Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 08:28 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,392,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
. Valley in the summer is very hot 100 average temp and it can hit as high 120 when we have extreme heat wave. In the winter it can get chilly especially at night and get as low as 28f.
Either you are talking about the Coachella Valley or you are a troll.

There is nowhere in the San Fernando Valley where the average high is 100 (F). Burbank average high in summer is high 80's while Woodland Hills (hottest part of the SFV) ranges from 92 to 96 (F).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burban...fornia#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodla...ngeles#Climate

Winter lows average in the high 30's to low 40's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 09:03 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The coolness at night is what makes it so good. Out East the summer nights are warm and damp, need AC if you don't want to wake up bathed in sweat. In California an open window is all the AC you need.
Summer nights are like the rest of the Summer here in the east. Un F*cking bearable.

I cycle to get around, and summers are just ungodly. I can take, and deal with Winter, but summer......

And it won't let up. 90 Degrees Monday, and I am in Baltimore County. It can easily be as hot and humid here as anywhere in the deep south.

So enjoy the weather out there. (It has been nice the last few days around here)

My favorite time of year is coming though. Fall....ahhhh

Last edited by Digger 68; 09-21-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 09-21-2019, 01:34 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,392,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Summer nights are like the rest of the Summer here in the east. Un F*cking bearable.

I cycle to get around, and summers are just ungodly. I can take, and deal with Winter, but summer......

And it won't let up. 90 Degrees Monday, and I am in Baltimore County. It can easily be as hot and humid here as anywhere in the deep south.

So enjoy the weather out there. (It has been nice the last few days around here)

My favorite time of year is coming though. Fall....ahhhh
Agreed with the bolded above.

I grew up in LA County but lived in the NYC and Wash, DC areas in the late 90's/early 2000's. When east coast friends would say to me: "You must hate the winters here?" I would reply: "Actually, it is the summers I can't stand!"

That isn't a ringing endorsement of east coast winters...I much prefer LA winters to NYC or DC winters. But those humid summers are horrible.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
I live a few blocks from the beach. When I first moved here I would freeze, but once I got accustomed to the cooler weather... it’s quite pleasant. I can walk around most of the year in shorts and a light sweater. We have some cold days, but they’re more the exception than the rule.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I live a few blocks from the beach. When I first moved here I would freeze, but once I got accustomed to the cooler weather... it’s quite pleasant. I can walk around most of the year in shorts and a light sweater. We have some cold days, but they’re more the exception than the rule.
That is perfect weather. Shorts, shoes/sandals, and a light jacket. I was like that Thursday around here early.

Late afternoon it got hot though. It was much hotter today. The humidity has finally died off, and the sun angle has dropped a bit.

One thing, you get closer to Appalachia it cools off a whole lot. The panhandle of Maryland in the summer isn't hot, like much of Appalachia, but you will freeze your beans off in the winter out there. Bet it was in the 30's out there the other night.

Nothing beats a sweater on the beach. Believe it or not folks I have been on the Maryland shore, and been chilly in August.

Winter Whiners are the typical fat a** american, or old, and not active. If you move your a** you won't get cold. Deep snow, or super cold weather is the only thing that gets me off the bike.

Okay, I have had my anti summer rant. Enjoy the weather.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
Folks complain about the weather year round here, too. The Greater Montreal area gets very hot and humid June thru August. Spring and Fall are cool and beautiful, Winter sets in early November and lasts til mid March. Some of the biggest surprise snowstorms happen in March just when you start believing the nasty cold and wet Winter is over. January and February are insanely cold.

The one thing about summer here is that people sure do take advantage of it.
Summer is absolutely gorgeous here. I love the four seasons but I do admit that simple things like 4 minutes filling up at a self serve can be excruciating in mid January when it is a windy minus 20°.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:44 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Same here. By the beach, the weather really is comfortable year-round.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:13 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It can range from heaven to hell depending exactly where you are in the LA area.
Yeah, it's all relative.. to location & subjective taste. But Santa Clarita area can get Hellish hot. Like some other posters have noted, the low humidity is nice tho (especially compared to the Southeast).

Generally I'd describe LA weather as pleasant (lots of clear, sunny days, etc), but boring/monotonous. Few thunderstorms, not much seasonal variety.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:52 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
It’s overrated honestly. Great most days, but gets too chilly at night no matter what tone of year. The coasts are often cloudy and cool.
Are you serious? That sounds great. In Texas it's hot at night in the summer, so you have to constantly run AC

Old 09-23-2019, 02:21 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Are you serious? That sounds great. In Texas it's hot at night in the summer, so you have to constantly run AC
It was hot enough here to run the AC at night for about 5 or 6 days this summer. But to illustrate average weather in September, I think my kitchen window has been open for the past 2 or 3 weeks 24 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles