Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Thanks for the tip on this. I'll definitely do that before committing. You're absolutely right on how neighborhoods can change from day to night.

I was thinking of that but I'm not sure if I want to be in the center of hollywood, it's not really my scene as i'm a bit older now and don't want the noise or living in the middle of super young people who might make noise all night. I need peace quiet when sleeping...

Hollywood and North Hollywood are two different places. Which are you looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 11:24 AM

252 posts, read 348,327 times
i haven't really looked yet but i was under the assumption that hollywood, north hollywood, west hollywood, were big spots for activities and i'm not really looking to be in the center of all that...

the office is right by an area called toluca lake? (which is nice) but of the areas i've driven past nearby, it looks like a little rough and i'm not liking it very much...not an area i'd see myself in.

I just didn't wanna be anywhere that's prone to major street closures, or big public events like parades and festivals or whatever...i was just assuming that "hollywood" in general was going to be an area to avoid. I'm probably wrong in that regard...but i just haven't had the chance to explore much yet...with the long commutes right now the last thing i want to do is drive around after i get off work when traffic is just all bad...

Old 07-12-2019, 11:37 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
i haven't really looked yet but i was under the assumption that hollywood, north hollywood, west hollywood, were big spots for activities and i'm not really looking to be in the center of all that...

the office is right by an area called toluca lake? (which is nice) but of the areas i've driven past nearby, it looks like a little rough and i'm not liking it very much...not an area i'd see myself in.

I just didn't wanna be anywhere that's prone to major street closures, or big public events like parades and festivals or whatever...i was just assuming that "hollywood" in general was going to be an area to avoid. I'm probably wrong in that regard...but i just haven't had the chance to explore much yet...with the long commutes right now the last thing i want to do is drive around after i get off work when traffic is just all bad...
North Hollywood is a separate "city" and is over the pass and in the San Fernando valley and Hollywood and West Hollywood are in a different location.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
Outside of the Arts District, North Hollywood is fairly unremarkable and fairly run down with the exception of the southern part of the area near Toluca Lake. North Hollywood is also nothing like Hollywood and West Hollywood. The name is a bit deceiving because it's not really close by.

I'd consider Sherman Oaks or Studio City if you can find a decent place within your range. I'd also look into nearby Burbank and Glendale. They are a little more low key but still plenty to do in terms of restaurants / bars / shops and close to areas with even more nightlife and other activities.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Why not live a couple of blocks away? Get up 20 minutes before you have to be at work. Walk to work. You can use Google Maps Traffic at Time and Day to see what traffic is like for any time you want based on historical data.
So twenty minutes to completely wake up, visit the bathroom, take a shower, get dressed, pick up something to eat, brush your teach, and then have time to walk to work. Do you think you can pull that off, and make it to work on time?

Old 07-13-2019, 10:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Hi OP, there are a lot of mostly dated really large homes in Valley Village and Valley Glen. Lots of those people rent out rooms in their homes. Expect $800-1200 a month as was pointed out earlier.

The metrolink makes zero sense as it’s not cheap and you’d still have to get from the station in Burbank to you job. Like wise with the Red Line.

Valley Village is adjacent to Toluca Lake. Valley Glen is adjacent to Valley Village.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Hi OP, there are a lot of mostly dated really large homes in Valley Village and Valley Glen. Lots of those people rent out rooms in their homes. Expect $800-1200 a month as was pointed out earlier.

The metrolink makes zero sense as it’s not cheap and you’d still have to get from the station in Burbank to you job. Like wise with the Red Line.

Valley Village is adjacent to Toluca Lake. Valley Glen is adjacent to Valley Village.
Thanks for the info!!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
I do.My alarm goes off at 5, straight to shower, dressed by 515, go downstairs throw a bunch of stuff in a bag for breakfast and lunch, out the door by 520. I do the other two Ss at work.
LOL'd @ at the other two S's...

Old 07-13-2019, 06:06 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Personally, I'd look at north Hollywood and not deal with a commute at all.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by See If This Works View Post
I do.My alarm goes off at 5, straight to shower, dressed by 515, go downstairs throw a bunch of stuff in a bag for breakfast and lunch, out the door by 520. I do the other two Ss at work.
So it still takes you 20 minutes before you leave the house. The post I was responding to mentioned waking up and getting to work 20 minutes later.

I don't know why anyone would want to be in a rush.

I get up at 5:00am, stretch for maybe 10 minutes, hit the bathroom and by 5:30 I am in the kitchen making breakfast. Check my emails while I am eating. Respond to any of those. Get the kids up by 7am if my wife is working. and by 7:10 I am out the door. Arrive at work between 7:25 to 7:30. Check any work emails, stop into City Data Forum, and then at 8:00am clock in for work. But that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles