U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 9,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I think there is a lot of beauty in Malibu, but it is really isolated. It's also insanely expensive if you want to be close to the beach and have a nice view of the Pacific. Malibu initially caught my interest when I was planning my move to Los Angeles but when I realized how far away it is from the city and how inconvenient it is to get in and out of Malibu I nixed that idea.
You're right. Malibu does have gorgeous areas but they're way remote and no one goes there. Very impracticable place to live.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,271,662 times
My 5 favorite Stretches of coast in SoCal are...

1. Laguna Beach Beach to San Clemente
2. Marina Del Rey to Malibu
3. Newport Beach to Long Beach
4. San Pedro to Manhattan Beach
5. La Jolla to Point Loma

Old 02-23-2015, 08:24 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,333,427 times
Nothing is better than skiing and bow hunting. How are the skiing and bow hunting in Malibu?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM

4,921 posts, read 5,943,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
My 5 favorite Stretches of coast in SoCal are...

1. Laguna Beach Beach to San Clemente
2. Marina Del Rey to Malibu
3. Newport Beach to Long Beach
4. San Pedro to Manhattan Beach
5. La Jolla to Point Loma
LA Jolla is bad ass, probably the nicest US town for scenery I ever been to I kid you not, which is why everyone seemed so happy in La Jolla.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,271,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
LA Jolla is bad ass, probably the nicest US town for scenery I ever been to I kid you not, which is why everyone seemed so happy in La Jolla.
IMO the nicest town for scenery is Laguna Beach.

way more so than La Jolla...

other towns that are better IMO for similar style of scenery than La Jolla include:

San Clemente
Newport Beach
Palos Verdes
Pacific Palisades

Old 02-24-2015, 11:04 PM

5,525 posts, read 7,693,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
IMO the nicest town for scenery is Laguna Beach.

way more so than La Jolla...

other towns that are better IMO for similar style of scenery than La Jolla include:

San Clemente
Newport Beach
Palos Verdes
Pacific Palisades
That drive around Palos Verdes Peninsula is just breathtaking. It's off the beaten path and I just stumbled upon it when I first was relocating out there. I had been at a carpet place in Torrance and was so excited about moving out there, I decided to come back via PCH. But PCH veered inland so I just took a shot and ended up on Palos Verdes Drive. Breathtaking views! It was a must-see every time I had visitors from the East Coast. Just in general, I love the drive along PCH from Long Beach down to San Clemente. There's a curve on PCH just south of Newport Coast where the vista just blows me away every time.

Back to Malibu -- the only thing I saw of it was coming down PCH, which wasn't all that exciting. I guess I would have seen more up in the hills and canyons, huh?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:46 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,149,004 times
Malibu reminds me of many things:

My father. He lived there...and later died at his home in Decker Canyon. He had his ashes spread in the shore waters off one of the bluffs in Paradise Cove...his other Malibu residence.

Getting married. I got married on that bluff in Paradise Cove overlooking the very place my father had his ashes spread....18 years later. As a child, we spent our summers on that beach whenever we were at our dad's.

Finally...hearing Malibu discussed at length reminds me of food....The Sand Castle restaurant of old, and of the time period coinciding with the Rockford Files era. The Malibu Mutt down by Pepperdine University, to this day they still make the best Falafels I've ever had! Also...Neptune's Net, although technically that place is in Oxnard, lol

Now to live in Malibu you basically have to be Bill Gates LOL

Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,576,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
That drive around Palos Verdes Peninsula is just breathtaking. It's off the beaten path and I just stumbled upon it when I first was relocating out there. I had been at a carpet place in Torrance and was so excited about moving out there, I decided to come back via PCH. But PCH veered inland so I just took a shot and ended up on Palos Verdes Drive. Breathtaking views! It was a must-see every time I had visitors from the East Coast. Just in general, I love the drive along PCH from Long Beach down to San Clemente. There's a curve on PCH just south of Newport Coast where the vista just blows me away every time.

Back to Malibu -- the only thing I saw of it was coming down PCH, which wasn't all that exciting. I guess I would have seen more up in the hills and canyons, huh?
That vista has always been one of my favorite driving down to Laguna Beach. It's just past Crystal Cove SP just before you go up the hill into Emerald Bay.

Going down that hill with wilderness to your left and a beautiful cliff to the right dropping down into the Pacific is gorgeous. I found it on Google Maps but didn't post it because it simply does not do it justice.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,522,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
Definetely buy. It's also more like a long range goal (about 10 years or so).
Just wondering, since you posted the OP in 2006, did you ever move to Malibu?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,522,905 times
I love Malibu. Would love to have the bank account to be able to live there. For now all we get to do is drive thru the area and visit a few friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles