Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:49 PM

76 posts, read 283,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
Yeah, I'm like you; I'm specific when referring to someone's national status because most everybody is very proud of their national status and I do not want to unintentionally offend anyone. To me: Mexicans are Mexican Nationals. Hispanics are (in my mind) Hispanic-Americans of Mexican/Spanish descent.

As far as 'mexicans living in L.A. long before L.A. existed': all I can think of is that someone is being casual (or lacks education re history), and not to criticize that person, but when it comes to borders/nationality/history these days, its way better to be specific and that way misunderstandings are avoided (but then, that's me).

Have a happy New Year!

Cali-girl

well the poster that your referring to is me. I made the comment that Mexicans were here before there was an L.A. It was a joking response to the poster that had stated that Mexicans had been in L.A. for a long long time( that poster was responding other posters that had basically stated that L.A. and california in general was a white european area and the mean bad mexicans came over and ruined it- and therefore didnt care if someone was legal or illegal all Mexicans should leave Calif.) it was my way of saying they just didnt come over one day they were here before Europe "discovered " America.

As you probably know, Mexico's territory was not where it is today. More than half of the united states belonged to Mexico so even some of the native americans i.e. "American Indian" were on Mexican territory therefore by definition they were Mexicans. Of course when the U.S. took over they adopted them as their own. Just like when someone is born here in America doesnt matter where there nationality is originally they are American.

As for your Political Correctness in the beginning of your post. I dont bow down to all the P.C. bull ( pardon me but that is what it has come to). Yes I am polite and I am respectful but--you cant please everyone all the time so believe it or not no matter how much you try --you will offend someone. It cant be helped-- some people just like to be offended so they can stay a victim and not be accountable for their own actions.
So when you call someone from Mexico a Mexican, that is not an insult. I have never heard of one instance of a person from Mexico getting offended because they were called a Mexican.

Happy new year

Last edited by wifmmmy; 01-01-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
The person said there were "Mexicans" in L.A. long before it was L.A!!!

I am asking what constitutes a "mexican" in pre-L.A. times. (follow?!)

my post was a joking response to another poster that basically stated that mexicans have been in L.A. for a long time. before the Europeans "discovered" L.A. it was Mexican territory so therefore the people living there were Mexicans by definition. there were different tribes etc . but they were still in Mexican territory. It was my way of saying that the Mexican did not come over and destroy white town u.s.a. Mexicans were here first.

Last edited by wifmmmy; 01-01-2007 at 11:12 PM..

Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
Los Angeles was founded by Europeans (e.g. Spaniards). Before Europeans came to the area, there was nothing more than a few palm trees and perhap a wigwam or two. There were no "Aztecs" living in Los Angeles at the time, nor is there any evidence to suggest that there ever were.

your right there might not have been Aztecs in the L.A. area but there were Mexican tribes there. so the europeans, either spaniards or white did not "discover" L.A. How can you discover something that someone else is already living on?

Last edited by wifmmmy; 01-01-2007 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Thanks Cali-girl!

When people mention mexican, i think of a mexican national and Mexico as an entity! Why don't people refer to those natives in Mexico as native mexican or native (central) americans? It would clear the air quite a bit when someone mentions "mexicans living in L.A. long before L.A. existed".

>>>Mexican tribes that were in areas that are now U.S. states such as Utah, california, washington, Idaho etc. would you call them native central Americans? those areas are not in central america so why would you call them that? they are now called Native Americans ( but in general Americans dont think of Native Americans were originally in Mexican territory)
what would you call a man that was born in Guadalajara, Mexico has French, English, Spanish, Aztec, --now is a legal resident in the u.s. and a truck driver? Instead of calling him a big list of P.C. words I call him a Mexican Man a proud Mexican Man and I also call him my husband. and he is not offended if you call him a Mexican cuz that is what he is plain and simple. I was born in the U.S. I have Irish, Scottish , English , and about 4 different indian tribes. What do you call me? I am an American plain in simple. the Political Correctness has to have a line drawn somewhere.

Last edited by wifmmmy; 01-02-2007 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,004 times
I thought a person born in another country, such as Ireland, who becomes an American Citizen, may declare themselves Irish-American, likewise the individual born in Africa and becomes an American citizen can be declared an African American get it...?
Just because some South American immigrants come through Mexico to the U.S. and become citizens doesn't make them Mexican Americans That is just silly.
Besides, We are all Americans once we gain our citizenship... Thats It...
All these special labels , and groups , based on heritage are for selfish *look-at-me* , *look-at-me* reasons.
In the meantime, well, just watch the State of the Union Address tonight and you will see where * that * has gotten us.
United we stand , divided we fall.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,003 times
Thumbs up Living in L.A.!

I've lived in LA for going on 40 years and while other parts of our country may have snow,or less congestion, or less immigration patterns, more rain...etc. very few have access to all that So. Cal. provides. I've lived in Louisville, Seattle, Frankfurt Germany,Panama, Korea, and Alaska, and they all have good things to recommend them, but I always come home to L.A. As for immigration,legal and otherwise, OUR COUNTRY is built on the backs of immigrant labor. Yes we have problems, yes we need to work together but alienating them from us is not the solution. I'm reminded of a sign I saw prior to this years Rose Bowl-To Mich. visitors-welcome to LA, enjoy the game,spend your money-now go home!

Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM

652 posts, read 2,803,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifmmmy View Post
your right there might not have been Aztecs in the L.A. area but there were Mexican tribes there. so the europeans, either spaniards or white did not "discover" L.A. How can you discover something that someone else is already living on?
There were not ethnic Mexican tribes living in California. There were North American Indians here, but not Meso-Americans.

California is more the territory of Spain than of Mexico.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 PM

54 posts, read 233,589 times
Unhappy Don't gooo . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The tone of this forum has gone so negative I don't think I can participate here anymore. The volume of anti-hispanic (aka anti-illegal) in addition to the general anti-California posting has created a big feedback loop with Google, and it appears to be self-sustaining.

It's unfortunate that people are getting such a one-sided view of our state, cities, and lives from a few disgruntled people.
I agree, a year ago, it almost convinced me from moving to L.A. Almost. But I won't let that happen. Some people are just negative and close-minded and want to blame others for ruining their "quality of life". Keywords: It's your life. Noone should be able to ruin the quality of your life because you are the one that is in control of it. Instead of complaining, something productive should be done to change it.
Please don't leave the forum. It was people like you who helped bring more humane people to the city. If you let the bigots and pessimists run the L.A. forum, Los Angeles might just actually become the wasteland so many try to say it is. All I can say is to just ignore the negativity, and keep doing what makes you happy.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
There were not ethnic Mexican tribes living in California. There were North American Indians here, but not Meso-Americans.

California is more the territory of Spain than of Mexico.
I was talking with some friends of mine from Gibraltar and they were making jokes about then Spanish PM Aznar not being satisfied with claiming Gib and wanting to claim California next ):

Mesoamerican civilization only had a few remote trade outposts in Northern Mexico, although I believe there was some trade between the Mesoamerican civilization and tribes in what is now Arizona. While nobody knows for sure where the semi-historical "Aztlan" was, and there are a number of competing claims, I've never heard California mentioned as a possible site - the most plausible suggest that it was somewhere around Sonora/Arizona, although I've also heard New Mexico and Utah mentioned.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM

473 posts, read 2,753,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable1 View Post
I agree, a year ago, it almost convinced me from moving to L.A. Almost. But I won't let that happen. Some people are just negative and close-minded and want to blame others for ruining their "quality of life". Keywords: It's your life. Noone should be able to ruin the quality of your life because you are the one that is in control of it. Instead of complaining, something productive should be done to change it.
Please don't leave the forum. It was people like you who helped bring more humane people to the city. If you let the bigots and pessimists run the L.A. forum, Los Angeles might just actually become the wasteland so many try to say it is. All I can say is to just ignore the negativity, and keep doing what makes you happy.

i hope you are still here on these forums 2 years from now. And i truly do hope you don't lose your 19 year old optimism in those 2 years.

as far as who was here first...it doesn't really matter now does it? Nobody claimed the land and drew lines on it, and civilized it until the europeans came. So in that scenario who owns the land becomes an issue of who has more people w/ guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles