Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 12:03 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
If you look carefully, there are some actual small studio apt. can be had for these prices. There are pockets of low prices in L.A. area since the supply of apartments are diverse and plenty in central and southern areas of L.A, especially older apt. Even Westside studios can be had for only $700 near Sepulvada Ave/Santa Monica Bl.
Thanks for this info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 06:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I haven't looked in those areas but i would be surprised if that is the case. Supply of apartment is extremely low compare to demand and many landlords are keeping the price being they can't raise above x% each year. I can't imagine apartment near SM/Sepulveda going below $2000
Gotta love this one:

Quote:
****All Rates are Priced by the BED when SHARING with 3 OTHERS in a 2 Bedroom Apartment . Please call for rates for By room or By Apartment****

Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You are assuming that many generation y are actually looking to buy. The fact is many are not interested in buying and they like their lifestyle of eating out. Regarding food being better at home, that all depends where you are eating out. If are comparing fast food with home cooked food i will agree with you. However there many good sit down restaurant that cook quality food. Even with my wife liking to cook, we still eat out 2-3 times a week as a family.
Some restaurants have OK food, but not the majority. There are 3 major food suppliers and each has multiple grades of food available and the lower ones get sold the most as good quality food costs more at a restaurant. Now if you don't mind paying $50.00 for your meal, then you probably will be OK. Unfortunately today most food is still not very good due to the GMO and all the garbage they treat the food and animals with.

Yes fast food is garbage, but for many it is all they can afford.

For those who do not want to buy, fine rent. However eating good food is far more important as medical issues related to diet are growing. Look at all the sugar being added to so many things including children's food. No wonder Diabetes is growing rapidly as problem.

To eat well you need a good income. If you make the effort to do so, good for you. My wife and I eat out a couple of times a week also, but are picky about where. Being careful what we buy is also a focus to avoid the junk that is on so many shelves. Living in CA makes it hard for many as the cost of rent/purchase and all the taxes and fees reduces the funds they have available to buy good food and in the long run a good diet is better for a good life, than just owning a house.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Okay, but "doesn't cook" is a choice. If you want to cook, you learn. I didn't come out of my mother's womb holding a skillet and a spatula. I learned.
LOL, you're right. But the reality is cooking for yourself (one person) is boring.

Applying makeup on your face is a choice too. You didn't not come out of your mother's womb with red lipstick and fake eyelashes.

Come to think of it, living in an apartment is boring. That's why apartment dwellers tend to go out, shopping, eating, socializing, and just come back to sleep. Apartment dwellers spend more money as part of their disposal income as result.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:17 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Gotta love this one:

It been popular in Europe to rent by bed for those need a bed overnight. I guess should not be surprised that it's happening here.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:20 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
LOL, you're right. But the reality is cooking for yourself (one person) is boring.

Applying makeup on your face is a choice too. You didn't not come out of your mother's womb with red lipstick and fake eyelashes.

Come to think of it, living in an apartment is boring. That's why apartment dwellers tend to go out, shopping, eating, socializing, and just come back to sleep. Apartment dwellers spend more money as part of their disposal income as result.
True

Except the poor.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
To eat well you need a good income. If you make the effort to do so, good for you. My wife and I eat out a couple of times a week also, but are picky about where. Being careful what we buy is also a focus to avoid the junk that is on so many shelves. Living in CA makes it hard for many as the cost of rent/purchase and all the taxes and fees reduces the funds they have available to buy good food and in the long run a good diet is better for a good life, than just owning a house.
I've thinking about what you wrote against my personal experience. I think you're right from a different perspective.

I own a single family home and has a backyard garden. I enjoy growing my own vegetables organically. Likewise, I have a grill. I can go to the market to buy a really good steak (ribeye) and grill it up to my liking. All these are good, healthy food but I would not be able to do this without owning a single family home.

If I had lived in an apartment, unless I have a balcony and the unit allows grilling, I would not be able to enjoy my steaks. A balcony still has a limited sun exposure so gardening is not ideal.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Intelligent people eat at home as the food is a better quality than most restaurants offer. Mind you most of our food is junk these days with the way it is grown or raised, just worse at most restaurants. People who can't cook, lazy, party types., etc eat out a lot and then grumble they can't afford a house.
of course you are right. For some to say, only people who can not afford to eat out, cook is one I have never heard before. I wonder what would make someone think or post something like that?

Old 07-31-2019, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
A lot of people seem to be confused about the food budget.

A normal sit down restaurant, you're going to spend $20 easy. Possibly more when you factor in tax and tips.

But let's just go with 20.

Eating at a restaurant once per day, that's already $620-700/mo.

"oh but cook at home"

are you kidding me? the whole point of living in a big city is the food scene. If you're cooking at home most days, what are you even doing here? move to North Dakota.
Sir, you have one of the strangest ideas on what eating is all about. No, one of the reasons for living in a big city means eating out even once a week, other than maybe lunch due to work schedule, is not a reason to live anywhere. You can combine the times you want something a little special or too tired to cook with the normal routine of cooking at home. This is the best of both worlds. You just are not getting it it seems.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:01 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
The only thing significantly more in LA is the rent. Its about $500 to 1000 more than many other large cities in the USA. That's it. Some cities are about the same rent or even more than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles