Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

I've never driven the PCH and through the hills route so I won't comment on that. What's been said sounds reasonable to me.

One thing I'll caution you on. You might be attempted to take the San Diego Fwy. 405 to the Ventura Fwy. 101 and into your job that way. Don't! It would seem to be opposite of the heavy traffic, but that doesn't make it light traffic.

Calabasas driving into the Valley is heavily congested every evening and choked up all the way to the 101-405 junction. I've driven that way home from a temporary job and it was a bear! Traffic sometimes comes to a complete halt for a couple minutes. I'm not sure about morning but it can't be a picnic that way either. The 405 between Santa Monica and the Valley is far better going your direction but that wouldn't be saying much.

So if your commute is going to succeed it will be the PCH and hills route, not the 405-101 route.

Your PCH and hills route although long and with traffic might at least benefit by being in nice scenery. All that route would be a pleasure to gaze around at the ocean, beaches, hills and overlooking the Valley (Conejo or San Fernando). At least you'll have a pretty drive!

For a while I was commuting to SM from high up in the Hollywood Hills and drove Mulholland Drive every day, and it was sweet!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 11,192 times
Guys, thanks for all the replies . I tried driving from SM to Calabasas via PCH and felt it was pretty long .

Is Encino any better than Woodland Hills / Calabasas?

Can you guys suggest any other fun places? Thx again....

Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prad View Post
Guys, thanks for all the replies . I tried driving from SM to Calabasas via PCH and felt it was pretty long .

Is Encino any better than Woodland Hills / Calabasas?

Can you guys suggest any other fun places? Thx again....
What do you mean? Live in Encino and work in Calabasas? Live in SM and work in Encino? And fun places what? Fun to live in? Try to be a bit more definite in your questions and it'll be a lot easier to answer you.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,192 times
I meant live in Encino and work in Calabasas. By fun places I was referring to nice clubs /bars in and around Encino...

Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prad View Post
I meant live in Encino and work in Calabasas. By fun places I was referring to nice clubs /bars in and around Encino...
Okay, gotcha.

Your commute will probably have fairly heavy traffic particularly in the homeward direction, but Encino and Calabasas are not that far apart so if you don't mind the traffic it might be acceptable. Depending on where in each area perhaps 30-45 minutes.

I'm not a clubber so my information may not be that accurate, but I'd say a fair amount of clubs and bars along Ventura Blvd., all the way from Woodland Hills to Studio City, and after the traffic subsides a bit you can head over the hill to Westwood/SM or drive into Hollywood.

You might look into living in Woodland Hills, closer to work and I don't see any particular difference between living in WH and Encino as far as night life. In fact that pretty much goes for anywhere in the Valley, and WH is closer to your work. I'm guessing WH-Calabasas commute would be 20-30 minutes.

Note that the areas around Ventura Blvd. are more expensive. In fact we have "SOB" which is south of boulevard, and those addresses are really expensive. If you go farther north (Victory to Roscoe or Nordhoff) you'll find it more economical, and driving down to Ventura Blvd. is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles