Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 PM

93 posts, read 422,627 times

Advertisements

So I've been looking online for affordable apts in L.A. I want to be more on the west side of town, close to West Hollywood/Santa Monica/Venice Beach if possible. I came across Sante Fe Lofts in apartments.com. The rent is affordable for me and they seem nice, pretty spacious, and close to everything. What can anyone tell me about the area? is it safe? Can anyone recommend some apt complexes or areas I should look into, (my max rent is $1400. and I need someplace with off street parking). Thanks for the advice

The link for sante fe lofts:

Apartments.com - Community Glance

*I also found these: The Fleur De Lis apts, they seem really cheap by LA standards, are they totally ghetto or should I consider them?

Last edited by Rachel127; 04-14-2008 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
This is no where near the areas you want to live. The link you have is for an apartment Downtown which is highly unattractive. You don't really want to live downtown. There are tons of apartments in your price range. Try craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events you'll find lots of apartments there.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
So I've been looking online for affordable apts in L.A. I want to be more on the west side of town, close to West Hollywood/Santa Monica/Venice Beach if possible. I came across Sante Fe Lofts in apartments.com. The rent is affordable for me and they seem nice, pretty spacious, and close to everything. What can anyone tell me about the area? is it safe? Can anyone recommend some apt complexes or areas I should look into, (my max rent is $1400. and I need someplace with off street parking). Thanks for the advice

The link for sante fe lofts:

*I also found these: The Fleur De Lis apts, they seem really cheap by LA standards, are they totally ghetto or should I consider them?

That is at 6th and Main, pretty gritty. It's improving, but speaking as someone who goes downtown quite often, I wouldn't live there. There are some fairly cheapish places in Koreatown, not far from the Western/Wilshire subway station. I would stick north of Wilshire and veer northwest toward Larchmont Village. I also know people who rent up in the hills above Echo Park for that price range.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
you might find this useful in distinguishing where you say you want to live from where you are looking. if you want to be close to west hollywood (the city), look on the western end of hollywood, roughly between highland and fairfax/ sunset and melrose. (those parameters will capture bits of west hollywood as well.) one bedroom apartments there are right at the high end of your budget. i'm doubtful that $1400 will get you into a beach community, except perhaps in a studio in one of the sketchy neighborhoods, but i wouldn't count on that, either.

City of Los Angeles Map - Larger View

(the gray splotch above venice is santa monica.)

Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Thank you all for the advice. Now that I've seen that map it'll be much easier to search. Thanks again

Old 04-15-2008, 11:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
My advice....get a roommate. You can live in a nice area of Santa Monica by paying $1400 as your half of the rent.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 AM

I know, Calipoppy, but I've had several bad experiences with roomates and I am just not wild about the idea of living with someone again right now, I'd rather settle for a lesser place on my own. In response to the above answers, how "bad" is bad in downtown. I live in a suburb now and I'd really like to experience living in a metropolitan area, (i.e. Downtown) but if I was to move there would I have to worry about like getting mugged/drive bys/prostitutes/car jackings/drugs running rampant. Or is it simply a slightly "shabby" older area that is maybe not so nice/clean/some sketchy characters there. I guess what I am really asking is what are some areas on the west side that a s/w/f would be safe living in for 1400 a month or less?
Again thanks for the advice : )

Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
I know, Calipoppy, but I've had several bad experiences with roomates and I am just not wild about the idea of living with someone again right now, I'd rather settle for a lesser place on my own. In response to the above answers, how "bad" is bad in downtown. I live in a suburb now and I'd really like to experience living in a metropolitan area, (i.e. Downtown) but if I was to move there would I have to worry about like getting mugged/drive bys/prostitutes/car jackings/drugs running rampant. Or is it simply a slightly "shabby" older area that is maybe not so nice/clean/some sketchy characters there. I guess what I am really asking is what are some areas on the west side that a s/w/f would be safe living in for 1400 a month or less?
Again thanks for the advice : )
IMHO you really need to survey the terrain. Everyone has different levels of tolerance. I have a friend who rents in Echo Park, up in the hills AND in your price range, for example. It's a great place with incredible views.

I don't get out to the Westside often, largely because the traffic is hideous, at least from the Eastside/downtown area.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:02 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
If you want a more urban feel without the nastiness of Downtown, try the Miracle Mile district. You should be able to find a decent apartment with 1400. If you want the Westsdie you're looking at Brentwood or Westwood. But 1400 by yourself will be pushing it. Try craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events. It has a tendency to have lower priced apartments. Westside Rentals is a good resource if you don't mind spending $60 to get the listings. Please read my "warning" thread before using Craig's list.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks CESpeed! I did read your warning about craigslist, I actually have a friend who tried to rent a place from craigslist and he called like 5 numbers and they all were disconnected or whatever. I am almost considering paying the money to use westsiderentals they seem like they have more inventory and they make it easier to search different areas. I am making a trip out to LA for about 10 days in may, what areas should I look into? I'd like to hit up Santa Monica, Venice, West Hollywood and just the general westside area, but if anyone else has any suggestions...

Btw, I found quite a few listings in Koreatown and Los Feliz area? Are they decent areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles