you in a pretty rough hood for $450K these days for a house . Houses in Compton go for that much or sometimes more ,

You can find some condos or townhomes though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
But the backyard area is absolutely gorgeous. I've always wanted to have an outdoor area with beautiful plants and an infinity pool.
Congrats to them, and the infinity pools in Bel-Air are epic you can see all of West LA, and Downtown from the pool!
Something like this https://www.google.com/search?q=infi...W4N1j81aYTbCM:

Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,692 times
Houses in the hills like that are in very fire prone areas. Fire insurance is likely to skyrocket after these fires and they are saying that coverage just won't be available in some ares or will be extremely expensive (I was speaking with an insurance industry expert). Also, once the fires are gone and it starts to rain, we have floods and mudslides. It's like most things - it looks pretty on paper, but when you dig into the details you find there are a lot of very expensive potential problems (and, as has been mentioned, this is not cheap real estate to begin with).

Old 11-14-2018, 01:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Houses in the hills like that are in very fire prone areas. Fire insurance is likely to skyrocket after these fires and they are saying that coverage just won't be available in some ares or will be extremely expensive (I was speaking with an insurance industry expert). Also, once the fires are gone and it starts to rain, we have floods and mudslides. It's like most things - it looks pretty on paper, but when you dig into the details you find there are a lot of very expensive potential problems (and, as has been mentioned, this is not cheap real estate to begin with).
Yeah I was thinking insurance is going to be insane in these areas.

It will be interesting to see what the effect will be on market prices if any .

Old 11-14-2018, 02:47 PM

195 posts, read 130,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Is cost really an issue for people who can afford those million dollar homes? It's definitely an issue for regular working class folks, but I doubt that increases in insurance will be a major problem for rich people...

Old 11-14-2018, 02:51 PM

195 posts, read 130,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I was thinking insurance is going to be insane in these areas.

It will be interesting to see what the effect will be on market prices if any .
Even though the area is prone to fires, it's still in very high demand.

If I could afford the area, I'd definitely move there.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:04 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Is cost really an issue for people who can afford those million dollar homes? It's definitely an issue for regular working class folks, but I doubt that increases in insurance will be a major problem for rich people...

It might be the straw that breaks the camels back. We have to pay high utilities, high prop taxes, some have to pay flood insurance and melloroos, It all adds up and more and more people just can't afford a home here anymore.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:30 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Calabasas is hotter than and similarly priced to westlake village. Fire danger is about the same... if you aren't on the edge of a natural area at risk, and have a modern house with appropriate construction you are pretty safe from the kind of fire storm like we just had. I have a million dollar house and cost of insurance is an issue, so I'm not sure why you think only people rich enough not to care live in them. There is no way I would move to Calabasas though because I need a place where I can use windows to cool off in the summer and its way too close to LA...to save 10 minutes commuting time isn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles