Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 PM

2,519 posts, read 1,302,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
OP don’t move to that area unless you want to be miserable and surrounded by filth and graffiti.
Good fearmongering!

It helps to reduce apartment prices in the "filthy and miserable" area by $1,500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
I dont live in LA, only visited, and from what I have read and heard you will have horrible time in SoCal on $50K. You may have to commute from California City.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I dont live in LA, only visited, and from what I have read and heard you will have horrible time in SoCal on $50K. You may have to commute from California City.
No, no, that's an exaggeration. Commuting from California City for a job in DTLA isn't necessary, and quite honestly, hardly doable.

You can live on $50k in Los Angeles, but it helps if you're smart with money, wise about where you live relative to your job, and stay out of dept. As a friend of mine is known to point out, "it takes skill to live here." And that is true about Southern California in so many ways. Besides, just because the OP accepts a $50k/yr. job today doesn't mean getting stuck there. Few things are static in Los Angeles, particularly jobs and careers. You're always on the lookout for opportunities. The OP is in tech, after all.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:05 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Good fearmongering!

It helps to reduce apartment prices in the "filthy and miserable" area by $1,500.
What fearmongering? Highlighting the amount of garbage and graffiti in a neighborhood is a fact--it has nothing to do with fear. Notice I didn't say, like another poster, that he'd hear gunshots every night. You obviously have no knowledge of the area.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
No, no, that's an exaggeration. Commuting from California City for a job in DTLA isn't necessary, and quite honestly, hardly doable.

You can live on $50k in Los Angeles, but it helps if you're smart with money, wise about where you live relative to your job, and stay out of dept. As a friend of mine is known to point out, "it takes skill to live here." And that is true about Southern California in so many ways. Besides, just because the OP accepts a $50k/yr. job today doesn't mean getting stuck there. Few things are static in Los Angeles, particularly jobs and careers. You're always on the lookout for opportunities. The OP is in tech, after all.
Actually that has gotten me thinking. SoCal is big place. There must be pockets away from the beaches that are still affordable. I guess the problem with California ( a lot like the Northeast ) is enclaves that make certain places feel off limits. Here is a vid of a guy that lives in Anaheim. The complex he lives in is very nice. He has a balcony, and pool, and large living space. It is not that expensive, not for all those amenities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xNzu1BFgeg

Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Actually that has gotten me thinking. SoCal is big place. There must be pockets away from the beaches that are still affordable. I guess the problem with California ( a lot like the Northeast ) is enclaves that make certain places feel off limits. Here is a vid of a guy that lives in Anaheim. The complex he lives in is very nice. He has a balcony, and pool, and large living space. It is not that expensive, not for all those amenities.
Prices in Anaheim are not that different from Los Angeles.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
What fearmongering? Highlighting the amount of garbage and graffiti in a neighborhood is a fact--it has nothing to do with fear. Notice I didn't say, like another poster, that he'd hear gunshots every night. You obviously have no knowledge of the area.
Recently, killers tried to assassinate me twice in West Hollywood and Hancock Park.
Only my quick reaction saved me when they ran red lights.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:42 PM

925 posts, read 1,066,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.Lobo View Post
I have been offered a promotion along with a small raise and a "California cost of living" bonus. The job (entry level IT for a small Co.) will pay slightly above 50K. Their office is in downtown LA. I know it's cheaper to live farther away from downtown LA but I'd hate the commute.

My question is, is 50k enough for a single person with no kids to live in downtown LA? I'm talking about a small 1bed Apt or studio?
Commuting to Downtown LA is easy if you are close to a Metrorail or Metrolink stop. I commute to Downtown on the train from Montclair in the western IE on the train and I love it. If you drive downtown you will be miserable from almost any area.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:17 PM

545 posts, read 514,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That is a nice alternative. Many times we come in from Oxnard and park in Santa Monica, to take the Metrolink to down town. I have done this for USC games as well, when we were not planning on tailgating. It always seems to be clean on the metrolink as well. People for the most part. at least when I rode it, were nice and kept to themselves.
Metrolink is pretty nice and also caters to a better crowd than the subway

Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Recently, killers tried to assassinate me twice in West Hollywood and Hancock Park.
Only my quick reaction saved me when they ran red lights.
Yes, because West Hollywood and Hancock Park are JUST LIKE MacArthur Park. Also, talking about garbage and graffiti are the same thing as talking about murder. Surely the OP benefits from your wonderful contribution to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles