Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There are plenty of millenials in our kids' age groups who are making 40K per year (as well as many who make double and triple that). Those at 40K don't qualify for any services. But they double up, rent, delay marriage and/or kids, and are perfectly happy here.

Most of them were born and educated in California and have no intention of leaving.
I'm glad that they are staying. I don't mean that in a bad way. I want as many people to stay in CA and not infect the surrounding states. As I plan on leaving in the next couple of years I don't wanna add to all of the Ca haters as people leave here and flock out of state.

I've heard that people from CA should change their license plates on their cars in their new state as fast as they can. I don't know if there is any merit to that or not, just what I've heard anecdotally the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 03:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm glad that they are staying. I don't mean that in a bad way. I want as many people to stay in CA and not infect the surrounding states. As I plan on leaving in the next couple of years I don't wanna add to all of the Ca haters as people leave here and flock out of state.

I've heard that people from CA should change their license plates on their cars in their new state as fast as they can. I don't know if there is any merit to that or not, just what I've heard anecdotally the last few years.
Yes, in fact when our relatives moved here from the Bay Area last summer they had WA plates before the moving van even showed up. Now that they have been here a while and met neighbors they found that many others are from CA.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, in fact when our relatives moved here from the Bay Area last summer they had WA plates before the moving van even showed up. Now that they have been here a while and met neighbors they found that many others are from CA.
Yep... very much my experience around Olympia WA... so many with California roots/family.

My closest neighbors left California in 1960's... they experienced the Watts riot and pulled up stakes and moved to WA... he had spent some time in WA in the Service.

I am always running into people from California... I was at DNR and the person helping me spent Christmas with family still in Los Angeles...

Lots of California people if you look...

Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There are plenty of millenials in our kids' age groups who are making 40K per year (as well as many who make double and triple that). Those at 40K don't qualify for any services. But they double up, rent, delay marriage and/or kids, and are perfectly happy here.

Most of them were born and educated in California and have no intention of leaving.
I manage a 4 bedroom 2 bath single family home in Oakland... the tenants are all in their 20's and not a one is from California... East Coast with one from Oregon...

The couple shares the master bedroom and each of the others have their own room.. housing expense is $500 per person... rent, utilities, cable, etc...

One is wait staff at a SF Restaurant and makes good money working 4 days a week and spends her free time exploring the area... the others have various jobs from auto dealer parts counter, personal trainer, etc... it is going on 4 years and no one plans to leave.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:52 AM

40 posts, read 28,946 times
Here in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Cave Creek/Chandler there are TONS of CA and TX plates driving around and parked in driveways. Honestly, there seems to be more Californians and Texans than native Arizonans. No kidding.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 AM

427 posts, read 367,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I manage a 4 bedroom 2 bath single family home in Oakland... the tenants are all in their 20's and not a one is from California... East Coast with one from Oregon...

The couple shares the master bedroom and each of the others have their own room.. housing expense is $500 per person... rent, utilities, cable, etc...

One is wait staff at a SF Restaurant and makes good money working 4 days a week and spends her free time exploring the area... the others have various jobs from auto dealer parts counter, personal trainer, etc... it is going on 4 years and no one plans to leave.
No one plans to leave until they wake up one day, fed up with everything

Old 03-01-2019, 09:11 AM

I believe it...

I work for a Bay Area Hospital and I know 1 to 2 newly retired moving to AZ each month going back a few years now.

AZ is HOT right now and every time someone brings in pictures of the new home they just bought it spurs interest plus friends going to visit...

Doesn't hurt that Bay Area teams go to AZ for Spring Training... seems to be a big plus for some.

One of my nurse friends spent 2 years looking for her Mayberry... her words... multiple trips to destinations such as Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Florida and Texas... AZ won.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-01-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Not my experience... quite a few I know plan their exits carefully... many already have friends and family in AZ and know this is where they will retire.

Simple economics for some... walk away with 500k tax free equity and buy a nicer home for cash and have money left over...

What I am seeing is a lot of older California homeowners cashing out of the SF Bay Area and a lot of 20 somethings moving in renting rooms because of the strong desire to be here...

One of my tenants is 27... the last 3 years her family in Colorado sends her a one way plane ticket home for Christmas... everyone gets a good laugh... she visits and can't wait to get back to SF...

It may seem odd but AZ doesn't seem to be on the same page politically with many of the young people I know... one of the draws is Bay Area is LGBT friendly, 420 friendly, Socially Active, etc...

Old 03-01-2019, 09:30 AM

40 posts, read 28,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
You’re spot on. The thing is, we got fed up with CA but after moving to AZ in search of a simpler, more economical standard of living, we learned that while AZ is for sure a more simple and more economical life, We also find living in AZ feels like putting in time, quite frankly it feels like we are wasting time.

Once the thrill of the simplicity and cheaper costs of most things wore off, we re-evaluated and agreed that you get what you pay for. We’re willing to pay More to have access to the many opportunities not found here in AZ, but are a fact of CA living.

We’re not the only ones who are fed up with the heat and boredom that are a fact of AZ living. We’ve spoken to many others who feel similarly.

Anybody considering a move to AZ - more power to you, but if you’ve read this and other similar warnings, don’t say you weren’t warned when you wake up one day in your cheaper home and question the fulfillment, or lack thereof, of your simpler, cheaper life. You’ll have lots of time to ponder this as there’s not too much more to do out here.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 AM

More than a few developed into alcoholics... boredom... time at home, lack of interest and the social drinking that started earlier and earlier...

Not just AZ transplants but happened to my Florida friends... both became heavy drinkers and realized it in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles