Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 10:38 PM

50 posts, read 48,565 times

Advertisements

I have lot of DVD's which I like to sell. I watched each film only once or twice, so the DVD's look like brand new. Which is the best place to sell these DVD's in Los Angeles? I don't want to use Craiglist.

Also what is the reasonable price to ask? $1/DVD or even less?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 02:35 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,945,860 times
Try Book-Off: https://www.bookoffusa.com/

Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Physical media, particularly used DVD's, VHS, and Bon Jovi cassette tapes from 1987 are, for all intents and purposes, worthless as far as resale value. It will take you longer to list, pack, ship, etc than they are worth.

If you want to wash your hands of them, throw them into a box, take to the nearest thrift shop, dump it off, and call it a day.

The only exceptions to this would be vinyl LP's. But here-title and condition is everything. LP's range in value from a penny or two anywhere up to several hundred dollars.

And then then vintage blank cassette tapes. Maxell, TDK, etc. Depending on model and age, can also be worth a pretty penny.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:13 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
And then then vintage blank cassette tapes. Maxell, TDK, etc. Depending on model and age, can also be worth a pretty penny.
Seriously?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:37 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Seriously?
Oh absolutely. But only certain ones. And as long as they are still sealed in original factory packaging. To most laypeople, a cassette tape was a cassette tape and the majority of people just bought the cheapest ones. Those usually have little or no residual value today.

But you move up into the music and audiophile, high end/grade 'flavors' from the likes of Maxell, TDK, Sony, Denon, etc, , it's a totally different story. These were the ones typically sold only in music and HiFi/Stereo stores. And the resale value of some of them today would blow your mind.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Oh absolutely. But only certain ones. And as long as they are still sealed in original factory packaging. To most laypeople, a cassette tape was a cassette tape and the majority of people just bought the cheapest ones. Those usually have little or no residual value today.

But you move up into the music and audiophile, high end/grade 'flavors' from the likes of Maxell, TDK, Sony, Denon, etc, , it's a totally different story. These were the ones typically sold only in music and HiFi/Stereo stores. And the resale value of some of them today would blow your mind.
Yeah, some people are still using cassette players and also--high-end cassette recorders. The discs of today don't age well; cassette tapes do better, if it's quality tape, like the man says. . Disc recording equipment is pretty worthless, unless it's high-end industry-quality equipment.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:45 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
If you have the time and/or patience you can slowly sell them on eBay for $5+ if they’re not readily available on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc, for free. I’ve bought a handful for various reasons (mostly because buying it was only $1-2 more than renting it) the last couple of years and thought about doing the same, but haven’t felt motivated enough for the small return on my time to do it. In the meantime they’re sitting in tubs in the basement of my cabin for when we’re up there and the internet goes out. It has yet to go out long enough to go down and get one. I have thought about just throwing out all the cases and putting them in a huge CD binder like I did with my CD’s. That CD binder hasn’t been opened in years and is with the DVDs right now, lol.

I did talk to the guys (and gals) that sell DVDs at the swap meet here in San Diego for mostly $1-2 each, some for much more, and most said they’d only buy them in bulk for .10c each. They had no interst to pick through them for anymore and most had no desire in them at all. I’d just assume donate them to the Salvation Army at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles