Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 06:44 AM

39 posts, read 38,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I read the main reason the didn't accept was the time it takes for section 8 to inspect an apartment, and they require it to be a certain standard. Meaning the landlord has to update their apartment to be adequate at the last moment.
Yes bringing/keeping your apartment up to HUD code is tough on landlords and offsets the guaranteed monthly payments. The better apartments can and do find good Section 8 clients. The ones they're describing would have credit scores too low to meet their requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 07:54 AM

1,866 posts, read 932,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Thats what happens with a liberal goverment. Keep on voting for Democrats

My thoughts exactly.
This is why I left California...liberal government.

Old 01-21-2022, 11:13 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Back in 1981, I lived in Redondo Beach w/ my 10 yr old daughter. I was sharing an apartment/rent with my childhood friend and her young son after I separated from my ex husband. My friend decided to move out and in with her boyfriend. I could not afford the entire rent so I signed up for Section 8 in Redondo Beach. I was a good tenant and the landlord accepted it. I was able to stay ~

I will always appreciate that landlord ~ I realize there are those who are NOT responsible and do not take care of someone else's property. Let's not condemn everyone though who ARE responsible and just need a little help so they can get back on their feet.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:15 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
True.

But you (and the cops) knew where the "war zone" was, you knew who had business there and who shouldn't be there. You knew if you wanted out you had to have your head on straight and take advantage of the myriad programs designed to help you get away from it.

These days, Section 8 has really just destroyed middle class neighborhoods and rewarded slothfulness with a nice suburban dwelling.

And, you're right, there are no easy solutions outside of building one set of housing projects in every single city and suburb and just spreading them out evenly everywhere you can.
69% of housing choice vouchers are held by seniors, children, or people with disabilities. Slothfulness, really?

Old 01-22-2022, 05:39 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
True.

But you (and the cops) knew where the "war zone" was, you knew who had business there and who shouldn't be there. You knew if you wanted out you had to have your head on straight and take advantage of the myriad programs designed to help you get away from it.

These days, Section 8 has really just destroyed middle class neighborhoods and rewarded slothfulness with a nice suburban dwelling.

And, you're right, there are no easy solutions outside of building one set of housing projects in every single city and suburb and just spreading them out evenly everywhere you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Back in 1981, I lived in Redondo Beach w/ my 10 yr old daughter. I was sharing an apartment/rent with my childhood friend and her young son after I separated from my ex husband. My friend decided to move out and in with her boyfriend. I could not afford the entire rent so I signed up for Section 8 in Redondo Beach. I was a good tenant and the landlord accepted it. I was able to stay ~

I will always appreciate that landlord ~ I realize there are those who are NOT responsible and do not take care of someone else's property. Let's not condemn everyone though who ARE responsible and just need a little help so they can get back on their feet.
It's hard to make sense of placing affordable housing in affluent communities when many have made the choice to live in communities that they can afford on their current income, plus the fact that the affluent communities tend not to be employment centers.

Maybe the reference was to the other 31%, and most likely a small subset thereof.

ETA: "children" is actually "families with children"

Last edited by Beardown91737; 01-22-2022 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: families with children

Old 01-22-2022, 06:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
It's hard to make sense of placing affordable housing in affluent communities when many have made the choice to live in communities that they can afford on their current income, plus the fact that the affluent communities tend not to be employment centers.

Maybe the reference was to the other 31%, and most likely a small subset thereof.

As if people with children can't be bad tenants.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:59 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post

Beardown, North Redondo Beach back in 1981 was hardly affluent. It was filled with apartments and still is.
I started working at 25 yrs old full time in 1979. Again, I was given a chance to continue living where we were - after my childhood friend moved out. I remarried a few years later. The landlord knew me, and knew I was a great tenant - no parties etc just a working mom trying to get by at the time and did not want to take on a roommate. I had a car payment - and again, I was blessed to be given a chance. As time when on- I started making good money and was with the company I was working for - for over 17 yrs.

Again, I was a responsible - good tenant who TOOK care of my apartment at the time.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:33 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Ya I know of a senior who used section 8 to live in a senior community, and while she was fine on paper it's the family members that hung out there who caused problems, sketchy adult kids crashing with her and entertaining their friends there, and having g'ma babysit for them all the time when she couldn't really handle little kids. Being a senior or having children don't really mean they aren't going to cause problems and don't mean anything in this context.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:52 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ya I know of a senior who used section 8 to live in a senior community, and while she was fine on paper it's the family members that hung out there who caused problems, sketchy adult kids crashing with her and entertaining their friends there, and having g'ma babysit for them all the time when she couldn't really handle little kids. Being a senior or having children don't really mean they aren't going to cause problems and don't mean anything in this context.
So according to you all section 8 recipients, even the elderly, aren't worth the "risk", but people without housing vouchers are honest, upright, tidy, responsible and don't have annoying family members?

Old 01-28-2022, 03:09 PM

124 posts, read 103,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Let's not condemn everyone though who ARE responsible and just need a little help so they can get back on their feet.
Thank you. It's as though many don't even see those needing help as, well, people. I'm guessing those opposed are the same church-goers who lose their collective minds when someone crosses the border, yet will cross that same border on a mission trip for Instagram validation. I guess people can only be helped when it's not done too close to "what's mine".

Broad strokes, I understand... but then isn't this whole thread??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles