Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 09:11 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,452,226 times

Advertisements

It is a term I hear often in Oregon... Californication.

Also have heard it in Washington and Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 09:13 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,417,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Albuquerque's got all of the crime and dysfunction of Las Vegas without any entertainment factor to redeem it.

Basically, it's a huge Victorville on steroids.

Albuquerque is a lot like the Inland Empire. Another good comparison for Albuquerque is Tucson, AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InqurngMind View Post
Here in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Cave Creek/Chandler there are TONS of CA and TX plates driving around and parked in driveways. Honestly, there seems to be more Californians and Texans than native Arizonans. No kidding.

There are tons of people moving to Texas. Why would Texans move to Metro Phoenix? That's not an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Everyone I know who moved to Phoenix from California did so because they had to, not because they wanted to.

If they could, they'd all be back here in a heartbeat.

I can't speak for the Midwesterners who move to Phoenix, though. I'm sure they love the warmer climate and proximity to California.

Quality of life is better in Los Angeles than Phoenix, if costs were similar. Since costs are not similar, this is how Phoenix attracts people.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 AM

427 posts, read 364,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
The problem with people leaving liberal states are that they bring the same stupid ideas with them. Florida will be blue soon
Why do liberals move to conservative states and infect them? Makes no sense. Dont like guns? Live in L.A., that is perfect. Do you like having a gun on your waist? Live in Phoenix, dont mix the two. Although honestly with the size and density of L.A., open carry should be legal!

Old 03-09-2019, 11:07 AM

1,336 posts, read 916,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
People of all political ideologies leave states for lower cost areas.
The left cannot leave California for states with lower taxes.
You voted it in, you are stuck with it. Forever shall ye be imprisoned here.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:29 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,518,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
The left cannot leave California for states with lower taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Why do liberals move to conservative states and infect them?
You guys are either extremely dense or dangerously naive?

It's not "liberals" and "the left" that are moving out of California, or moving to other states and "infecting" them.

Most of the out-of-state migration to places like Idaho, Arizona and Texas are by conservatives and Republicans.

Go, and re-read that once again, if you must.

What happens is that when people migrate to a state, no matter their political leanings, they increase the population.

With increased population comes the need for more housing, better roads, better health care, more schools, etc.

Of the two major parties, which one has members that have advocated all of those things? Be honest !

You can be as conservative as Rush Limbaugh in California, and rail on and on about "liberalism", and then when you finally relocate to your vaunted "Red State" and realize how terrible things are, you'll begin to scratch your head and you'll start listening to which party wants to make health care better, which party wants to invest in roads and infrastructure, which party wants more schools built, and you'll never admit it to another soul, but you go into the voting both and pull the lever for that party.

That, my dears, is what happens!

Admit it publicly, or not, but it does.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:32 PM

427 posts, read 364,774 times
Quote:
You can be as conservative as Rush Limbaugh in California, and rail on and on about "liberalism", and then when you finally relocate to your vaunted "Red State" and realize how terrible things are, you'll begin to scratch your head and you'll start listening to which party wants to make health care better, which party wants to invest in roads and infrastructure, which party wants more schools built, and you'll never admit it to another soul, but you go into the voting both and pull the lever for that par
False. I lived in a red state over 20 years and never lacked anything, nor have I mooched off California living here. All I've done is have a higher COL and taxation rate. Never voted for a Dem in my life.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:10 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,864,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Why do liberals move to conservative states and infect them? Makes no sense. Dont like guns? Live in L.A., that is perfect. Do you like having a gun on your waist? Live in Phoenix, dont mix the two. Although honestly with the size and density of L.A., open carry should be legal!
It amazes me how some folks are so small minded that their political views should exclusively dictate where one moves. Life is much more than being liberal or conservative, and the reality is people will move where ever TF they want!! Regardless of their political views who says someone left their last place because of the politics people move for many different reasons.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:16 PM

603 posts, read 435,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
It amazes me how some folks are so small minded that their political views should exclusively dictate where one moves. Life is much more than being liberal or conservative, and the reality is people will move where ever TF they want!! Regardless of their political views who says someone left their last place because of the politics people move for many different reasons.
It depends.... I cannot live in a state that has income tax since the SALT deductions got dumped because it makes no financial sense to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional taxes and I will never live in a state that trampled on my 2nd amendment rights as a moral issue. Both issues are deal breakers for me. I can live in any state of the union I choose am not reliant on employment or family to stay in one place. I choose Florida and if it wasn’t Florida it would be Texas or Wyoming. There are no other states I would consider and a lot of that is political. When I withdrew my business operations from California a couple of years ago it was a pure business decision that I made ( and yes it cost a lot of Californians their jobs except the ones who relocated to our other operations ) But I made that because of taxes, high wages and excessive regulations which are very much political issues.
I visit NY, California, MA .... frequently.... enjoy my time there (although I feel unsafe compared to other states with CC reciprocity) and pay no state taxes.
The high tax liberal states are about to suffer terribly from the SALT changes and deservedly so ...

Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 PM

Some have move to Alaska... two I know have done so and it sounds like it checks all the boxes you are looking for.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
It depends.... I cannot live in a state that has income tax since the SALT deductions got dumped because it makes no financial sense to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional taxes and I will never live in a state that trampled on my 2nd amendment rights as a moral issue. Both issues are deal breakers for me. I can live in any state of the union I choose am not reliant on employment or family to stay in one place. I choose Florida and if it wasn’t Florida it would be Texas or Wyoming. There are no other states I would consider and a lot of that is political. When I withdrew my business operations from California a couple of years ago it was a pure business decision that I made ( and yes it cost a lot of Californians their jobs except the ones who relocated to our other operations ) But I made that because of taxes, high wages and excessive regulations which are very much political issues.
I visit NY, California, MA .... frequently.... enjoy my time there (although I feel unsafe compared to other states with CC reciprocity) and pay no state taxes.
The high tax liberal states are about to suffer terribly from the SALT changes and deservedly so ...
Some have moved to Alaska as it checks all the boxes you have mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles