Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:51 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
So you CHOSE to get pets and want me to stop doing what I want to cater to you?

How about no. How about you think about the 20 million people in your city that aren't you and WANT to have fireworks.

How can you not see that YOU are the one being incredibly selfish. You want to impose your will over everyone. You can't get anymore selfish than that.
What you fail to understand is, FIREWORKS IN THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES ARE ILLEGAL,meaning, you are not allowed , by law to have them.
It is not me that is being selfish it is you, and others like you.
Why do you feel it is acceptable to go against the law?
Bob.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
CALGUY, all your posts in this thread seem to focus on you or your dog. And then you accuse others of being selfish...
I am not only embarking on this campaign for me, it is for the benefit of all who own pets, property owners who's houses could burn down, people with ptsd, and the elderly, and wild animals who also are frightened when fireworks go off.

Besides all of that, it is against the law here in Los Angeles to sell, distribute, and use fireworks,
I am working to get those laws enforced.

Bob.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Old dog loved them. Ran around in the street barking at them. Would sit with us in the driveway and watch with great interest.

Present dog does not like them and sleeps on the bed in the master bedroom when they are peaking.

Present and past cats could not care less. Present one sits in the window and watches.
Then I would have to say you have some very unusual pets,
Statistics point out that a larger percentage of animals are freighted of fireworks, than those that are not.

You are aware if you live in this city, and using fireworks, you are breaking the law don't you?
And don't use that old excuse of everyone is doing it, or what about the other laws people are breaking.
Going against written law is putting yourself in a position where it could cost you money, as well as jail time,

Don't think so?
Google fireworks law in Los Angeles, and read for yourself.

Bob.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:21 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In my old tract in Los Alamitos we use to actually park a couple of cars to block the street off. And we had two police officers living on the block. And the stuff was all shot off in the middle of the street. Far safer than in the backyards. And everybody out so if one did go astray there would be a hose on it in less than a minute.
We did this in the suburbs of L.A. growing up--although in neighbors' backyard patios, not in the street--but looking back, it was probably more dangerous than any of the adults realized. Why we wanted to see more fireworks after having attended a huge city fireworks display, I'm not sure.

From last July:
Skip the fines and fires caused by illegal shows. L.A. has plenty of legal fireworks displays:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...703-story.html

Fireworks Facts: 8 Deaths, 12,900 Injuries in 2017; $900M Sales Expected as States Ease Curbs:
https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../02/493945.htm

The effect of fireworks on air pollution in L.A.:

The Fourth of July brings some of the year's worst air pollution. You can thank fireworks:
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...703-story.html

Old 05-18-2019, 04:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Then I would have to say you have some very unusual pets,
Statistics point out that a larger percentage of animals are freighted of fireworks, than those that are not.

You are aware if you live in this city, and using fireworks, you are breaking the law don't you?
And don't use that old excuse of everyone is doing it, or what about the other laws people are breaking.
Going against written law is putting yourself in a position where it could cost you money, as well as jail time,

Don't think so?
Google fireworks law in Los Angeles, and read for yourself.

Bob.
Much of S. CA allowed safe and sane. But practically the 4th is celebrated with heavier stuff. I see no particular reason the police would not enforce fire work laws on days other than the fourth and there are not enough fireworks usage in S. CA or Las Vegas that they cannot be run down.

We get it here once in a while at someone's party but they all hold it to 10 or 15 minutes to avoid police trouble. The local police here will roll on as firework display other than at the fourth.

In the old neighborhood in Los Alamitos there were a number of animals who enjoyed the fire works. There were dozens of kids and at least a dozen animals that were present over the many years we participated.

I suspect that the exposure with other animals and in a crowd tended to minimize the fear of the noise and lights. One dog had to be kept on a leash as he was fascinated by the launching process and would try to get his nose into it.

I would also note we lived in close proximity to the local high school were there were occasionally firework displays that were far more noisy than the 4th displays. I have also lived in a couple of other places where formal fire works shows occurred in close proximity to residential areas without any dogs dying or vets going into PSD attacks.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
What you fail to understand is, FIREWORKS IN THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES ARE ILLEGAL,meaning, you are not allowed , by law to have them.
Bob.
We have a culture of selfish, entitled overgrown children who believe that their ego comes first and that they should be able to do whatever they want regardless of law. It starts at the top with government that refuses to enforce laws and even invites people to break them by inviting illegal immigrants and homeless people with open arms.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Kind of interesting. Just thought about it and realized I have been personally dealing with this issue for more years than many of you have been alive.

I grew up on the southern outskirts of Louisville Ky. About 72 years ago I reached the second grade and discovered fire works. In Louisville there was a two week period before the fourth when all the kids went fire works mad. But like LA fireworks were illegal. But they were legal in Jefferson County and we lived only a half mile or so from the City line. Right across the city line there was a fireworks stand. No safe and sane either. Things that blew up or flew. For those two weeks the only thing limiting the children and fireworks was their budgets. And we really got good at things like launching tin cans to greater and greater heights.

A number of the parents gave detailed instructions about what was and was not allowed. Think the older kids listened maybe to get new ideas.

So actually LA is rather light weight in comparisons. By the way that neighborhood was loaded with children and dogs. There were at least 30 or 40 kids on our block and a few dozen dogs. None were stressed by the fire work weeks.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:17 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Great logic. If someone walks up to you and puts a bullet in your head because they are doing what they want and having fun, no big deal right? You wouldn't want them to not do that because they want to right?

Your name says it all. The leap between fireworks, something the entire country does twice a year, and the entire world does once a year, and murder is just absurd.

However, to try and put it in terms you can comprehend.

If the entire country participated in murder recreationally, and someone shot me, I'd be ok with it because it is the consensus that murder is ok.

However, we do not participate in murder. In fact a tiny fraction of a percent of Americans actually murder people and when caught they're severely punished.

As I mentioned above, the entire country sets off fireworks on July 4th. The consensus is fireworks on july 4th are great. As such you are in the wrong to try and stifle the will of the people.

Quote:
I think you're just trolling to get a rise out of the OP.

Why is it whenever someone expresses a differing opinion, people like you insist that they're trolling?

Quote:
Yep, millions of people can afford to drug their pets or relocate during the weeks of firework activity in LA so morons can keep everyone awake half the night.

How is this the problem of me or anyone else? YOU run your life. I'll run mine. If I need special accommodations it's up to me to obtain them, not other people.
If you need special accommodations, work it out.

Quote:

It's so much fun to listen to the Windows rattle at 2am several nights in a row because thousands of a**holes are trying to out do each other in the noise making department - they aren't celebrating anything, just being stupid and inconsiderate.

Is freedom supposed to be quiet and during certain hours? If YOU don't like something YOU can go elsewhere instead of trying to make everyone else comply with you. There are 50 states in this country. Hundreds of countries around the world. There are private islands, remote villages, and mountain top retreats for you to go live the isolated quiet life you want. If you want quiet, why are you in one of the largest cities on earth?

Quote:
Not only do the fireworks upset pets, humans in general and those with PTSD they are an incredible fire hazard in many areas of LA.
I wish the OP well with his quest.

No one made anyone get pets. No one made ptsd patients to move to a loud city.
If fireworks are such a fire hazard, then the city, who collects insane amounts of tax money, needs to take care of everything flammable. Because there are sparks, flames, and heat sources all over a city that could set a fire just as easily as fireworks.

Quote:
Bob.

Speeding is illegal. I guarantee you that your car has exceeded the speed limit more than once. More than likely on a daily basis.

Slavery was legal. Would you own slaves today if it were legal?

Women couldn't vote a few decades ago. Should they have remained quiet and complied with the law?

Weed was illegal until a few years ago. Should all those people suffering horrible side effects of chemo have abstained because ink on paper said they couldn't? What about those kids with severe seizures that can only find reprieve in weed? Should they just be left to convulse because the law?

What if I run for governor and make it illegal to have dogs that can't take fireworks? Are you going to give up your dog?

What if I make it illegal to have the name Bob? You going to change your name?

Something being lawful or unlawful doesn't make it right or wrong.

But for poops and giggles let's imagine that you get your way and the police enforce the law.
let's be conservative and say 500,000 people set off fireworks.
According to the LAPD there are 9,000 cops on the force.

COMPSTAT Plus - Los Angeles Police Department

That means every single cop on the force would have to arrest 55 people each.
LA has 22,000 inmates on any given day.

Where exactly are you going to house an addition 500,000 people?

Now, keep in mind, there are about 2 million total inmates in the entire country. You want to put 1/4 of that population into the system in one day in one city.

According to https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/...ics-Report.pdf

There are about 6 million total court cases per year in the state of California.
There's a huge back log already. Can you even fathom what would happen if 500,000 additional people were to be put into the court system?

To say you haven't thought this through is a massive understatement.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
I am not only embarking on this campaign for me, it is for the benefit of all who own pets, property owners who's houses could burn down, people with ptsd, and the elderly, and wild animals who also are frightened when fireworks go off.

Besides all of that, it is against the law here in Los Angeles to sell, distribute, and use fireworks,
I am working to get those laws enforced.

Bob.
Only some pets dislike the fireworks.

How many houses burn down on the 4th of July vs. the other 364 days of the year?

What about all the veterans who like the fireworks and need them to help fight off depression?

Do most elderly people not enjoy fireworks?

Wild animals are wild, so why are you worried about how they feel about fireworks? If anything, we have too many wild animals in CA, especially coyotes, so fireworks are helpful to cull the herds.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Only some pets dislike the fireworks.

How many houses burn down on the 4th of July vs. the other 364 days of the year?

What about all the veterans who like the fireworks and need them to help fight off depression?

Do most elderly people not enjoy fireworks?

Wild animals are wild, so why are you worried about how they feel about fireworks? If anything, we have too many wild animals in CA, especially coyotes, so fireworks are helpful to cull the herds.
You have absolutely no grasp of the situation.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles