Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 09:24 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,275,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

Rrrrrright? ...And this is germane to this discussion how?

You come in here, bash California, and those of us who like it come to defend it.

So, instead of retorting with actual facts, you resort to insinuations bordering on sexism.

Awesome!

This is why people hate Republicans, tbh.
Sorry for reviving old stuff, but the reason why this is germane is obvious: if you had children you wouldn't be so fond of Los Angeles. In fact you would find living there to be basically impossible, unless you're quite wealthy. You can hate Republicans all you want, but your Democrat paradises only work for a select few groups of people: the rich, the childless, and folk who are just happy to have gotten out of Mexico/El Salvador/Haiti/someplace similar, and don't mind that they're cramming six people into a two bedroom house and that their local public schools are garbage. And that's not my idea of an ideal place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 09:43 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Sorry for reviving old stuff, but the reason why this is germane is obvious: if you had children you wouldn't be so fond of Los Angeles. In fact you would find living there to be basically impossible, unless you're quite wealthy. You can hate Republicans all you want, but your Democrat paradises only work for a select few groups of people: the rich, the childless, and folk who are just happy to have gotten out of Mexico/El Salvador/Haiti/someplace similar, and don't mind that they're cramming six people into a two bedroom house and that their local public schools are garbage. And that's not my idea of an ideal place.
Lou - what’s liberal / conservative got to do with it all in your mind? How do liberals make life hard in LA / California if you have kids?

Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,286,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You are absolutely correct. I would be really unhappy if I lived in Ca and was aware of what is happening to the state. I can't believe the folks that love it can't see that. Higher taxes with no tax base to support it is what's happening. Sure, Gavin and his ilk don't care because they are rich. Others should be very afraid of what is happening. And it's nt gonna improve.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lou - what’s liberal / conservative got to do with it all in your mind? How do liberals make life hard in LA / California if you have kids?
See my recent post. That's why.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:55 PM

8,265 posts, read 2,888,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
You are absolutely correct. I would be really unhappy if I lived in Ca and was aware of what is happening to the state. I can't believe the folks that love it can't see that. Higher taxes with no tax base to support it is what's happening. Sure, Gavin and his ilk don't care because they are rich. Others should be very afraid of what is happening. And it's nt gonna improve.
I'm moving out of Cali this year after 59 years, born and raised here. I can't tell you how many times when I tell people we're moving that they say they wish they could do the same but can't due to having family here, their jobs and so forth. Many more would move if they could. The state has gone to hell. The contrast over decades has been amazing. Anyone doing any significant amount of travel knows that most places outside of southern cal are better places to live and raise kids. When traveling and telling people I'm from Ca. a popular response is "sorry". I just chuckle.

Of course this is only more "bashing". Here come the defenders!

Old 03-28-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I'm moving out of Cali this year after 59 years, born and raised here. I can't tell you how many times when I tell people we're moving that they say they wish they could do the same but can't due to having family here, their jobs and so forth. Many more would move if they could. The state has gone to hell. The contrast over decades has been amazing. Anyone doing any significant amount of travel knows that most places outside of southern cal are better places to live and raise kids. When traveling and telling people I'm from Ca. a popular response is "sorry". I just chuckle.

Of course this is only more "bashing". Here come the defenders!
Congratulations! You are ahead of a lot of them. Might as well not be holding the bag.

Cover your head and ears! Here they come with their Applebee taunting. LOL. Even though there's multiple times more Applebees in the LA area than the Phoenix Metro. Joke's on them.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:07 AM

1,336 posts, read 913,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I agree! But it's not California's fault.

We are federally attached to the rest of the United States and we:

1.) Do not (in my opinion) get back as much as we should when we send taxes to Washington DC. Especially considering the size and scope of our economy.

2.) try to enact, via state government means, programs that should be enacted federally. The federal government should have a very strong social safety net with the states only providing meager supplemental safety nets. Instead, we have been forced to do the exact opposite because the Republicans have successfully used racist propaganda to convince much of the rest of the country to chop up the safety net so that no blacks or browns get anything out of it.

3.) We are doing everything we can, while being mocked and ridiculed by you right-wingers after you've intentionally dismantled everything at the federal level.

Something is nice and it works.

Republican meathead walks into the room and throws it on the floor.

Republican meathead then says "see, I told you it didn't work!"

Capitalism reigns supreme here in the US of A and you're just seeing the effects of it here in California, because the wealthy are coming in and buying real estate all over due to the state's desirability.
Oh, this is so rich. So in Cali you have your Democrat super majority. YOU OWN THIS CRAP 100%.
But no, somehow it's Obama's federal government, and then Trumps fault.
Somehow Trump's tax or immigration or healthcare policies is encouraging open drug abuse, increase in violent crime, and homelessness. Now you are not being honest with yourself.

And let's stop the SJW virtue signaling with the black and brown and racism charges. Simply vacuous.

Ok you and 2sleepy have struck out. I think Tulemutt is the only player left swinging (albeit somewhat ineffectively).

Old 03-29-2019, 12:53 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,509,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post

And let's stop the SJW virtue signaling with the black and brown and racism charges. Simply vacuous.

Ok you and 2sleepy have struck out. I think Tulemutt is the only player left swinging (albeit somewhat ineffectively).
Nobody's "struck out" as far as I'm concerned. The State of California will continue to go on without you, Finper, Leona, B****mere, Muscle and any of the rest of the Trumpette Squad.

We don't need you. You're economic and creative dead weight. Just enjoy Arizona and leave the rest of us alone. WE'LL BE FINE!

And, yeah, you need to OWN your party's racism. Yeah, it's ugly, but there it is. OWN IT !

Old 03-29-2019, 12:57 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,509,659 times
Quote:
When traveling and telling people I'm from Ca. a popular response is "sorry". I just chuckle.
I can only imagine where you "travel"...

I'm sure there are plenty of charred crosses in those places.

When I've traveled overseas to Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and I tell people I'm from California, people glow and they say things like, "If I lived in America, that's where it would be. There or New England!"

Never once heard "Arizona", "Idaho" or "Texas".

Old 03-29-2019, 06:36 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
I'm moving out of Cali this year after 59 years, born and raised here. I can't tell you how many times when I tell people we're moving that they say they wish they could do the same but can't due to having family here, their jobs and so forth. Many more would move if they could.
I'm close to your age, and I know of not one person IRL who would want to move out of southern California, and that includes neighbors, extended family, friends, coworkers, children, friends of our children....many of whom are far younger, and a few who are years older, than I.

Quote:
The state has gone to hell.
We've been hearing versions of that, off and on, for decades.

Quote:
Anyone doing any significant amount of travel knows that most places outside of southern cal are better places to live and raise kids.
That's obviously your opinion. All the kids I know who were raised in southern California, including myself, would beg to differ.

Quote:
When traveling and telling people I'm from Ca. a popular response is "sorry". I just chuckle.
I hear the opposite reaction from people when traveling. They usually say, "Lucky you." I went to college out of state, eons ago, and often heard the same thing. (Actually, back then, it was more a reaction of awe and ridiculous stereotypes, such as "Where's your surfboard?")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles