Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingpeace View Post
I don't live in LA, however have visited a few times. One thing that I noticed is that some people there have an extremely nasty attitude. I live in Milwaukee and do not come across such hateful attitudes here as some of the LA locals have.

Today driving home from work in our dreary cold spring weather, I was thinking about LA and the nice weather there but then was reminded of the "nasty attitude" element. Do you think some people in LA cop this attitude because of the extreme cost of living? Are they just overworked and overstressed? Maybe they are jealous and mad because they are not celebrities? But then again maybe the celebrities act this way too?

I am curious to what other's think about this subject. Surely others have also come across this same problem.

You are soooooooooo right. People here do have these [mod cut: language] attitudes. Thats exactlly why I want to leave here. People would rather flip you off rather than wave. All you hear when driving is people honking at each other and yelling at each other. All the mexicans and even the asians are totally racist against white people, its like they [mod cut: language] own this place, alot of them never speak english. Then theres the white people here, there stuck up as hell.

Last edited by SandyCo; 04-10-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 03:17 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Thats exactlly why I want to leave here.
Please do!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
You are soooooooooo right. People here do have these mod cut: language attitudes. Thats exactlly why I want to leave here. People would rather flip you off rather than wave. All you hear when driving is people honking at each other and yelling at each other. All the mexicans and even the asians are totally racist against white people, its like they [mod cut: language] own this place, alot of them never speak english. Then theres the white people here, there stuck up as hell.
Point being - the people with the bad attitudes are not natives. Those people flipping the bird are imports - including the caucasians. Many are east coasters, and you can thank them for inflating the real estate market artificially in prime LA areas. (although that is going to correct itself soon)

I'm a native, and most of my friends are too. We don't use the bird, we don't need to use the f-word. We natives, when annoyed, smile, wave, and say "have a nice day" - and the recipient can either read between the lines, or be completely oblivious.

Now I'm not knocking those east coasters, don't get me wrong - I embrace their frankness and straightforwardness. But most Cali natives bristle to it and consider it vulgar. I have a history of working well with "abrasive" clients and colleagues, where many natives just can't deal with it. Traveling adds a thick skin, I guess.

Last edited by SandyCo; 04-10-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
fishing for LA bashers?
well i feel sorry for whoever has to deal with these types of problems in their life. or even has to think about them so much after the fact. poor, poor impressionable souls. but im glad i am not one of those who gets stuck on stuff like that.
and the only people giving me attitude are cops honestly. my beat up lil car matches the description of most used in crimes apparently. compounded with my tendency to wear hooded sweatshirts! makes the cops think im a thug of sorts. but i am not the one.
anyhow i will say that having grown up in LA i might just be used to how aggressive some people are. its not really nastiness its just that people might think they are too important to have to wait a lil. or they come here expecting the star treatment. i also attribute this behavior to having to deal with transplants who dont know how to drive in LA. that might be the only time i have encountered real nastiness. on the raod ways.
while i have let the occasional curse pass my lips, i try to let it all slide. its not worth the trouble. and to let someone have that much control over me is dangerous. who does that? just meditate a lil. at the end of the day they will go on their way, as will i. there is no need to give it much thought any further.
if that were the case i would get stuck on...the bitchy waitress i encountered in ATL, some racist jerks in DC, nasty pink people in NOLA. another bigoted cabbie in SD and other people i feel might have slighted me... great! thanks for making me dig deep and recall this nastiness. just great.
personally i dont think anyone in LA is nastier than others anywhere. i have suprisingly encountered the most bigoted people outside of here. but that does not make me generalize about an area of the country or a group of people. to do so would be silly. almost as silly as letting a few bad people taint how i feel about a place as beautiful as NOLA, ATL, CD, NYC, SF, etc. i cant control how people act or what they say, but i can control my response.

just let it go man.
let it go. let it go (ala keyshia cole)

Old 04-10-2008, 03:23 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Point being - the people with the bad attitudes are not natives. Those people flipping the bird are imports - including the caucasians. Many are east coasters, and you can thank them for inflating the real estate market artificially in prime LA areas. (although that is going to correct itself soon)

I'm a native, and most of my friends are too. We don't use the bird, we don't need to use the f-word. We natives, when annoyed, smile, wave, and say "have a nice day" - and the recipient can either read between the lines, or be completely oblivious.

Now I'm not knocking those east coasters, don't get me wrong - I embrace their frankness and straightforwardness. But most Cali natives bristle to it and consider it vulgar. I have a history of working well with "abrasive" clients and colleagues, where many natives just can't deal with it. Traveling adds a thick skin, I guess.
SO true! Many of these people either brought the attitude with them or acquired it because they think it makes them look more big city since they just moved here from Timbuktu. I rarely hear Californians using their horns unless they need to. Another thing traveling adds is the realization that most major cities suffer from the same issues of LA, why don't people get that lol

Old 04-10-2008, 03:29 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
I'm so glad that somebody mentioned that the transplants are theones with the nasty attitudes. It's disheartening when someone says "you can't be a native, you're too nice." That's why L.A. was so great. We are nice. The transplants (and illegals) are ruining our city.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:31 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
fishing for LA bashers?
well i feel sorry for whoever has to deal with these types of problems in their life. or even has to think about them so much after the fact. poor, poor impressionable souls. but im glad i am not one of those who gets stuck on stuff like that.
and the only people giving me attitude are cops honestly. my beat up lil car matches the description of most used in crimes apparently. compounded with my tendency to wear hooded sweatshirts! makes the cops think im a thug of sorts. but i am not the one.
anyhow i will say that having grown up in LA i might just be used to how aggressive some people are. its not really nastiness its just that people might think they are too important to have to wait a lil. or they come here expecting the star treatment. i also attribute this behavior to having to deal with transplants who dont know how to drive in LA. that might be the only time i have encountered real nastiness. on the raod ways.
while i have let the occasional curse pass my lips, i try to let it all slide. its not worth the trouble. and to let someone have that much control over me is dangerous. who does that? just meditate a lil. at the end of the day they will go on their way, as will i. there is no need to give it much thought any further.
if that were the case i would get stuck on...the bitchy waitress i encountered in ATL, some racist jerks in DC, nasty pink people in NOLA. another bigoted cabbie in SD and other people i feel might have slighted me... great! thanks for making me dig deep and recall this nastiness. just great.
personally i dont think anyone in LA is nastier than others anywhere. i have suprisingly encountered the most bigoted people outside of here. but that does not make me generalize about an area of the country or a group of people. to do so would be silly. almost as silly as letting a few bad people taint how i feel about a place as beautiful as NOLA, ATL, CD, NYC, SF, etc. i cant control how people act or what they say, but i can control my response.

just let it go man.
let it go. let it go (ala keyshia cole)

my mom was saying she had a bad encounter with an airport employee up in seatlle. she was also saying the people up there in washington state have the same attitudes as the ones down here.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
my mom was saying she had a bad encounter with an airport employee up in seatlle. she was also saying the people up there in washington state have the same attitudes as the ones down here.
It must be the clouds. Everyone's depressed.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'd rather have Tom Bradley back as a city-wide unifier - we can try to unite without destruction (like an earthquake). My biggest beef with Villar the Mecha-member, adulterer, former gang-banging tattoo-bearing, slithering slimeball, is that he has completely disrupted and divided this city.

I think the biggest problem right now is that there is a big imbalance vs. about 15 years ago and earlier. I see the city correcting itself back to as before within the next five years to ten years, or the exact opposite. In which case I may have to bail and take my money elsewhere.
I have lived in Los Angeles for 20 years and I have seen a gradual yet steady change in the quality of life here.

Renting an apartment has gone up gradually over the past 15 years, with the increase in population of low income people, higher goes the rent.

I was apartment hunting in the Venice area 6 years ago, and I was told before I was allowed to be buzzed into the complex, we only allow 2 people per unit. That says a lot right there. If the correction comes, it should start now.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
fishing for LA bashers?
On this forum, that's like trying to catch salmon during mating season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles