Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
See the link ryanms3030 posted.

Everyone that hods a camera is press according to u.s. supreme court case from the 80's. Being library is public property a lot of library rues are not enforceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Referring to the loud person on her phone, as someone said, you should have spoken with a department head or someone sitting behind a desk. In other words, one of the professionals, not just a person (possibly only a volunteer) who is shelving DVDs. That person was probably not a librarian but simply a library employee and was not trained in maintaining standards regarding library patrons.

Libraries today have a terrible problem with people just dropping in and hanging out all day to wash in their sink and use their toilet. There's nothing they can do because it's public property. But most libraries have rules about behavior, especially loud behavior. Some libraries are very liberal and allow almost anything. But the mission of a public library is supposed to be to make knowledge accessible to all members of the public, rich or poor. So I think if that person's loud behavior is interfering with your acquisition of knowledge, it is defeating the purpose of what a library is there for. (However, I was in a library once where someone was practicing voice lessons--loudly--in an adjoining room! No way for me to study as I couldn't move to some quiet room.)

Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Everyone that hods a camera is press according to u.s. supreme court case from the 80's. Being library is public property a lot of library rues are not enforceable.
That's interesting. Please post a link to the info.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
That's interesting. Please post a link to the info.

read up on gertz v. robert welch inc. in that case where the court ruled that "[SIZE=2]freedom of the press applies to everyone - not only journalists"[/SIZE]

There are many other cases as well and this might be good article to read that explains freedom of the press https://washingtonsblog.com/2019/04/...ess-means.html

Being everyone can be press , having rules that prevents one from exercising their 1st amendment in public can only be restricted if high bar is achieved such as screaming fire in crowded movie theater.

Yes library can enforce their rues but it needs in the proper manner and not just because they created a rule that says something.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:37 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,902 times
Thanks, very interesting reading.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:33 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
read up on gertz v. robert welch inc. in that case where the court ruled that "[SIZE=2]freedom of the press applies to everyone - not only journalists"[/SIZE]

There are many other cases as well and this might be good article to read that explains freedom of the press https://washingtonsblog.com/2019/04/...ess-means.html

Being everyone can be press , having rules that prevents one from exercising their 1st amendment in public can only be restricted if high bar is achieved such as screaming fire in crowded movie theater.

Yes library can enforce their rues but it needs in the proper manner and not just because they created a rule that says something.
What newsworthy event were you recording in the library. There is a fine line between being a journalist and reporting news for the greater good and being a jerk and disrupting everyone who is trying to use a library so that you can prove a selfish point. You live in a society

Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
What newsworthy event were you recording in the library. There is a fine line between being a journalist and reporting news for the greater good and being a jerk and disrupting everyone who is trying to use a library so that you can prove a selfish point. You live in a society

Yes i live in society that is governed by laws. In this case i was gathering content for possible publication. Just because Library has rules that says something can't be done does not mean it's enforceable because rules and policy only apply to the employees. I on the other hand follow the law. Depending on the area OP was in, it's very possible that the person wasn't violating any laws by using cell phone as it was consider to be general area and not area designed to be quiet area.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Yes i live in society that is governed by laws. In this case i was gathering content for possible publication. Just because Library has rules that says something can't be done does not mean it's enforceable because rules and policy only apply to the employees. I on the other hand follow the law. Depending on the area OP was in, it's very possible that the person wasn't violating any laws by using cell phone as it was consider to be general area and not area designed to be quiet area.
Libraries are quiet areas. What is and what is law isn't the question. What is polite to the your fellow members of society is the question. People go to a library with certain expectations. People that go to a library expect it to be a quiet place, that is a societal expectation. If someone is going to go into a library and cause a disruption for the other dozens of people in there because you feel entitled to do so because it's not explicitly against the law then you are just a selfish, entitled jerk.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:10 PM

[quote=ryanms3030;55234557[B]]Libraries are quiet areas[/b]. What is and what is law isn't the question. What is polite to the your fellow members of society is the question. People go to a library with certain expectations. People that go to a library expect it to be a quiet place, that is a societal expectation. If someone is going to go into a library and cause a disruption for the other dozens of people in there because you feel entitled to do so because it's not explicitly against the law then you are just a selfish, entitled jerk.[/quote]

Libraries were quiet area. People were going there to do research, read books etc. That is no longer the case. Purpose of library been changing for a while now. Societal expectation is irrelevant. Everyone is free to their opinion so if something thinks for example i am a jerk, that is totally fine with me.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:11 PM

[quote=looker009;55234751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030;55234557[B
]Libraries are quiet areas[/b]. What is and what is law isn't the question. What is polite to the your fellow members of society is the question. People go to a library with certain expectations. People that go to a library expect it to be a quiet place, that is a societal expectation. If someone is going to go into a library and cause a disruption for the other dozens of people in there because you feel entitled to do so because it's not explicitly against the law then you are just a selfish, entitled jerk.[/quote]

Libraries were quiet area. People were going there to do research, read books etc. That is no longer the case. Purpose of library been changing for a while now. Societal expectation is irrelevant. Everyone is free to their opinion so if something thinks for example i am a jerk, that is totally fine with me.
we must go to different libraries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles