Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
At a regular waitress restaurant they automatically add 18% to the bill. When I went to pay they asked if I wanted to add more to the tip. This tipping thing is out of hand.
Effective January 1, 2014 the IRS changed regulation on what a tip is.

To be considered a tip the following must apply:

1. The payment must be made free from compulsion;
2. The customer must have the unrestricted right to determine the amount;
3. The payment should not be the subject of negotiation or dictated by employer policy; and
4. Generally, the customer has the right to determine who receives the payment.

Many places were tacking on a tip for large parties. The IRS classifies automatic gratuities as service charges. Service charges are considered restaurant business income and affect the business tax not the employee tax.

While a restaurant can charge the extra amount, it will also need to pay taxes on that money. A tip is additional income for the restaurant employee, taxed as income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:48 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Make your own sandwiches.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM

One of my sons has been working in the restaurant industry for the past four years. He does make minimum wage and also tips. I have heard lots of stories from him.

Busy night at Yard House, a table orders 8 or 9 drinks, he brings them to the table and gets an entire $1 for his trouble. If your drinking and want them delivered, figure on the low end a $1 a drink, especially if you don't want to do a percentage basis. Realize that after 10 a place like Yard House becomes a bar and if you want the drinks to keep flowing, you may want the money to keep moving toward your server.

Another story, a large party places a $1,200 order with food and drinks. With that kind of sale he is catering to these peoples every whim. They end up leaving a $40 tip.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
One of my sons has been working in the restaurant industry for the past four years. He does make minimum wage and also tips. I have heard lots of stories from him.

Busy night at Yard House, a table orders 8 or 9 drinks, he brings them to the table and gets an entire $1 for his trouble. If your drinking and want them delivered, figure on the low end a $1 a drink, especially if you don't want to do a percentage basis. Realize that after 10 a place like Yard House becomes a bar and if you want the drinks to keep flowing, you may want the money to keep moving toward your server.

Another story, a large party places a $1,200 order with food and drinks. With that kind of sale he is catering to these peoples every whim. They end up leaving a $40 tip.
If he lived somewhere other then CA he'd be getting $2.13/hr and still getting stiffed on tips. So luckily he's in a state that pays min wage to servers.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. Make your own sandwiches.
so you tip at fast food restaurants? do you tip the cashier at Walmart or 7-11, because they make the same salary as a waiter in CA

Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times
I’m a bit confused. If servers are getting minimum wage (and I think they should be), why also tip? I thought the whole argument for tipping is that servers get paid so poorly?

Old 05-15-2019, 11:12 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
At a regular waitress restaurant they automatically add 18% to the bill. When I went to pay they asked if I wanted to add more to the tip. This tipping thing is out of hand.

It certainly is. I don’t tip at fast food places like Subway, Jersey Mikes, or even Panera . A while ago they all have the point of sale machine programmed to ask for a tip. Ridiculous. I’m in line and order my sandwiches and they’re made and I leave. Nobody is waiting on anyone or serving you for two hours. Occasionally at Panera if you eat in a server brings you your plate and leaves. You never see them again. Not tipping for that.

Yard House and other restaurants are different. You are being waited on and served and it’s an ongoing activity until you leave the restaurant. Yes these workers deserve tips.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
I’m a bit confused. If servers are getting minimum wage (and I think they should be), why also tip? I thought the whole argument for tipping is that servers get paid so poorly?
Shhh we aren't supposed to know this.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
The dishwashers make minimum wage as well and yet you never see them. The dishwashers are not part of the dining experience. Wait staff on the other hand are there to be part of the experience. They are part of the show. Wait staff are the people that you go to to take care of your problems during a meal. Without the tip they have no incentive to take care of what can be a difficult part of the job. You are not paying a tip for the food. You are paying a tip for the experience.

In most places the tip that you are giving is split between the chef, the wait staff, and other members of the staff. When you don't tip the server gets to take care of all those people out of his tips or pay.

Our son worked at a teppan style place. It is a show to go to that type of restaurant. Tips where he worked were split up with 10% to the back, 45% to the Chef, and 45% to the Wait staff. Did not matter if people did not get paid, everyone but the server got paid if patrons neglected the tip.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The dishwashers make minimum wage as well and yet you never see them. The dishwashers are not part of the dining experience. Wait staff on the other hand are there to be part of the experience. They are part of the show. Wait staff are the people that you go to to take care of your problems during a meal. Without the tip they have no incentive to take care of what can be a difficult part of the job. You are not paying a tip for the food. You are paying a tip for the experience.

In most places the tip that you are giving is split between the chef, the wait staff, and other members of the staff. When you don't tip the server gets to take care of all those people out of his tips or pay.

Our son worked at a teppan style place. It is a show to go to that type of restaurant. Tips where he worked were split up with 10% to the back, 45% to the Chef, and 45% to the Wait staff. Did not matter if people did not get paid, everyone but the server got paid if patrons neglected the tip.
I don't go out to a restaurant for an experience, I got out to restaurants to eat. This is why quick service is the fastest growing trend in restaurants. Order at the counter, have someone bring food to your table and not have to tip anyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles