Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Wrong again.
So you're telling me if you see vehicle violate the law, you lose sight of the vehicle for a minute and then you see it again you legally can pull it over even though you don't know if it same driver driving? Judge will laugh you of the court if your dash camera is subpoenaed and shows what I just described
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 08:36 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
I spent 40 years on the LAPD and I am also an attorney and I can assure you that you are still wrong. Now, if the officer was in pursuit, lost sight of the vehicle, and broke the pursuit off, then you are correct.

When I worked traffic enforcement, I could be in a stationary position, tag a speeding vehicle with radar, and radio to another unit located further up the road the vehicle's description. That officer would perform the traffic stop and cite the driver. If it resulted in a court case, both officers had to appear. We never lost a case.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I spent 40 years on the LAPD and I am also an attorney and I can assure you that you are still wrong. Now, if the officer was in pursuit, lost sight of the vehicle, and broke the pursuit off, then you are correct.

When I worked traffic enforcement, I could be in a stationary position, tag a speeding vehicle with radar, and radio to another unit located further up the road the vehicle's description. That officer would perform the traffic stop and cite the driver. If it resulted in a court case, both officers had to appear. We never lost a case.
What you telling me goes totally against what I was taught by lapd watch commander alfred Hutchinson (member of blue ribbon commission) that taught AJ classes at LAVC. I been taught that an officer must have visual on vehicle at all time until stop of vehicle is made. You're basically saying the opposite and not explaining how you will be able to prove to the judge who was behind wheel of a vehicle if you lost sight of that vehicle

Last edited by looker009; 08-23-2019 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 09:55 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
What you telling me goes totally against what I was taught by lapd watch commander alfred Hutchinson (member of blue ribbon commission) that taught AJ classes at LAVC. I been taught that an officer must have visual on vehicle at all time until stop of vehicle is made. You're basically saying the opposite and not explaining how you will be able to prove to the judge who was behind wheel of a vehicle if you lost sight of that vehicle
This is not a black and white issue. There is a gray area to consider. The time factor would be the issue that would be considered the wobbler in a court of law. To to give a blanket statement that losing a visual, even for a second, would make the cite invalid, is grossly incorrect.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
This is not a black and white issue. There is a gray area to consider. The time factor would be the issue that would be considered the wobbler in a court of law. To to give a blanket statement that losing a visual, even for a second, would make the cite invalid, is grossly incorrect.
I am not arguing that losing visual on vehicle for few seconds will invalidate a ticket. However what I am saying that even few minutes might be enough time especially if it to happen on public street or freeway at high rate of speed. I agree with you that there is gray area which is hard to define

Old 08-25-2019, 05:40 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
I guess the police may gun down a driver who tries to kill people walking on the closed part of a highway instead of issuing a citation.
Not really sure what question you're answering here, but it's not the one I asked...

Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 AM

2,512 posts, read 1,297,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Not really sure what question you're answering here, but it's not the one I asked...
So, what will happen in a case like the one I described?

A Greyhound bus broke down on the 5 and the passengers are moving on foot from one bus to another.
Then a "smart" driver decides that a road block is not for her and just drives in the direction of 50 passengers walking on the freeway.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:11 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
So, what will happen in a case like the one I described?
I don't care and I'm not sure why you're asking me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles