Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,242 times

Advertisements

Hi. I've been contemplating moving to Los Angeles for quite a while. I'm 25, single with no kids, and currently live in the northeast. I've been to LA 3 times and absolutely fell in love with it. I did inherit about 90K from a relative, so I think that's enough money to get started. I ideally would like to line up a job before moving, but I don't think that will happen living across the country. I'd most likely need to already be in LA to find something. I don't know anybody I can crash with while looking for a place to live and a job as well.

I do know there are many ways to make money in LA; such as ride-sharing, background acting, and many others. I've also been interested in pursuing photography. Any ideas on what I should do first if I decide to make this move? I was thinking about doing an Airbnb or extended stay place while I look for more permanent housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 10:08 PM

508 posts, read 609,048 times
Keep that money and build on it. Find a job, open a membership at a gym, get a P.O. Box, put your stuff in a storage unit and park your vehicle somewhere near a train or bus station. You’ll be very busy here, so unless you just want to initially blow through money, live in your vehicle for the first 3-6 months.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:19 AM

351 posts, read 339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
Keep that money and build on it. Find a job, open a membership at a gym, get a P.O. Box, put your stuff in a storage unit and park your vehicle somewhere near a train or bus station. You’ll be very busy here, so unless you just want to initially blow through money, live in your vehicle for the first 3-6 months.
I honestly can't tell if people are trolling on this forum anymore. The guy has $90K plus his own savings and you're telling him to live in a car for 3-6 months?

Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM

14,204 posts, read 11,469,987 times
I think it would be very foolish to spend an inheritance on moving out to LA without a well-paying job lined up. If there was a guarantee or even a reasonably good chance of getting a steady, well-paying job within a month or so, then sure. But the OP doesn't seem to have specific skills or job experience. Make it in LA by driving for Uber and an occasional gig as a background actor? Nuh-uh. Don't blow your money this way.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,260,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Make it in LA by driving for Uber and an occasional gig as a background actor? Nuh-uh. Don't blow your money this way.
some celebrities started from nothing. just determination

Old 04-30-2019, 02:19 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,410,999 times
$90k is about $95k more than most who move here.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 11,469,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
some celebrities started from nothing. just determination
Sure, one in...let's be generous...a thousand wanna-bes. I'm not sensing that kind of determination in the OP, though, or any kind of goal or ambition other than living in Los Angeles.

Last edited by saibot; 04-30-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 02:21 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,347,248 times
Is $40K cash enough, assuming one has 10 years of experience in IT PM and consulting?

The biggest challenge I am facing in finding a job is not having a local LA address

Old 05-02-2019, 02:58 PM

8,234 posts, read 13,319,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Is $40K cash enough, assuming one has 10 years of experience in IT PM and consulting?

The biggest challenge I am facing in finding a job is not having a local LA address
Isn't Mail Boxes, Etc. giving local addresses for their clients any more?
If there is going to be anything untrue on your resume, that should be your address. Even if they discovered that after hiring you, they couldn't/wouldn't fire you.

Once you have 1-2 interviews lined up, you can fly in and stay X many days then make the move once you get the job.

To me, that is nothing more than a white lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles