Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 05:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
That 2 officers have been diagnosed with Typhus and rags have taken over the city? Just would like to find out from people that actually live there
Human Feces, Other Filth at Homeless Camps Lure Rats to L.A. City Hall, Report Says

https://ktla.com/2019/06/03/human-feces-other-filth-at-homeless-camps-lure-rats-to-l-a-city-hall-report-says/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_c ontent=5cf58af25f25b20001a15383&utm_medium=trueAnt hem&utm_source=twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 06:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Guess the Garbagecetti nickname is accurate

Old 06-03-2019, 07:28 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Human Feces, Other Filth at Homeless Camps Lure Rats to L.A. City Hall, Report Says

https://ktla.com/2019/06/03/human-feces-other-filth-at-homeless-camps-lure-rats-to-l-a-city-hall-report-says/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_c ontent=5cf58af25f25b20001a15383&utm_medium=trueAnt hem&utm_source=twitter

Um. Yes. The “report” from an exterminating business looking for a long term contract? A “report” that cites the filth attracting rats as including “discarded needles and human feces and urine”? That report? Rats thrive on “discarded needles”? Don’t think so. Rats are willing to eat feces from their own and from other animals including humans for any undigested content if there are no other foods available. Lots of food supply besides feces all over LA. And “urine”? Um no.

Look, the filth problem is real and disgusting. But the filth and rats have been overrunning the city since forever. This blame the homeless game is bs. The homeless are one component among many ... and not the largest. Trash is being dumped by businesses and the public at much greater rates.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Look, the filth problem is real and disgusting. But the filth and rats have been overrunning the city since forever. This blame the homeless game is bs. The homeless are one component among many ... and not the largest. Trash is being dumped by businesses and the public at much greater rates.
No one is dumping trash around city hall or in any of the blocks near it.

The dumping is going on over a mile away on skid row.

On the other hand, for the past year or so there have been very large homeless encampments within a few blocks of City Hall along 1st between Spring and Broadway, lining the street that runs parallel to the 101 on the north side of the 101, on Spring and Main st next to Olvera st, AND around City Hall East.

Seriously, Main St between 1st and Temple has about 20 homeless tents each night and the homeless stay around CHE each day. Today it was all in full view as there was a media event at CHE and all the homeless CRAP...and lets make no mistake, despite how much the federal judges bury their heads in the ground, the entirety of mentally ill homeless "property" is CRAP....was moved away from the building and lining Main St.

Previously there had been only a handful of homeless around, most concentrated in the park along Los Angeles St across from Union Station.

I don't understand why you are defending the situation. This one falls squarely on the City Clowncil and Garbagecetti.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
No one is dumping trash around city hall or in any of the blocks near it.

The dumping is going on over a mile away on skid row.

On the other hand, for the past year or so there have been very large homeless encampments within a few blocks of City Hall along 1st between Spring and Broadway, lining the street that runs parallel to the 101 on the north side of the 101, on Spring and Main st next to Olvera st, AND around City Hall East.

Seriously, Main St between 1st and Temple has about 20 homeless tents each night and the homeless stay around CHE each day. Today it was all in full view as there was a media event at CHE and all the homeless CRAP...and lets make no mistake, despite how much the federal judges bury their heads in the ground, the entirety of mentally ill homeless "property" is CRAP....was moved away from the building and lining Main St.

Previously there had been only a handful of homeless around, most concentrated in the park along Los Angeles St across from Union Station.

I don't understand why you are defending the situation. This one falls squarely on the City Clowncil and Garbagecetti.
Not “defending”. I am clarifying. The trash piles are all over including where there are no homeless camps. Here’s a link for you on the range of the problem ... including the homeless ... and way beyond them:
Quote:
So who’s tossing all that trash, turning city streets into landfills?
Without doubt, some homeless people discard junk on the streets where they live, and not always in the trash bins that dot the district by the dozens. But they don’t appear to be the biggest polluters. Not even close, and I’ll get back to that in a minute.

Councilman Jose Huizar represents the downtown area, and two of his staffers told me they have requested more resources to knock down illegal dumping. There’s definitely a backlog of service calls, they said, and some areas downtown don’t get the attention they need because they’re not in a BID. The 800 block of Ceres, in fact, is just south of Lopez’s BID, and dumpers may be taking advantage of the fact that there are no regular patrols.

When I was at the Ceres Avenue trash pile, I noticed a lot of packing materials, food crates and bins that appeared to be from local businesses. Word on the street, from merchants and homeless people, was that some of the more unscrupulous merchants routinely dump their own trash on the streets or pay homeless people a few bucks to get rid of it for them.

The dumping got worse, one merchant claimed, when the city switched to a new recycling system that gave monopolies to companies in each sector of the city.
But go ahead and join the righteous, blaming only the low-hanging fruit who are the easy target.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
People think it's ok to dump their trash because they see trash already there from the encampments. 10 years ago this didn't happen. LA is creating a cesspool from their inability to ANYTHING to get rid and of the homeless, the tents and even the rats.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:53 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
People think it's ok to dump their trash because they see trash already there from the encampments. 10 years ago this didn't happen. LA is creating a cesspool from their inability to ANYTHING to get rid and of the homeless, the tents and even the rats.
Like it or not, I have the only solution to this homeless problem, and sooner or later everyone, including the politicians are going to have to deal with this situation as I have outlined in many, many post.
These homeless need to be placed in the unused internment camps used in wwII.
There are two, I believe here in California, and others scattered through out the country.

No one likes that idea, but it IS GOING TO HAVE TO HAPPEN.
It can't go on like this, with nothing being done.

These internment camps were built to hold thousands during the war, and they could once again.
Hospitals, schools, mental health counseling, job counseling, could all be a part of this proposal.
The homeless would have a permanent roof over their head, three meals a day, and facilities to keep themselves clean.
Funding could be a combination of state, and federal government for this, and it WOULD work, but everyone has to get on board.

If you think this is not the way to go, I am all ears.
If you have a better solution, I'd like to hear it.
Let's hear your solutions.

Bob.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:36 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I have to tell you that I am so scared over this homeless issue - typhoid fever etc etc. I have a weak immune system and we have homeless ppl coming through our neighborhood- messing with our trash bins and I am scared to death to even get near my bins anymore. I sometimes put on gloves to bring them back up by our house after trash day. Something has to be done. People need to get VERY angry in my home state of California. I don't care if you are Republican-Libertarian or Dem...people need to get upset over this. This is no laughing matter and unless you live here- see it - you cannot comprehend.

I'm very sorry to hear that. It's not fair at all to you. You have a basic right to good health and you should not need to live in fear of diseases that can be prevented by a rational, benevolent city government.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
People think it's ok to dump their trash because they see trash already there from the encampments. 10 years ago this didn't happen.
You mean they already see trash dumped from merchants who don't want to pay the increased trash fee. So, join those who want to fight against it.

"Meanwhile, let’s keep the pressure on City Hall.

I drove a little farther south Thursday and found a monumental dumpsite at East 25th Street and Long Beach Avenue along the railroad tracks. I took photos during my survey to share with City Hall, and I’d like you to do the same.

Get your camera or phone and send me photos of eyesores in your neighborhood or near your place of employment. Include the address, and I’ll take a look at as many as I can get to, publicize the filth and count the days until City Hall cleans it up.

If we don’t take charge, who will?"

https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...601-story.html

Old 06-04-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
You want to know who’s dumping the trash?

Americans.

... the homeless are only dragging odd’s n ends out for reuse here and there.

Facts are our western culture of conspicuous consumption is a century-old marketing / economics philosophy consciously created to condition consumers to use as much throw away product as possible. The history is well documented and taught in university economics and business departments. It was conceived and developed by advertising / marketing developers.

And you like nearly all people in America and the developed world have bought into the concept and are fully involved.

Now the trash is piling up and up and up ... to the point where we try to ship it out of view to a variety of places including on ships overseas. Whooops! Even that approach is starting to fail as foreign countries cease accepting and have even started shipping back.

Quote:
China's Ban on Imported Recyclables Is Drowning U.S. Cities in Trash
Curbside garbage and recycling pickup tends to seem a bit magical, with waste removed and sent away without most consumers ever seeing where it goes. But many U.S. cities are struggling with an overload of recyclables and may soon change their pickup programs, if they haven’t already. The reason behind that big shift has to do with pollution in China and how the global recycling market disproportionately impacts other nations that buy imported paper and plastic refuse and recyclables.

China Ceased Buying Recycling, Filling US Cities With Trash | Fortune
But sure, all y’all, just keep shouting and waving your arms about the ‘disgusting homeless’ who are merely displaying a tiny tiny minuscule fraction of what you throw away every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles