Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times

Advertisements

https://www.smdp.com/serious-crime-i...percent/172447

Santa Monica experienced 8.8 percent more serious crime in 2018, including thefts, burglaries and aggravated assaults. The same category of crime rose by 12 percent in 2017 and 5.5 percent in 2016.

Serious crimes have risen 29 percent in Santa Monica between 2015 and 2018 and law enforcement has maintained that legislation that has decriminalized certain offenses has allowed repeat criminals to return to the streets shortly after being sentenced. The Santa Monica Police Department told the Daily Press last year that it arrests the same people frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Metro system introduced more enrichment.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:44 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Metro system introduced more enrichment.
All aboard the crime train !

https://www.smdp.com/has-the-expo-tu...e-train/163250

Old 02-02-2019, 11:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
How long before we have the posters talking about how high crime was in Santa Monica back in the 80s and 90s

Old 02-02-2019, 12:54 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How long before we have the posters talking about how high crime was in Santa Monica back in the 80s and 90s
I think you are referring to yours truly. You posted this in another thread about ONE single crime incident in the City of Los Angeles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is sick !

What is going on in this city ? Total lack of civility

The incident occurred on Jan. 26 along the 600 block of Spring Street.

Mike Watson, who shared the video on Facebook, wrote that the man was "causing a scene" about the price of hot dogs being sold outside a bar in the area.

https://ktla.com/2019/01/29/man-caug...igate-assault/

Crime actually DECREASED in the City of Los Angeles in 2018. Homicides were at their second lowest in more than 50 years. So my comment in that thread was exactly right.

https://www.policeone.com/crime/arti...crime-in-2018/

I am a "reality based" poster interested in data, facts and rational argument. The OP of this thread has posted actual data which outlines a real (negative) trend for the City of Santa Monica.

Santa Monica and its police department will need to think about new strategies and/or methods to reverse the trend.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:23 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I think you are referring to yours truly. You posted this in another thread about ONE single crime incident in the City of Los Angeles:

Crime actually DECREASED in the City of Los Angeles in 2018. Homicides were at their second lowest in more than 50 years. So my comment in that thread was exactly right.

https://www.policeone.com/crime/arti...crime-in-2018/

I am a "reality based" poster interested in data, facts and rational argument. The OP of this thread has posted actual data which outlines a real (negative) trend for the City of Santa Monica.

Santa Monica and its police department will need to think about new strategies and/or methods to reverse the trend.
We're talking about SM, not L.A., so I don't know why you're bringing L.A. into this. BTW, did it occur to you that the LAPD is not being genuine in its crime stats? There was a story about it not long ago.

Additionally, you're faulting the SMPD for the increase in crime? So hows that work -- the SMPD should engage in stop & frisk and such? Yeah, I'm sure the local ACLU will be fine and dandy with that. And then there's the logical fallacy of blaming the SMPD in the first place, but I think you're aware of that...

Old 02-02-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
We're talking about SM, not L.A., so I don't know why you're bringing L.A. into this. BTW, did it occur to you that the LAPD is not being genuine in its crime stats? There was a story about it not long ago.

Additionally, you're faulting the SMPD for the increase in crime? So hows that work -- the SMPD should engage in stop & frisk and such? Yeah, I'm sure the local ACLU will be fine and dandy with that. And then there's the logical fallacy of blaming the SMPD in the first place, but I think you're aware of that...

You have reading comprehension problems...is Uni High to blame?

Old 02-02-2019, 01:57 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
... you're faulting the SMPD for the increase in crime? So hows that work -- the SMPD should engage in stop & frisk and such? Yeah, I'm sure the local ACLU will be fine and dandy with that. And then there's the logical fallacy of blaming the SMPD in the first place, but I think you're aware of that...
Slow down and re-read the post. How do you come up with these conclusions?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Slow down and re-read the post. How do you come up with these conclusions?
Astral Weeks stated that crime is allegedly down in L.A., then stated, "Santa Monica and its police department will need to think about new strategies and/or methods to reverse the trend." The implication is that if crime increases, the onus is on LEO's to mitigate it, and I do not agree with that premise.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Astral Weeks stated that crime is allegedly down in L.A., then stated, "Santa Monica and its police department will need to think about new strategies and/or methods to reverse the trend." The implication is that if crime increases, the onus is on LEO's to mitigate it, and I do not agree with that premise.
Not allegedly down in LA, actually down in 2018. Very hard to misrepresent homicides stats which decreased for the second year in a row and remain at generational lows. LA's crime rate was only brought into to this thread in reference to another poster's comment....which you missed which is fine.

Quote:

You bumped right into that strawman. I never blamed SMPD for the recent spike in crime. I merely recognized the recent rising trend for what it is.

By the same token, I don't blame the LA Fire Department for starting fires around the city either! But defending the public against fires is their job and it is very reasonable to expect them to adapt to new challenges/circumstances.

Ditto for the SMPD. I'll be the first to state that broader societal trends are beyond law enforcement's control and the public should have reasonable expectations about what can and can't be achieved. But what is done on the margins can help make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles