Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 05:01 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
The job (entry level IT for a small Co.) will pay slightly above 50K.
While 50K per month isn't going to make you rich, you should be able to get by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 05:33 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Personally, I wouldn't live in downtown, if the rent were free.
I never go downtown.
I see more than enough of it on the tv news.
Seriously?

Old 06-25-2019, 05:37 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Agree. Homelessness is a problem just about everywhere now.

To the OP, as others have stated, I would try not to limit yourself to an apartment downtown, which is well served by commuter rail. If you can find a place near Metrolink or one of the light rail lines, that would open up your housing possibilities. A friend of mine rents a two-bedroom house in Highland Park for $2k a month, just a few blocks from the Goldline.
Check out the LADOT Commuter Express buses, too. They converge on downtown, they're very comfy (motorcoaches, not downtown buses), they're as fast or faster than driving, and you have downtime to read or work.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
I have been offered a promotion along with a small raise and a "California cost of living" bonus. The job (entry level IT for a small Co.) will pay slightly above 50K. Their office is in downtown LA. I know it's cheaper to live farther away from downtown LA but I'd hate the commute.

My question is, is 50k enough for a single person with no kids to live in downtown LA? I'm talking about a small 1bed Apt or studio?
You can find decent Studio Apartments in DTLA for between $1,700 and $2,000. There are some newer units in the Little Tokyo area that fall within that price range.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:24 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
Rent in Downtown is very expensive because before the boom in the last 10-15 years, the limited housing stock was SROs, they were senior housing complexes, or they were high priced Downtown apartments built before that in like those near Disney Concert Hall.
Then developers given the green light to turn the old buildings into lofts especially around Main/Spring street.
Then all these new apartment complexes built all over and now all these high rise condos built like around Staples Center.
So overall most units are new compared to most of LA City/County were most are older than 20 years. Because there is always people wanting to live in new buildings/towers with views and city living, they are willing to pay for it thus keeping prices fairly high. Doesnt help that there is a housing crisis and that homes are so expensive that renters would rather stay renters in nice new buildings than buy a half million dollar home in South Central. Thats why there is still high demand for luxury units.

There are cheaper areas just outside Downtown. Westlake, Koreatown, East Hollywood, Boyle Heights, Lincoln Heights., Historic South Central. So you dont have to live far away like Corona or Oceanside or Simi Valley. Koreatown is pretty cool these days. Lots of mostly older buildings from 1980s or older. Recently some newer buildings built especially near along Wilshire Blvd like near Vermont Ave.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Do not, I repeat do not move to the San Fernando Valley. Never understand why people suggest places that are way too far and make for a miserable commute.
If you work downtown live downtown or as close to downtown as possible. Living close to your job in Los Angeles makes life so much better. Koreatown is a great alternative if downtown is too expensive. Two major subway lines have stations in Koreatown. Metrobus service is 24 hrs a day 7 days a week from downtown to Santa Monica along Wilshire Blvd. I live downtown and it is the most enjoyable neighborhood I have lived since moving here 9 yrs ago. Do not listen to people who talk **** about it but never go. They know nothing about downtown. It's the hottest and fastest growing neighborhood in Los Angeles.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I have not been downtown in 8 or 9 months. The news keeps talking about the trash problem and the homeless downtown. Is it as bad as they say on the news?

Old 06-26-2019, 12:17 PM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Do not, I repeat do not move to the San Fernando Valley. Never understand why people suggest places that are way too far and make for a miserable commute.
If you work downtown live downtown or as close to downtown as possible. Living close to your job in Los Angeles makes life so much better. Koreatown is a great alternative if downtown is too expensive. Two major subway lines have stations in Koreatown. Metrobus service is 24 hrs a day 7 days a week from downtown to Santa Monica along Wilshire Blvd. I live downtown and it is the most enjoyable neighborhood I have lived since moving here 9 yrs ago. Do not listen to people who talk **** about it but never go. They know nothing about downtown. It's the hottest and fastest growing neighborhood in Los Angeles.
You have the subway and Metrolink from the East Valley / Burbank

I commuted downtown for years from No Hollywood area. Takes 25 minutes

Old 06-26-2019, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka View Post
You have the subway and Metrolink from the East Valley / Burbank

I commuted downtown for years from No Hollywood area. Takes 25 minutes
That is a nice alternative. Many times we come in from Oxnard and park in Santa Monica, to take the Metrolink to down town. I have done this for USC games as well, when we were not planning on tailgating. It always seems to be clean on the metrolink as well. People for the most part. at least when I rode it, were nice and kept to themselves.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
You should be able to find a studio for $1,100 in Westlake near Alvarado St where Latinos live.
Or in Koreatown.

Parking will be additional $100.
Public transportation is super good there.
https://hotpads.com/westlake-los-ang...ments-for-rent

Downtown LA is a hub for public transportation, so you can get there from the surrounding areas easily.
Alhambra, Monrovia via the Gold Line subway.
Where Latinos live? Um Latino people live in all areas of Los Angles. OP don’t move to that area unless you want to be miserable and surrounded by filth and graffiti.

As far as downtown it’s hit or miss depending on what block you’re on. Little Tokyo is nice but other areas are kind of run down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles