Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 01:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times

Advertisements

You're about 50 years behind the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 02:17 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
I see the 'typical' California girl in 2019 as growing up in the burbs of OC or Temecula and being mixed, half Caucasian and half Asian /Hispanic. She also attends Cal State Fullerton.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:07 PM

61 posts, read 38,266 times
"California Girl" to me has always meant that she free-spirited, upbeat, fun, sociable, deceptively intelligent, attractive, adventurous, and open-minded. It used to refer just to white women who hang out at the beach, but not any longer.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:45 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Someone with a head on her shoulders, not afraid to speak her mind, tender and loving to her better half when she has one and kind to her pet(s). Drives a Corolla and enjoys Snickers bars.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:00 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I saw a super good looking about 15 year old in shorts rolling down the street on a skateboard with a cell phone to her ear.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
The quintessential Beach Boys "California Girl" was young, slender, white (but tanned), blonde, cheerful, and athletic (loves the beach).

Of course, most California women don't fit that mold.
This is it. It pretty much referred to SoCal girls at the time. The original "Gidget" had brown hair and was short, though. but she loved surfing.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,127,442 times
She spends a whole lotta time meditating about her next bout of self-medicating?

Old 12-19-2019, 07:03 PM

252 posts, read 348,327 times
like, ooooo my god! Totally!!!

Old 12-21-2019, 09:46 AM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Having been born and raised in Southern California - we lived just a hop- skip from the ocean well actually...about a 1/2 mile or so (we walked to the beach) I have always considered myself the "original California Gal" - One difference - do not have a lot of wrinkles from being in the sun and I lived at the beach as a teen only. I soon realized the sun was not so good for us so that was that. I still drive with my music blasting - moon roof opened up and my hair is a blondish color. I drive down to the Esplanade in Redondo Beach and love to watch the ocean - surfers to this day. Our family knew the Hakman's - If you know anything about surfing Jeff Hakman was one of the top surfers over in Hawaii. The family moved over there from Palos Verdes when he was a teen. He and friend started Quiksilver. Our father's worked together and scuba dived off Palos Verdes.

I think people have this vision of us - we wore bikinis that is true but I would not say we were all totally bronze...Being European I burned terribly so you had to be careful. My era was the Beach Boys...We loved the surfers- dated only surfers. lol

Not sure how many of us are left here in California but I have not left. The Beach Boys grew up not far from where we live today. I will always be a California Girl. Not about money - prestige yada yada yada or lot's of Plastic Surgeries as I have not had any nor have my friends who still live here. We are ordinary people who grew up with the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean sound - Dick Dale and that's about it.

Been married for 33 yrs and my husband is 8 yrs younger then me. It's how you carry yourself - morals- values - integrity and kindness. Yes I know, times have changed. Much different out there which is a shame. Be yourself!

Old 12-25-2019, 02:16 PM

270 posts, read 210,869 times
Visitors who visited my friends and family told me all the time that we are not the typical CA people. Like we are not stylist, fashionable, we don't wear make up, hair not colored, we wear jean and comfortable clothing to the beach instead of swim wear. Instead, we are humble and down to earth people. CA is diverse and that's why I love CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles