Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:16 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,638,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
So that thing with giant 1100 foot skyscrapers with a huge intermodal train station that Amtrak, Metrolink, Metro bus, the red and purple line subway and the gold, expo, and blue line all converge in that just happens to be in geographic center of the Los Angeles municipality isn't the center of the city? Didn't know that, thanks for informing us.

This is a good example of the problem with most L.A. transit related threads-basic empirical facts are discarded so negative stereotypes can be propagated.
Look at a map. Downtown LA is not in the center of the city. It's east of center and it's very clear on a map. Go over to TripAdvisor and there are a ton of threads telling tourists this same thing - often with links to maps that demonstrate the fact. Just because it's called "downtown" doesn't mean it is centrally located.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 PM

924 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Look at a map. Downtown LA is not in the center of the city. It's east of center and it's very clear on a map. Go over to TripAdvisor and there are a ton of threads telling tourists this same thing - often with links to maps that demonstrate the fact. Just because it's called "downtown" doesn't mean it is centrally located.
You are correct it is not the center of LA city but it is the center of LA county which makes more sense as LA city is very haphazard and makes little geographical sense. It’s also very much the center for Greater LA which includes OC and the IE.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:29 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,185,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaag View Post
I will be visiting LA for a month early next year. I want to probably stay in the center of LA to be near a train station so that I do not have to drive everywhere all the time. Is there anything that I need to know about riding the train in LA in general?

I rode it before from LAX to Downtown and didn't have any problems. When I rode it years had to pay on each line that you take so if you take the green line from LAX to the blue line downtown I think I had to pay twice. Is it the same now or is it where you can pay one time per trip?

Is it reliable and safe in general?

Thanks!

I can't help but wonder how sheltered some people have to be, based on some of these responses. If you take public transit just about anywhere in the world (especially Western countries), you'll see people with behavior that may be against some social norm. I think some of these same people would be disturbed if they knew behaviors going on in their "normal" neighborhoods. I don't take it to/from work because it's too impractical, but I do use the trains somewhat regularly. I've had no problems, and no one bothers me. As with anywhere, the wisest thing to do is to just ignore it as though it's nothing unusual. The boogeyman stories you're getting are laughable at best, and odds are no harm will come to you as long as you use common sense (such as safeguarding valuables, moving a backpack or purse in front of you, etc.) I will actually opt for the trains or buses in some cases just because I don't want to deal with the hassle of driving and finding parking.

As to some specifics:
-You could stay near downtown to have access to more lines, but look carefully because some hotels are a haul from the nearest station

-You'll first need to buy a Tap card from the vending machines, then you can just reload fares as needed
-Per above, plan ahead: if you'll do one round-trip, or up to three boardings it's cheaper to buy two(or three) single rides; four boardings or more (or if you want to use bus transfers) you can buy a $7 day pass, and I believe there are even 7- and 30-day passes also good on trains and buses (including transfers)

-Per the last statement, also look at bus routes, because there are some places/attractions you can't access by train at this time, such as the Farmer's Market and the Grove, the Miracle Mile, Venice Beach, Sunset Strip, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills, most theme parks, etc.

-As a secondary measure, I would be sure to set up a Lyft account for incidentals
-You could stay on or near Wilshire in some parts of Koreatown, but be warned that the end of the Purple Line is at Wilshire/Western (still plenty of hotels within walking distance) and the Red/Purple track leads to the most confusion on trains bound away from Union Station

Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,225,766 times
Quote:
Given the obtuse shape of L.A. city, I'd say it's close enough. Chicago is nowhere near being the geographic center of the U.S., but in terms of taking a train, bus, or plane somewhere, it's the center of the U.S.

DTLA has been the center of not only L.A. metro, but all of southern California since at least the 1880's. If you're using public transportation to go anywhere in southern California, there's nowhere more central than DTLA.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,367,175 times
I agree. Downtown LA is the center of the LA Metro and region. Are there other competing areas? Yes. Is Downtown dominant in everything? No. Thats just how the city/metro area is set up. Some areas have niches like one is a more touristy area. Or one is more a shopping area. One has more museums. Or more tech jobs area. and so on. Downtown LA has a little of everything. For example, museums are around Mid-city miracle mile area or ExpoUSC park or Pasadena but Downtown has many as well. Or office skyscraper jobs is in Downtown but also in Koreatown, Century City, Westwood. Nightlife is big in Downtown but also in West Hollywood, Hollywood, Santa Monica and other smaller areas. Upscale hotels are in Downtown and Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, West Hollywood. Thats what I mean when Downtown's name is usually included in most places to go for things. But it isn't the only place.

The past 20 years things have looked better for Downtown. Many rail lines going to Downtown. Lots of renovation of old historic buildings for new purposes like hotels, bars, residential, offices, and so on. Lots of high rises and skyscrapers being built. New shops and restaurants for all income levels. It is only a fraction of the way there.

I hate when people say Downtown is literally not the center of LA. It is on the eastern border. Well Duh. It is like saying Manhattan is not the center of NYC. It is somewhere in Brooklyn. Or Union Square isn't the center of San Francisco. It is probably around Twin Peaks. So trying to physically measure a place of equal distance is really stupid way to measure the center of a city. This isn't London or Paris where the actual center Is the actual center.

Back on topic. The public transportation system is relatively safe. Stuff happens like in every city because this is America and America is not a low crime country esp in the cities. Many people use public transit but only like 10% of LA people use it as a daily commute. Usually weekends slightly more people use it for stuff like going to sport games or going out for drinks and not driving but taking a cab/uber back. The Metro trains are a faster way to get around though limited in coverage, but buses do most of the workload and go everywhere yet suffer stuck in car traffic. I sometimes take bus/train home at night after 9pm when not many people use it so it might feel isolated. I use my phone to figure out when the next train/bus arrives so I dont have to wait at the street or platform for too long.

For prices: TAP cards are $2 now. TAP can used in nearly 20 LA County area transit agencies. Metro is one of the many transit agencies but by far the largest. They run Metro buses and Metro rail system. Cost is $1.75.
Metro currently offers TAP card users 2 hours of free transfers one-way trip for $1.75. So if you need to get from a Metro bus in Pasadena to Metro Gold line, to Metro Red line to Metro Expo line to Santa Monica. If within 2 hours, then those 4 segments is only 1.75 total. Thats a great deal. Sadly, if you just want to go 1 mile down the street that is the same price. So not so much of a great deal. Anyway. Metro offers a daily unlimited bus/rail pass for $7 on your TAP card or $25 for a weekly pass. These passes are only good on Metro and not other transit agencies like DASH or Santa Monica bus or LAX Flyaway. I would recommend getting the weekly pass if you plan to use it a lot for 4 full days or more.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:43 AM

46,810 posts, read 25,719,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Take the trains in LA all the time. Never had any problems. Most people that say transit are bad in LA probably have never tried it before.
Same here. I've commuted by public transportation for years and use it for recreational trips as well. Yep, there's a bit of street theater at times. As someone put it, take big city precautions and you'll be fine.

Add to that the ability to have your cellphone figure out a workable route for you...

Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM

46,810 posts, read 25,719,548 times
Quote:
When used in the colloquial, "center of a city" doesn't always mean in a strict geographical sense. And when we're talking public transport, downtown is in fact the hub.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,367,175 times
I sometimes read the TripAdvisor forum threads. There is strong westside bias on there. Also if you look at any tourist book or those free tourist maps, they show you a partial map of the area from SAnta Monica to Universal Studios, Beverly Hills, Hollywood to Downtown. Nothing exists beyond north or east of the LA River, South of the 10 freeway and east of the 405, and east of Downtown.
For a tourist not knowing LA, yeah you would think the city center of that map is around like Beverly Hills or adjacent areas and Downtown is the eastern edge. You have recognizable names like LACMA, Tar Pits, Grove Mall, Melrose, West Hollywood, Hollywood and surrounding it are Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, Getty, UCLA, Universal Griffith Park. Something I find funny is many of those tourists dont have idea on the distances the distances on the map are in real life.

But for anyone who knows LA would know that Downtown is the center not just for public transport but freeways, too. So many lead into Downtown forming almost a web-like, spokes on a wheel look like the Metro trains.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:43 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,225,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post

But for anyone who knows LA would know that Downtown is the center not just for public transport but freeways, too. So many lead into Downtown forming almost a web-like, spokes on a wheel look like the Metro trains.
There hasn't been period in modern history in which DTLA wasn't overwhelmingly the center of Metro L.A. and southern California. If you combine finance, entertainment, fashion, manufacturing, government, rail, freeways, intermodal shipping, its always been the hub.

IMO, the "doesn't have a center" meme comes from people who are frustrated with the fact that there are random intersections in Los Angeles with more clout and relevance than the downtowns of other major cites-L.A. shouldn't be penalized for having multiple important areas in the city.

Last edited by Losfrisco; 12-08-2018 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 01:43 AM

924 posts, read 1,050,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
There hasn't been period in modern history in which DTLA wasn't overwhelmingly the center of Metro L.A. and southern California. If you combine finance, entertainment, fashion, manufacturing, government, rail, freeways, intermodal shipping, its always been the hub.

IMO, the "doesn't have a center" meme comes from people who are frustrated with the fact that there are random intersections in Los Angeles with more clout and relevance than the downtowns of other major cites-L.A. shouldn't be penalized for having multiple important areas in the city.
You are so correct, and most of the LA ‘centers” are well connected by Metro Rail or Metrolink. These include Pasadena, Santa Monica, Long Beach, Burbank, Glendale, North Hollywood, Universal City, and of course DTLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles