Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:15 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. Everybody knows that mankind’s first 200,000 years without styrofoam containers and plastic straws was a fluke ...

While we are at it, why not just ban everything that could be bad for humans that were created in the last 200 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
While we are at it, why not just ban everything that could be bad for humans that were created in the last 200 years
Absolutely agreed!

Old 05-02-2019, 01:42 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
As a human, I like straws and the convenience of them. Sealife is of absolutely no concern to me, and this law is stupid. Just like so many other retarded things they do in Los Angeles proper.
IMHO (and that is just that), at least with CA, its laws were never meant to save anything. Good for the planet Earth/Oceans is just a convenient and effective cover for their laws and regulations. CA and its politicians seem to care about one thing and one thing only, creating more ways to increasing revenue.
All, if not almost all new laws seem to be created with that mindset. What other, secondary purpose they serve, often very debatable, is another story.

They did the same approach with the plastic bag ban which the proposition for that law was initiated by the merchants because they were expecting the other piggy-backed proposition would give them sole control of how to control the collected money. When that proposition failed, the merchants/business owners behind that proposition almost immediately lost interest and backing of the "plastic bag ban" proposition.

When the proposition made it, who benefited? State of CA!
What happened to merchants that were giving paper bags? They were forced by the state to charge for it.
Why? Because people would be forced to the idea of "paying" for re-usable bags even though paper bags were really not that "re-usable".

As some pointed out in other related threads, it was not a "ban for plastic bags", it was merely a "ban for free plastic bags".

Plastic production never ceased, and what is poisoning the oceans the most is not the bags dumped in the sewer/trash, which is still occurring btw, it was the wastes from plastic processing plants and factories, mainly in Far East.

I do agree that the plastic production, therefor plastic use by people need to decrease but that has not changed significantly.

I am surprised CA hasn't jumped on the "soda tax" moneymaker yet! Is it me or is it unconstitutional to pass such laws?
I don't drink soda but taxations seems like a very convenient way to increase revenue under the disguise of helping/improving something.
How the money is used, no one really knows. Look what they discovered with the CRV! The state has been ripping people of for years.
Where is all that money that is s till unaccounted for? I suppose as the corruption and bribery grows in the office, they need more laws to increase the revenue?

Decades ago, everyone was using paper based products but the outcry to save forests/trees became the thing. Then came plastic. Now they are pushing for paper again. Reminds me of the use of sugar in sodas, then the switch to HF Corn Syrup. People caught on to how depressingly worse was the alternative. Now, everyone is amazed with how much better the Coca-Cola from Mexico tastes.

More of these types of whack-a-mole cycles I am seeing the more I think the people are being naive, that is the way the corporations and authorities treat them as well.

Also, I believe "libturd" is reserve for politicians. Tax-paying, citizens are more suitable for "*******".

Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
City of Los Angeles plastic straw law went in to effect yesterday and it's just stupid. Do politicians really expect people at fast food to drink without using a straw? Why not just ban plastic lids as well, as if you going to use a lid you need a straw. Now you need to ask for it when ordering it, anyone else find it idiotic? Good luck giving a kid soft drink without a straw, they will just spill their drink.
Yes, I do as well.

I don't got to fast food places too often but was in a McDonalds last week and had to ask for a straw for a large drink.

If you have a Los Angeles Public Library card and haven't used it in 2 years, it expires, so you get a new card and your old one is no longer valid. So rather than being able to just reactivate the one you have, it gets tossed....IMO that is waste of plastic.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Interesting unlike SB270 aka prop 67 the new straw ban does not include a local preemption thus allowing new ordinances such as what proposed by Los Angeles to pop up.
The state ordinance is bad enough. Now quite a number of restauranteers would literally "bite your head off" lecturing the ordinance should you dare to ask them for a straw. I can imagine how it would be for fast food places. Though I be curious many places put straws where walk in customers can decide to take their own. I be curious would those be affected? In my experience its only the drive thru that straws are given out automatically to customers. But thats for a good reason as otherwise how would customers drink out of the covered cup.

Having said that at least seven cities in the state continue to violate the state preemption clause of SB270 by enforcing their own ordinances crafted in 2015 or later. Interesting fact stores in Milpitas particularly those not covered under sb270(i.e stores part of Simon's Great Mall) as not required to enforce a fee on permissible bags. Due to an improper wording on the ordinance "at or before January 1, 2016." Yet they do anyways. But out of greed for money to profit off bag sales they do anyways. In addition to the fact that the entirety of the Milpitas ordinance is not valid anyways since prop 67 passed. Alas the last council which turned down the proposal in 2014 could not last long enough to keep it off their agenda one more year as in highly Progressive Bay Area if a candidate is not liberal enough they cannot last more than one term in a city council.

Interesting these radical groups still have the mentality that customers were forced to take plastic bags or straws under gunpoint by storeowners/corporate giants against their will. There has never been a store policy that you need to take that straw or bags as a condition of purchase. Maybe with the exception of duty free shops. Unless you consider the bags that wrap our products or fruit and vegetable bags.

I be curious does health codes prohibit a restaurant from putting an unopened straw packet back for any reason once a customer has touched it or it has landed on a table? Though even then customers could always had been able to refuse a straw offer.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 05-02-2019 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
City of Los Angeles plastic straw law went in to effect yesterday and it's just stupid. Do politicians really expect people at fast food to drink without using a straw?
Just bring your own reusable straw next time and you won't need to endlessly complain.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Clea...47023544&psc=1

Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 AM

427 posts, read 367,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Just bring your own reusable straw next time and you won't need to endlessly complain.

https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Clea...47023544&psc=1
Why would anyone want to do something as silly as this? What are Los Angeles citizens supposed to do, carry backpacks around with their eco friendly environmental crap? What kind of lifestyle is that? I myself prefer convenience around every corner. Put my brand new disposable straw, into my cup please and thank you.

I dont even understand why anyone cares about this stuff. It's not like you're going to be around in 100 or 500 years.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:26 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
We've had paper straws for a while now: I hate them. They get all soggy. Id sooner just sip from the cup.

That said, if it's for the environment I still support it.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:41 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
I don’t know when was the last time I used a straw for anything. I don’t drink anything but plain room temperature water ... straight from my jug/water bottle. Homo sapiens didn’t evolve to our form drinking concocted/processed beverages - let alone through a straw.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:15 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to do something as silly as this? What are Los Angeles citizens supposed to do, carry backpacks around with their eco friendly environmental crap?
I went to lunch with two friends last week who pulled one of these collapsable straws out of their purses after they ordered their beverages.

Quote:
I dont even understand why anyone cares about this stuff. It's not like you're going to be around in 100 or 500 years.
Wow. Muscle, do you have kids? Grandkids? Nieces, nephews, neighbors? You really don't care about what happens to this planet after you leave it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles