Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 27,270 times

Advertisements

are landlords of houses required to change locks between tenants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:33 AM

3 posts, read 30,664 times
I do know for a fact that in apartments its a law I don't see why a house would be any different. I hope this helps you

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 AM

320 posts, read 1,733,636 times
Ironically when you buy a house they do not change the locks.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:40 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,651,275 times
I don't think the law requires a landlord to change the locks after the last tenant. They are required to provide a dead bolt lock on the door and ensure the windows lock. If a tenant is given permission to rekey the locks upon moving in, the tenant will need to provide a key to the landlord.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
I don't think they are officially required, however they are required by law to provide a secure environment for the tenants.

If he/she has advised you that they do not change locks, this cost should be negociated before signing a lease/contract. The cost to have a lock re-keyed or replaced is not that expensive.

If you find this is a deal breaker, you should re-think the lease entirely with this property owner, since this is a good indication of how cheap he is.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

79 posts, read 286,089 times
If I purchase a home, the very least insurance I can get myself is to get my own set of locks where I know no one has the key.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

54 posts, read 312,564 times
The over paranoid New Yorker in me says change the locks on an apartment you're renting or any place you just move into. Don't wait for the landlord.

What I'm confused on is whether it is absolutely mandatory to give a spare key to the manager of a building I'm renting the apartment in. Here in NY, everyone changes/adds their own locks upon move in and no one gives out spare keys. I'd be concerned knowing the keys to my front door are floating about anywhere, with the manager or otherwise.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:42 PM

26 posts, read 268,487 times
As a locksmith, I can inform you that:
Landlords are not required to change locks between tenants.
However, you must ascertain if the locks have been changed, and when.
Your security depends on YOU.
There is no requirement for landlords to provide deadbolt locks. If there is one key-in-knob lock, then that meets the requirement for a secure premise.
You may install and/or replace locks, but check with the contract or rental agreement regarding alterations to the unit and to keys.
Regardless what cece and danielle state, it is your responsibility to find out what your rights are in each state....each state has different laws and it does take some effort to find out this information: that may be why lots of people don't bother to do the research.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:19 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,118,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysie_Marnix View Post
If I purchase a home, the very least insurance I can get myself is to get my own set of locks where I know no one has the key.
By law, you have to provide the landlord with a copy of the key to ALL locks. If you don't they can evict you. It's not your property, they are only allowing you to use it.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:03 AM

26 posts, read 268,487 times
I'm sorry, but there is no LAW requiring a tenant to hand over any key to the landlord.
I notice that lots of folks refer to "the law", but they don't give a reference, and they are not a lawyer.
As I mentioned earlier, check out your lease agreement regarding alterations and locks. In most states, tenants have more rights than landlords. Been there, done that. Check out your state's Attorney General's office: they may have information for you for free, such as pamplets addressing their particular state. Tenant's bill of Rights, etc.
I do recommend rekeying the locks when you move into a new unit, or when something happens that compromises your security ( too many people have a key, for instance). No need to quote any law for that........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: