U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
11,404 posts, read 10,937,422 times
Reputation: 11610

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thanks for posting this.

Saw it last month on cable, really liked it. Really captured the time. Even the drive on Sunset, I am an old car buff and they were careful not to have cars in it made after 1969.
I thought they were extremely sloppy with the background in a number of scenes, such as this one:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 21,962,358 times
Reputation: 36085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I thought they were extremely sloppy with the background in a number of scenes, such as this one:
Are you talking about the signs or signals? The cars are all pre 1969, at least it looks that way to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2020, 11:44 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
11,404 posts, read 10,937,422 times
Reputation: 11610
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Are you talking about the signs or signals? The cars are all pre 1969, at least it looks that way to me.
The modern pedestrian signal, the modern bus stop, the MTA sign, the bus lanes, the 'SHARE THE ROAD' sign, the highly reflective bicycle sign, and the 'BUS ONLY' sign. And it's just as bad in the Westwood scenes. He should have just framed the shots differently, like they did in Ford v. Ferrari.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2020, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
4,852 posts, read 2,182,142 times
Reputation: 7897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The modern pedestrian signal, the modern bus stop, the MTA sign, the bus lanes, the 'SHARE THE ROAD' sign, the highly reflective bicycle sign, and the 'BUS ONLY' sign. And it's just as bad in the Westwood scenes. He should have just framed the shots differently, like they did in Ford v. Ferrari.
You must be in the business. The focal point is undoubtedly on the vehicles. I certainly wasn't watching it and trying to read perimeter road signs. :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles-Houston-DFW
2,119 posts, read 1,124,167 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Saw it on cable last night. A great movie. Probably my new favorite Tarantino movie and I haven't like his more recent efforts. To me it was like an homage to Hollywood, to the movie business, to the 1970's. And maybe an homage to Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski who were living the Hollywood dream. Great acting, beautifully shot, great music, really captured the LA and Hollywood of the time. Loved the Hollywood happy ending too. If only ... who can say what would have been.
Think I enjoyed it more for the ambiance at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome than the actual movie. Wasn't as good the second time around but I really enjoy that time period of LA. Same reason why I enjoyed the Netflix series 'Hollywood' that came out very recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2020, 09:24 PM
 
301 posts, read 72,863 times
Reputation: 674
I really enjoyed this movie. Without giving away spoilers, the ending was a good example of how a response to events can make all the difference in the world. For example, confronting the ill-behaved homeless drug addicts who defecate in front of your children, and holding criminals accountable rather than worry about PC BS would be much more helpful than enabling them, which is what we do here today.

Highlight the following text to reveal the SPOILER Brad's character wrote them off. He made them feel like the unimportant brainless idiots that they were. As a result, they were not murdered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2020, 12:06 PM
 
17,804 posts, read 21,962,358 times
Reputation: 36085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The modern pedestrian signal, the modern bus stop, the MTA sign, the bus lanes, the 'SHARE THE ROAD' sign, the highly reflective bicycle sign, and the 'BUS ONLY' sign. And it's just as bad in the Westwood scenes. He should have just framed the shots differently, like they did in Ford v. Ferrari.
That's what I thought you meant. I was looking at the cars. They did a great job on that.

And "Jackie Brown" is one of my favorites....."where you park the car Louis, is it this row, is it that row...LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
You must be in the business. The focal point is undoubtedly on the vehicles. I certainly wasn't watching it and trying to read perimeter road signs. :

Yes, that scene driving to Westwood I was impressed that they were all 1969 or older. Thought it was a great film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 01:26 AM
 
5,239 posts, read 5,558,114 times
Reputation: 2535
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Saw it on cable last night. A great movie. Probably my new favorite Tarantino movie and I haven't like his more recent efforts. To me it was like an homage to Hollywood, to the movie business, to the 1970's. And maybe an homage to Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski who were living the Hollywood dream. Great acting, beautifully shot, great music, really captured the LA and Hollywood of the time. Loved the Hollywood happy ending too. If only ... who can say what would have been.
Well said, I agree!

All the main actors were so likable, lovable. Seems there are so few people like them anymore. This was the LA the whole world fell in love with.

Sharon Tate was a bright bright star snubbed out in her youth along with here baby. She deserved this movie. What a great, great ending. Good triumphs over Evil.

Isn't it ironic that Tarantino's favorite genre, Asian action films, beat him in winning the Oscar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,878 posts, read 10,186,791 times
Reputation: 1623
Woke up lot of memories of my own 1970s LA teenage years—93 KHJ, Don Steele, Van Nuys Drive-in, thumbing rides, Chatsworth, RTD, flipping off the LAPD. It was a time and place brought back to life for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2020, 07:09 AM
 
Location: So Ca
18,431 posts, read 16,961,855 times
Reputation: 16093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sharon Tate was a bright bright star snubbed out in her youth along with here baby. She deserved this movie. What a great, great ending. Good triumphs over Evil.
Glad to hear that Debra Tate approved of this film, after she met with Tarantino. She's now the only surviving member of the immediate Tate family.

https://www.bustle.com/p/what-does-s...n-out-18226104
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top