Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 12:07 AM

13 posts, read 12,392 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Venice and Santa Monica and loved it (unfortunately it was for an interview for a job I did not get, so only 1 day there). I love the beach with the mountains in the background, specifically Santa Monica Pier.

I am a 30 year old single female who's looking for marketing/sales jobs. I'm from NYC. I want a place with things to do but I don't want to be mostly surrounded by families or college kids. I want to be around millennials with careers. I definitely want to see nature, like mountains in the background. (I get some of the towns are geographically farther from the beach, but day to day I would love to see mountains!)

I am looking up job opportunities in various areas so I was wondering if any of these towns are great or terrible ideas:

-Pasadena
-Culver City
-Westlake Village
-Woodland Hills
-Encino
-El Segundo

Santa Barbara is beautiful, I visited there once, but didn't think there was much to do. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 12:25 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
A lot is going to depend on your budget...

Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,390,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmj9891 View Post
I recently visited Venice and Santa Monica and loved it (unfortunately it was for an interview for a job I did not get, so only 1 day there). I love the beach with the mountains in the background, specifically Santa Monica Pier.

I am a 30 year old single female who's looking for marketing/sales jobs. I'm from NYC. I want a place with things to do but I don't want to be mostly surrounded by families or college kids. I want to be around millennials with careers. I definitely want to see nature, like mountains in the background. (I get some of the towns are geographically farther from the beach, but day to day I would love to see mountains!)

I am looking up job opportunities in various areas so I was wondering if any of these towns are great or terrible ideas:

-Pasadena
-Culver City
-Westlake Village
-Woodland Hills
-Encino
-El Segundo
A housing budget would be very helpful.

That said, of the criteria you mentioned I'd say the following:

-Pasadena: Yes
-Culver City: Yes
-Westlake Village: No, very suburban, family oriented, etc.. Don't even think about it.
-Woodland Hills: No, generally suburban, family oriented, though not as much as Westlake Village
-Encino: Same as Woodland Hills
-El Segundo: Relatively quiet westside city but definitely surrounded by other areas with lots of millennials with professional careers.

Places and or cities I'd add to your list for having concentrations of young people with careers and a large concentration of amenities/things to do:

-West Hollywood (a separate city) and Hollywood (a neighborhood in the City of Los Angeles);
-Miracle Mile/Fairfax District (two adjacent neighborhoods in the City of Los Angeles);
-Downtown Los Angeles (part of City of LA): though perhaps too urban and removed from nature for what you are looking for;
-Playa Vista/Venice (two adjacent neighborhoods in the City of Los Angeles);
-Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach (two separate cities);
-Palms district (a neighborhood in the City of Los Angeles);

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmj9891 View Post

Santa Barbara is beautiful, I visited there once, but didn't think there was much to do. Is that true?
S.B. is beautiful but has a high concentration of college students and older rich people. Also, it has a small population with very limited professional job opportunities.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,735 times
You should also check out Los Feliz. It's adjacent to Griffith Park, the Greek Theater, Hollywood Lake and close to Warner Brothers and Disney Studios.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:52 PM

240 posts, read 240,119 times
Agree with taking off Westlake Village, Woodland Hills, and Encino if you don't want suburban. But if you need the better affordability that the valley provides, alternatives would be Sherman Oaks and Studio City which can still be suburban but have a lot more nightlife. I have to be careful because of my job in the way I phrase this and discussing demographics... so hopefully you can read between the lines when I say I'm a Millenial professional over here and I feel at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles