U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 PM

20 posts, read 159,427 times

Advertisements

i've done a fair bit of research on some cities in california and i found malibu to be perfect from many points of view...great weather, amazing location, ocean at one end, canyons at the other, slightly isolated from LA....i was just wondering if you guys know of a better city than this.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 PM

6,587 posts, read 16,833,698 times
Malibu is beautiful, but PCH can get very congested in the summer with all of the Valley people going to Zuma Beach right next door. All in all, it's a great city, and I'd love to have a home there if I were a zillionaire!

Please don't live in a canyon or right on the beach; fires roar through there periodically and obliterate the canyon houses, and then when the rain starts there are mudslides that flow through the beach houses into the ocean. There are more stable parts of Malibu, although you may not be right on the beach, or have the canyon experience you may want.

I don't know what kind of people live in Malibu besides the celebrity types, if you're into any of that. Maybe someone else can help with that part!

Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 PM

oh ya definetely was thinking of "middle" Malibu..and having the canyons and the beaches by your sides would be great i guess

Old 12-16-2006, 04:24 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,382,618 times
I think Laguna Beach is just as beautiful and just as congested....really Laguna Beach has a very charming downtown area that borders on a gorgeous beach, the canyons are beautiful....and the real estate just as expensive.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:28 PM

989 posts, read 5,726,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think Laguna Beach is just as beautiful and just as congested....really Laguna Beach has a very charming downtown area that borders on a gorgeous beach, the canyons are beautiful....and the real estate just as expensive.
I think what sets Malibu apart from Laguna is: rural ambience. For example take the average lot size: Laguna -.23 of an acre, Mailbu-many acres. Some Malibu lots are even hundreds of acres! The main attraction in Malibu is unquestionably it's beaches. There is less commercial activity in Malibu than Laguna. Malibu, like Laguna, has a lot of open space. The surrounding environment (Malibu vs Laguna) is completely different. You can leave rural Malibu and enter the second biggest city in the US. Leaving Laguna Beach brings you to other similar settings such as Newport, or Irvine.

Malibu
http://p.vtourist.com/44313-Travel_Picture-Malibu.jpg (broken link)
Laguna
http://www.point-travel.com/laguna-beach/images/index.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 12-17-2006 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
The fact that you can leave rural Malibu and enter the second biggest city in the US versus Laguna Beach where leaving brings you to other similar settings such as Newport, or Irvine.
exactly...that's why im quite psyched at the moment about malibu...say you wake up in the morning and you wanna do something, you've got 3 amazing choices: you've got mountains, ocean and huge city...and all 3 very close by. I just didn't find any other city that can offer this nice combo (besides the nice weather

Old 12-18-2006, 01:46 AM

652 posts, read 2,719,787 times
Malibu is filled with extremely racist rich people. It needs more Latinos to "diversify" the area.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:18 AM

3 posts, read 23,535 times
good luck with the traffic. it is truly soul-crushing. you can do only one or two things in a day in LA because of the traffic. there is little spontenaity possible.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:01 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,414,244 times
newportsmostwanted, is that canyon photo a self-portrait? If so, you look like a high fashion model! Yowza.

Could someone familiar with the current Malibu beach access codes please explain them for our out-of-towners on this forum? Most Malibu beaches are behind privately owned properties of very territorial ultra-wealthy people. I haven't visited anyone there in a couple of decades, but the rules then were: renters and non-beachfront homeowners received keys to private access gates to the beaches.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 AM

1,287 posts, read 4,872,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
i've done a fair bit of research on some cities in california and i found malibu to be perfect from many points of view...great weather, amazing location, ocean at one end, canyons at the other, slightly isolated from LA....i was just wondering if you guys know of a better city than this.
Malibu is wonderful. I lived there myself for two years when I was in my early 20s. Are you planning to rent or buy a home there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles