Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 01:10 PM

71 posts, read 61,105 times

Advertisements

I will be moving back to LA come June. Prefer to be west of 405 and as far north as Sherman Oaks (would like to avoid being in Sherman Oaks if possible) as far south as Manhattan Beach. Would consider Silver Lake and similar neighborhoods close by, but really prefer to be a few miles west and within 12 miles of LAX is a plus. Unfortunately rents have gone up a lot in W. LA since my departure and finding a house/condo with 1000 plus sq ft and two bedrooms allowing dogs isn't going to be easy. Since moving away, and not intending to be back to LA, I've picked up a third dog!!! A rescue border collie who I love immensely. The other two are poodle mixes and weigh between 30-37 lbs and it's important to me they are in an animal friendly environment. Searching on Zillow, most rentals say "no" to pets or include "small" dogs but some indicate large dogs ok; these would not be considered small. I haven't reactivated my west-side rentals yet but I will soon and If I remember correctly there is more inventory on that site. I think I just lucked out last time with the two houses I lived in and very open lease terms and an accepting landlord. I really can't be in an apartment, not taking my dogs down an elevator (can you imagine) one flight of stairs/ground level would be ok only if there was a nice patch of grass very close by. Most condos have dog restrictions I imagine and hence the "small dogs only" I know many people have their dogs "certified" as service animals, but I really don't think I want to go that route. Any advice on what to do or where to start? I guess I can start talking to real estate offices and brokers to find a lease. Would prefer to stay under 5.5K/ Month, but would stretch to 6K if the house and area was very dog friendly. Also, because I have zero idea anymore, is summer a good time to find a rental or does it even matter? I know that most people tend to relocate and start new jobs mostly around January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 01:17 PM

4,539 posts, read 10,657,460 times
Redondo Beach and Torrance will be easier/less expensive than the other places you mentioned.

Your budget is way high for those cities and allows much room to negotiate a bigger deposit.

Also look at Westchester, El segundo, and Playa Del Rey. More expensive than Torrance and Redondo, but much closer to LAX and there are homes that might work for you.

The biggest issue people have is affording rent. You don’t have that issue at all.

Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM

351 posts, read 343,845 times
Just live within Playa Vista

Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,714,704 times
You’re going to have a hard time finding somrone. And when you do....be prepared to put a nosebleed of a deposit.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:00 PM

[quote=Commonproject;54860830]Just live within Playa Vista[/QUOTE

Are you suggesting like the giant apartments communities near the Whole Foods?? I’ve noticed many large apartments seem to allow “large” dogs, which seems odd. I’m not sure if they could live in a densely populated apartment community and I’m not familiar with the green spaces around there for play (If there’s any)

Old 04-04-2019, 11:29 PM

351 posts, read 343,845 times
[quote=brianbar;54861222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
Just live within Playa Vista[/QUOTE

Are you suggesting like the giant apartments communities near the Whole Foods?? I’ve noticed many large apartments seem to allow “large” dogs, which seems odd. I’m not sure if they could live in a densely populated apartment community and I’m not familiar with the green spaces around there for play (If there’s any)
Yes. There are a ton of green spaces around there in Playa Vista, hence the recommendation. There are like 14 small parks within that community, which are never really crowded because there are not that many families who live there. A lot of the people who live there are tech people

Old 04-05-2019, 03:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,393,329 times
Contact your former (Los Angeles) landlord. They may have something or know someone that does. You should also consider Glendale

Old 04-05-2019, 04:03 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,095,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Redondo Beach and Torrance will be easier/less expensive than the other places you mentioned.

Your budget is way high for those cities and allows much room to negotiate a bigger deposit.

Also look at Westchester, El segundo, and Playa Del Rey. More expensive than Torrance and Redondo, but much closer to LAX and there are homes that might work for you.

The biggest issue people have is affording rent. You don’t have that issue at all.
This is good advice.

With three dogs I wouldn’t recommend an apartment. You need a house. You will find a landlord who likes dogs and will work with you. Sounds like you make a good living so that’s a big plus.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:03 AM

I've looked in Playa Vista, mostly seeing apartments, but the green space is there. When they started to develop and densify with apartments etc I never realized there was green space back there that I now notice on google maps... That area is so congested but very convenient too so definitely an option. I'm looking south now too based on recommendations, Torrence etc. I imagine a Palos Verdes commute would be at least an hour or a little longer to Culver City? Does anyone have a good comparison between Sherman Oaks and Torrence re restaurants, parks, and commute to Culver City and LAX? Both are 405 commutes, but crossing the LAX line makes me apprehensive with all the construction going on. On the other hand, I would imagine North 405 is very bad given all the commuters to North of Sherman Oaks and out to Thousand Oaks etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:32 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,094,783 times
If as you say, you can afford $72,000 a year for rent, you could just buy a small house with a nice yard in Sherman Oaks, and pay around half of that in mortgage payments. There are some 2-3 bedroom houses there now in the high $600k-$700k range that you could easily do. Then your dogs will be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles