Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:53 PM

30,159 posts, read 23,545,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Your estimation of rent is incorrect. There are plenty of 1 bedroom Apts in the $1200-1500 range. Nice cities too like Burbank in the SFV or Lomita and Torrance in South Bay.

Not in Downtown or on the Westside though.
He said Los Angeles, not cities around Los Angeles. These are all in LA county, but they are not "Los Angeles".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 01:09 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,789,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
He said Los Angeles, not cities around Los Angeles. These are all in LA county, but they are not "Los Angeles".
If you want to start splitting hairs SFV is city of Los Angeles. Burbank, Lomita and Torrance are all independent cities that boarder city of Los Angeles. Living in Burbank, Lomita or Torrance give you the same advantages of living in the city of Los Angeles without all of the disadvantages that come with the extremely ineptness of the Los Angeles city government and services

Old 11-14-2018, 01:28 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This comment would not be made by someone who's lived in LA for any length of time...do you really live here?

To the OP, I understand it will be harder to find a job if you're not physically here, but you've got to start somewhere. But if you do your research and do find a good job before you move, it will be all worthwhile. And it will help narrow down where you want to rent.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,638,370 times
Also keep in mind the cost of commuting. You could end up living a good distance from your job (because inexpensive apartments are not cheap. I am very familiar with the Burbank housing market (someone mentioned above) and you would be doing well to find a studio for under $1,600/mo. Gas is almost $4 a gallon (and it over that in some neighborhoods). Car insurance is more expensive here and you have to have liability to get insurance - and driving without insurance is illegal and just asking for trouble. There are many independent cities within LA County that have their own water treatment plants (do some research and focus on some of these first as they should be less competitive than the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP).

Old 11-14-2018, 03:09 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,794,378 times
A studio you can get for $1400. A 1 bedroom? It will be either be old and gross or in a neighborhood you will not feel comfortable in. Many people come here thinking they will live in Hollywood and then end up not because Hollywood is not a nice place to live.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,789,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
A studio you can get for $1400. A 1 bedroom? It will be either be old and gross or in a neighborhood you will not feel comfortable in. Many people come here thinking they will live in Hollywood and then end up not because Hollywood is not a nice place to live.
I moved here 12 years ago and got a studio in Hollywood for about $1000. It was a nice building but the neighborhood got old fast and I moved after about 6 months. I haven't had a need to go to Hollywood in years (and I actually work in film/tv industry). I assume it's nicer then when I left but traffic and tourists where worse then the homeless and prostitutes when I lived there

Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 PM

545 posts, read 509,041 times
I think you should be able to find job in something similar to what you do now. Maybe a job with a utility company. Just be sure you have at least a 2 year stint at your current place of employment. It will say a lot about you and when an employer hears that you have saved $25K, have solid work experience, etc you will come across as a very good potential hire.

Good luck

Old 11-15-2018, 06:33 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,305,593 times
you said you are from Maryland so I am guessing you went to the Univ of Maryland-if you move to LA there is a Maryland alumni group in LA you can network with to find a job and make new friends
https://alumni.umd.edu/regional-networks/los-angeles
https://www.facebook.com/TerpsLA/
Even if you did not go to UM I would join the Facebook club and try to attend some events to make friends and network-there are also Ravens and Redskins bars in LA in which u can do the same
While I like LA a lot better than Maryland, living in LA is not for everyone so when you visit spend at least a couple of weeks in LA to make sure you like it before you move to LA (like anyplace it is not for everyone). you can do temp work at staffing agencies like officeteam while you look for a permanent job

Old 12-25-2018, 05:55 PM

21 posts, read 20,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsujin44 View Post
Hi,

I have never been to LA but I have always dreamed about living there (who hasnt?), but I plan on making a visit sometime in the next few months. The only other place I have lived other than my parents place in Maryland is Orlando FL, which is pretty cheap, but the opprotunities are pretty few and far between, and it does not have the big city feel at all.

I think my brother and I would be comfortable with a 1 bedroom, and I wouldnt want to pay anymore than 1400 a month between us for rent, and utilities. He is interested in living in Hollywood.
As someone else suggested, I would highly recommend that you visit Los Angeles before your move. I now live in Florida, but have lived in the greater Los Angeles area for many years. We eventually left because the quality of life is seriously lacking. The cost of living is through the roof and the traffic is horrendous. Most of Hollywood is not a great area (unless you move to West Hollywood or the Hollywood Hills, which are both out of your budget). Los Angeles may sound glamorous and glorified if you're from out of the area. It may be an interesting place to visit. However, living there is a different story. At minimum, go visit before you move there and try to see things the way they are rather than the way you would like them to be.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 PM

658 posts, read 822,425 times
I saw that in worst jobs ever, they have to dive in a vat filled with kaka and go undo a clog. Who would want to do that for any kind of money. Sewage Diver Canalization Wastewater Cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It is not that easy to find something better. Have you talked to the water treatment plants in LA about job openings. It is hard to make a living as barista, restaurant server in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles