U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM

12 posts, read 4,402 times

Advertisements

I am moving from a busy Atlanta. I am in my late 40s and spouse retired. I am very curious about how hard it is to live in California. I am a Registered Nurse and hoping to move there this summer. I see lovely neighborhoods outside LA to live that are 35-55 miles away from the hospital I am looking to work. It looks like they are buliding the neighborhoods outide and apparently people are excepting to live a long distance. I will be working a morning shift.
Is this a difficult mile zone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,257,296 times
Where do you want to work? It would help if you give that information so we can help you figure out where to live.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,921,833 times
Not only do you need to specific which hospital you're looking at, but also the neighborhoods you like. Your budget for renting or buying and for how big and what type of place would help.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:06 PM

3,874 posts, read 2,748,814 times
I would definitely not move more than 25 miles away from anywhere I'll be working. As an RN you can get a job anywhere in any town just about. I would look closer to where you want to stay. Also RNs make more in California by far than any other state so that should be a huge pay raise.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 3,431,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCon99z View Post
I am moving from a busy Atlanta. I am in my late 40s and spouse retired. I am very curious about how hard it is to live in California. I am a Registered Nurse and hoping to move there this summer. I see lovely neighborhoods outside LA to live that are 35-55 miles away from the hospital I am looking to work. It looks like they are buliding the neighborhoods outide and apparently people are excepting to live a long distance. I will be working a morning shift.
Is this a difficult mile zone....
35-55 miles could be 2-3 hours each way. Need more context

Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 PM

50 posts, read 23,833 times
Hi JoCon!

I just replied to your other post.

But to answer your first question - it can be either very hard/almost impossibly hard or pretty easy.

You will want to live close to where you work if at all possible. 2-3 hours commute for 35-55 miles is not an exaggeration - depending on traveling to/from, day of the week/time of day which can be a con. It's taken me a full hr to travel 5 miles in West LA.

Agree with the posts above including as a (reliable and experienced) nurse you will likely receive higher pay here and likely have easier time finding a job - pros

Maybe you can provide a little more info as mentioned above.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:28 AM

Thanks, for your input. I have looked at USC job site but haven't applied and, I prefer UCLA medical center. It doesn't really list which hospital site except Los Angeles. I am hoping to get employment at Ronald Reagan UCLA in Westwood. Also, I there are several nursing positions at Kaiser Permanente in West Los Angeles. Is this hospital a new site. My preference for resident location is Los Angeles but the prices are so much higher. Can I even afford a price for a 2 bedroom. In Atlanta, the two bedrooms were 1400-1500 for a brand new 1170 square foot.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 AM

"...UCLA in Westwood...West Los Angeles...My preference for resident location is Los Angeles...Can I even afford a price for a 2 bedroom."

No, unless you can afford more than double the rent you paid in Atlanta. Current median rent in Westwood (UCLA) is $3,248.

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...a/los-angeles/

Suggest you rethink your "preference" hospitals if you want to move to SoCal.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:27 PM

Which Hospitals are rated as the best medical care. i see there are several. USC, UCLA and Kaiser Permanente.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCon99z View Post
Which Hospitals are rated as the best medical care. i see there are several. USC, UCLA and Kaiser Permanente.
You still have to live somewhere to work at any of them, unless you can do a 1.5-2 hour (not joking!) one-way commute and love sitting in traffic.

UCLA and Cedars-Sinai are well-regarded, but located in the most expensive areas of the LA Metro. USC is surrounded by a high-crime neighborhood. There are many Kaiser hospitals, some are good, some not so good; some in pricey areas, some in sketchy areas.

Even so, you are not getting a 2-bedroom apartment for less than $2800 in an area anywhere near any of them. In your budget: a 500-foot studio, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or