Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Having lived in LA for almost 2 years, the realization is that most of this city looks very depressing.

Yes there are beaches, but most are crowded and flooded with tourists/druggies. And don't get me wrong, there are absolutely beautiful pockets, but step outside of those and things immediately start to look like a 3rd world country.

There is a lack of water aside from the beaches as you get inland, unless you want to drive 4 hours to Big Bear. Most of the landscape is dry and brown, including all the hiking trails and the mountains which all look the same due to the lack of greenery. Compared to much of the Bay Area, PNW, and San Diego, with tree-lined streets and bodies of water all around, LA would rank dead last. Why we still keep hearing that "LA is beautiful" and people posting pictures of a polluted and unspectacular skyline with a brown/barren backdrop is beyond me. Am I just totally missing the beauty here?
If the city of Los Angeles California is 10% "drop dead gorgeous beautiful " (and )" 90% butt ugly" what is attracting 4 million + residences to the city of Los Angeles California...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 07:58 PM

661 posts, read 833,210 times
LA has good weather, look at Oregon or Washington nice lush and green but a price is paid that greenery like no sun an constant drizzle.

LA you can purchase a home in the hills with spectacular views of Downtown, hills, even the Ocean, some places you feel way outside the city but yet just minutes away. Everything is here, any type of food, store, clothing you can get in Los Angeles. The beaches are nice and not full of druggies a proclaimed by the original post.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:11 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Yes you are. Just piling on to the "I hate LA" bandwagon? Sour grapes. How about comparing to Chicago, Detroit, etc...

I've been to Chicago. Rusty bridges, grey snow on the streets in winter, giant potholes. Don't even think of stepping into the South side.
Nobody in LA should be one to complain about giant potholes anywhere else!

They are worse than ever here.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:20 PM

8,333 posts, read 2,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Nobody in LA should be one to complain about giant potholes anywhere else!

They are worse than ever here.

Bingo. The city/state taxes the crap out of everybody. Where is the money going? I navigate for my wife when she drives mostly warning her of oncoming potholes. It's ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Having lived in LA for almost 2 years, the realization is that most of this city looks very depressing.

Yes there are beaches, but most are crowded and flooded with tourists/druggies. And don't get me wrong, there are absolutely beautiful pockets, but step outside of those and things immediately start to look like a 3rd world country.

There is a lack of water aside from the beaches as you get inland, unless you want to drive 4 hours to Big Bear. Most of the landscape is dry and brown, including all the hiking trails and the mountains which all look the same due to the lack of greenery. Compared to much of the Bay Area, PNW, and San Diego, with tree-lined streets and bodies of water all around, LA would rank dead last. Why we still keep hearing that "LA is beautiful" and people posting pictures of a polluted and unspectacular skyline with a brown/barren backdrop is beyond me. Am I just totally missing the beauty here?
You make no mention of the mountains.

I get up and see the San Gabriel Mountains, now with snow on them and think how beautiful, and even after 30 years of living here still marvel at them.

Doesn't sound like you get around LA much, not unusual, some people never wonder too far from where they live.

I can think of plenty of places with tree lined streets.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Maybe he thinks of those beach areas as the 10%. Go half mile in Torrance beach and your in Torrance one of the ugliest most depressing cities in so cal.

I went to Florida and all the greenery there was a shock to my eyes. I'm so used to dead scrub brush here.

I def agree with the 90/10 ratio
Wait till you get to Tuscon...LOL.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Wait till you get to Tuscon...LOL.
No kidding. Better love that desert...

Old 12-30-2018, 08:44 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No kidding. Better love that desert...
Luckily I do. I'll take desert over Torrance any day. We spent the day in Palm Springs today and I was in heaven

Old 12-31-2018, 03:20 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Bingo. The city/state taxes the crap out of everybody. Where is the money going? I navigate for my wife when she drives mostly warning her of oncoming potholes. It's ridiculous.
They're getting worse and worse every year. I have reported the same ones multiple times (often getting bigger and bigger) and the city does nothing.

Often they are on the side of the roads and pop up suddenly so you can't really do anything about them. Where is this taxation going??? I must know.

The roads of LA are no better than Detroit/Chicago/New York's, if not worse.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Any large city will be a portion ugly. I'd argue that even some of our poorer areas look nicer than the poorer areas of other large cities. Of course if you choose the most extreme example of Skid Row or something that won't hold but I'm talking about areas that are just full of normal, everyday working people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles