Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times

Advertisements

Here is interesting observation i made yesterday which made me more confused. Chick-fill-a have no problem having straws in the lobby. So who is following the law, McDonald's or those that leave straws out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 10:31 AM

427 posts, read 367,672 times
Stupidest law ever, even by L.A. standards

Old 04-26-2019, 08:42 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
California is like the third grade bully in the schoolyard. He picks on the kindergartner (straws) because...."he can" and the little guy can't really fend for himself.

But he doesn't dare try and start a fight with the sixth grader (China, Mexico, etc) cuz he knows he'll get pummeled if he does.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
So the topic is Los Angeles straw law. People want to do the right thing and protect the environment. I get that, we don't want to live in a dump. The reality is that very little waste from the United States is the problem anymore. The majority of the plastic comes from Asia. Almost all of it comes from 10 rivers.

https://www.dw.com/en/almost-all-pla...ers/a-41581484

Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So the topic is Los Angeles straw law. People want to do the right thing and protect the environment. I get that, we don't want to live in a dump. The reality is that very little waste from the United States is the problem anymore. The majority of the plastic comes from Asia. Almost all of it comes from 10 rivers.

https://www.dw.com/en/almost-all-pla...ers/a-41581484
True enough. But doesn’t excuse Americans from our own responsibilities.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:23 AM

472 posts, read 325,152 times
And why ban straws in the first place. I have NEVER IN MY LIFE tossed a straw in the ocean. All of my straws go into the trash and wind up in the landfill. So why am I being denied a plastic straw?

Old 04-26-2019, 10:39 AM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Meanwhile junkies in San Fran get their needles paid for by hard-working citizens and they get to just toss them in the street for your kid to come along and accidentally step on. But plastic straws are the real problem.
To make this apples to apples, the real question is, do they have to ask for the syringe and needle or are they automatically just given one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
And why ban straws in the first place. I have NEVER IN MY LIFE tossed a straw in the ocean. All of my straws go into the trash and wind up in the landfill. So why am I being denied a plastic straw?
You are not being denied.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...301-story.html

Los Angeles County approved a similar ordinance restricting plastic straws in December and it applies to as many as 1,300 restaurants and food businesses in unincorporated areas. Under the county rules, restaurants must ask customers if they want a plastic straw before giving one out. In the city, it would be up to the customer to make the request in a dine-in restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Yes and i got a problem with that. Why should customer need to request one from the front. The action of the customer by picking up a straw is enough where they make a decision that they want to use one. Now in addition to asking for ranch, ketchup etc you need to ask for a straw.
OP, it is a cultural shift and you will get used to it. As long as there are no additional taxes like the hot dog tax in NYC, it is fine by me.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
When people throw away syringes, isn't that an environmental issue too? And if so, why are we not banning people from using syringes on the streets, where they end up getting washed into the sewers and harming sea life?

Old 04-26-2019, 11:00 AM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
^ I don't condone this either, but it seems like the reactions are always the same. Homeless issues are always the scapegoat it seems when it comes to the topic of the environment or immigration. The second one regarding the environment is the argument regarding pollution from China and India and "what good does it do if they are still polluting."

I am ok with laws that change customs that harm the environment, as long as there is not a tax attached to it. I am not a big government type of guy, but sometimes society needs a nudge in a certain direction to keep it from harming itself.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
When people throw away syringes, isn't that an environmental issue too? And if so, why are we not banning people from using syringes on the streets, where they end up getting washed into the sewers and harming sea life?
People aren’t “allowed” to use syringes on the streets. They just do. It is against the law to casually dispose them as litter. Period. Now you go run along and catch them and call the coppers! Take video! Fill out complaints ... go to court ... get these people locked up! Thank you so much!

In your spare time, Exitus, would you cite some actual reports / research of marine life being affected by disposed syringes? I am very interested to read about it. THANKS again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles