Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Agreed, things have gone downhill since.

LMAO. What in inane proposition.

The military is a joke. There's been no real threat to America since ww2.
American citizens have more guns than China's entire army. In fact US citizens have 46% of all guns in the world. Only Russia or China would actually dare attack America even if we got rid of our military completely.
That said, I'm fine with having a reasonable military.
F the police. F every single cop in the country. Cops DO NOT protect anything. In fact, the most murderous portion of the population are cops. Per capita a cop is far more likely to shoot you than anyone else.
Cops do nothing beneficial. They extort money from people, punish victimless crimes, and use excessive force whenever possible. They face little to no consequences for anything. F THE POLICE.

The fire department is relatively useless. They don't prevent fires. They only respond to fires already taking place. I don't see myself being in a situation where I'd need them. If my house catches on fire all my stuff will be gone whether they show up or not. I guess if my neighbor's house catches on fire they might stop the spread.
I'd much rather go to a pay to play system for that.
There's no reason my homeowners insurance can't pay for their services after they're rendered.
Or let me pay directly. I'd much rather pay for them as needed like every other thing in life.

I don't NEED a sewer. I'm forced to have a sewer. All my childhood homes had septic tanks and it worked just fine. My grandmother had a septic tank until the state came in and made her hook up to the sewer.
That cost her 20,000 dollars and she started getting billed for it. There was nothing wrong with the septic system....

Private water treatment plants exist and work.
I currently have public water and it's disgusting.
All my dishes have to be cleaned twice.
I can't drink the water it has things floating in it and smells bad.
If I don't scrub my toilet for a couple days a yellow build up appears.
I can't wash my car with it because it leaves spots everywhere.

I've lived in 3 areas with public water and 2 areas with private water and 2 places with spring water.
All 3 public water areas had disgusting water I couldn't use.
The 2 areas with private water had much better water although I still wouldn't drink it.
The 2 areas with spring water were amazing. No stains. Nothing floating in it. No chemical taste. No residue. No smell. Just nice clean water.

F the FDA too. How many harmful drugs have they approved? How many lifesaving drugs do they halt or ban? How many ecoli outbreaks have there been?
Do you even know how the fda works? I doubt it. There's something like 1 inspector for every 5,000 businesses. Something absurd like that. So even if homeboy works 24/7 he'd spend a whole 20 seconds at each place.
The fact is private companies are exceeding fda regulations on their own because, dun dun dun, offering good products means you get more business and can charge more.

Let's be real here. Those "limits" on fishing and hunting are nothing but a cash grab that increases our reliance on farmed animals which pollute far more than wild animals.

The whole emissions scam? Making cars more expensive, unreliable, and harder to repair to curb emissions while ignoring the far worse pollution caused by manufacturing batteries for electric cars, or farmed animals.
And meanwhile, the place who put the most into "clamping down on emissions" is also the most polluted in the country.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ia/3551734002/

You don't have a leg to stand on. There's absolutely nothing the government can do that the free market can't do better.
Our military is inefficient and overfunded because of corruption, but it still serves a purpose.

You hating cops does not make them useless. Millions of people have been assisted by cops and many lives have been saved by them. Still, no one is perfect.

I'm sorry, but do you know how fire works? Just because your house is burning the fire doesn't necessarily stop there. Seriously, read a science book occasionally.

Some of us would rather not live with a giant bowl of crap in our yard. Sewers, good.

Lots of fans of indoor plumbing with safe tap water. Taste is a matter of taste.

Well, the military is overfunded so the FDA has to be underfunded. See "Moron in White House". PLEASE, stop with that bull about "private companies will self monitor". Private companies will ALWAYS CUT CORNERS.

Frankly, couldn't care less about fishing and hunting. Unless, of course, it's The Most Dangerous Game!

Saying cars are more unreliable is just foolish. Stop relying on anecdotal evidence. It's drivers that are more unreliable.

Finally, there is no such thing as the "free market". The free market requires honesty and American business can't even spell the word much less define it. "Free market" in America means don't look over my shoulder so i can steal with impunity.

The funny thing is you probably rely on invisible government support way more than you realize. You live in a state with no state income tax because your local government decided to tax the gambling industry so your butt is income tax free. Maybe they should change their mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post

Frankly, couldn't care less about fishing and hunting. Unless, of course, it's The Most Dangerous Game!

Saying cars are more unreliable is just foolish. Stop relying on anecdotal evidence. It's drivers that are more unreliable.

Finally, there is no such thing as the "free market". The free market requires honesty and American business can't even spell the word much less define it. "Free market" in America means don't look over my shoulder so i can steal with impunity.

The funny thing is you probably rely on invisible government support way more than you realize. You live in a state with no state income tax because your local government decided to tax the gambling industry so your butt is income tax free. Maybe they should change their mind?

So you're saying I want to go kill people? Really?

I have a mechanic shop so I KNOW cars are worse now. All that crap the government mandates breaks and causes nothing but problems while adding no benefit to the car.

There's no such thing as the free market because statists like you want daddy to watch over you.

Seriously, what "invisible" government support am I relying on?

The rest of your post is shows you didn't actually read or comprehend anything I've written. Most likely because you can't thanks to those public schools.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
So, are you willing to go back to a time when there was child labor?

How about a lack of water regulations?

Clean air regulations?

How about an unregulated meat-packing industry where mice droppings and severed human digits were ground into the meat and sold to the public?

Before people were allowed lunch breaks and an eight hour work day?

That wouldn't be "radical" either, would it?

I know its very anecdotal, but I find that people who carry this Libertarian-Randian-I'm a Hard Ass ideology are usually some of the most pampered who have benefitted the most from the government in one way or another.

Why can't children work and earn money?

I only drink distilled water so sure why not.

I addressed clean air regulations.......

I like that you think the government doesn't allow mouse poop in food because they do they also allow insects and hair.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mouse...food_n_7572232

The 8 hour work day is one of the biggest problems we have. So many people are capped at 8 hours. If we were allowed to work as long as we want we could earn more money. F the unions and their push for 8 hour days.
I work for myself. I work 60+ hours a week because I want a certain lifestyle. If I was an employee I'd get 40 hours if I was lucky and that would be it.

You're more than welcome to think I grew up pampered but you'd be wrong.
Let's see, I didn't have running water til I was 14.
I wore thrift store clothes.
I didn't ride in a car with ac til I was 14.
My house was unfinished.
I spent my summers working on cars.
I've had a job since I was 14. I've paid for everything I have. I moved out when I was 16 and have been paying my way ever since. I've been supporting a wife for 17 years and kids for 14.
I don't get food stamps, welfare, section 8, or any of that crap. I make well above the median wage thanks to my summers learning valuable marketable skills.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
So you're saying I want to go kill people? Really?

I have a mechanic shop so I KNOW cars are worse now. All that crap the government mandates breaks and causes nothing but problems while adding no benefit to the car.

There's no such thing as the free market because statists like you want daddy to watch over you.

Seriously, what "invisible" government support am I relying on?

The rest of your post is shows you didn't actually read or comprehend anything I've written. Most likely because you can't thanks to those public schools.

I guess we know how good a mechanic you are if all the cars you service keep breaking down. I and my mechanics have kept my ten year old car running like a fine tuned watch with minimal issues. We can also tell how well you're doing by the whining and complaining you do on not one, but two, City Data boards.

I know the irony of your comments escapes you, but your little sojourns to LA from LV are only possible because myriad government agencies have made that road trip possible.

The "free market" is a fantasy of "libertarians" who are just too ignorant to commit to any real system of government and are unable to succeed in society so they resort to blaming conspiracies for their inadequacies.

As a retired engineer and teacher, the public schools I attended (and the colleges) served me REAL well. After a long and successful career in New York City (another city that scares the bejeesus out of people like you) I am now a successful and comfortable resident of Los Angeles doing rather well on my pension and investments. Sour grapes much???

Old 05-09-2019, 06:11 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I guess we know how good a mechanic you are if all the cars you service keep breaking down. I and my mechanics have kept my ten year old car running like a fine tuned watch with minimal issues. We can also tell how well you're doing by the whining and complaining you do on not one, but two, City Data boards.

I know the irony of your comments escapes you, but your little sojourns to LA from LV are only possible because myriad government agencies have made that road trip possible.

The "free market" is a fantasy of "libertarians" who are just too ignorant to commit to any real system of government and are unable to succeed in society so they resort to blaming conspiracies for their inadequacies.

As a retired engineer and teacher, the public schools I attended (and the colleges) served me REAL well. After a long and successful career in New York City (another city that scares the bejeesus out of people like you) I am now a successful and comfortable resident of Los Angeles doing rather well on my pension and investments. Sour grapes much???

Reading must not be your strong suit. I never said their cars break down AFTER I work on them.
Most of my business comes from extraneous o2 sensors going bad, leaks in the emissions bs, and catalytic convertors. I make good money fixing it, but it costs people a lot of money for stuff they don't even need.
You can make cars efficient and cleaner without this crap.
The only repeat customers I have are ones that need different things fixed. My work lasts.

Well, we had roads before the income tax. Cross country roads at that. And as I explained in another post, just like we have cell phones and global communication capability so to can we have a network of roads without the government.
Furthermore, roads are supposed to be paid for with gas tax which I am a whole lot more ok with than forced income tax.
I can choose not to pay gas tax. I can ride a bike or a horse, or walk, or skateboard to avoid paying for gas.
I can't avoid income tax and I damn sure can't survive without working.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:33 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Reading must not be your strong suit. I never said their cars break down AFTER I work on them.
Most of my business comes from extraneous o2 sensors going bad, leaks in the emissions bs, and catalytic convertors. I make good money fixing it, but it costs people a lot of money for stuff they don't even need.
You can make cars efficient and cleaner without this crap.
The only repeat customers I have are ones that need different things fixed. My work lasts.

Well, we had roads before the income tax. Cross country roads at that. And as I explained in another post, just like we have cell phones and global communication capability so to can we have a network of roads without the government.
Furthermore, roads are supposed to be paid for with gas tax which I am a whole lot more ok with than forced income tax.
I can choose not to pay gas tax. I can ride a bike or a horse, or walk, or skateboard to avoid paying for gas.
I can't avoid income tax and I damn sure can't survive without working.

You get services for the taxes you pay. Your CO2 emissions work was more or less the product of California emissions legislation that we all benefited from in North America.

Of course, you will always have the gougers in Government like you do in private business. Look at it this way, the repeat business you give the Govt in yearly income tax is much like the money you charge your customers on a regular basis. Your customers may not like having to pay for new sensors, but they are getting something for their buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles