Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 05:06 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I have to fly into LA every time I come home on leave from Japan to get to the East Coast...... I Love LA with all my heart, but absolutely detest LAX
I am an LA native and LAX is pretty awful.

The centralized rental car center and people mover will improve things once they are finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 05:13 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
No, that isn't true. Accessibility is a key issue in planning and designing new airports, that is what designers do. You shouldn't comment on urban planning being totally ignorant on these issues.
You must be from overseas. There is little to no centralized planning like that in the USA and certainly not in California where home rule has always been very strong. The airport authority only controls airport property.

LAX isn't a "new" airport. It was designed and opened decades ago. While I agree LAX has major issues, there are billions of improvements underway. But you have certainly failed urban planning 101...

Old 10-03-2019, 09:13 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Heading to LAX for trips in November and December, 12 days and 15 days respectively.
Your title is misleading. LAX is a really nice connection through the new Tom Bradley International terminal. You should see the underground cattle trough visitors transiting JFK go through; it's a national embarrassment. Also, LAX has great connectivity to the rest of the world, with very cheap flights.

Getting to flights originating at LAX does kind of suck, but that's mostly because the airport is hemmed in by a congested city.

Because I get a deal through my work, I can get 4 people from the OC to LAX for $50 + gas by renting a car one-way to LAX. You might want to look into this option, especially if you work for a company that offers discounted car rental rates. It's $75 for a return one-way trip home, due to Airport concession fees, but the total $125 cost (+gas) is pretty cheap for having the freedom to get to LAX quick and then home again quick without having to wait for a bus, train, or shell out for a shared-ride van or Uber.

I'm not super-excited by the new people-movers being built. The problem with getting to LAX is getting TO LAX, not getting around INSIDE of the complex. The terminal IS busy, at times, and does need to ban private automobiles in the loop during crunch times, but most of the delay is inbound/outbound on the LA freeways.

A dedicated subway line from Union Station, or at least a stop INSIDE the airport would be better. The JFK-like kludge of adding a people mover (there's already a bus!) to the existing subway stop is sucky.

Old 10-03-2019, 10:08 AM

1,203 posts, read 666,286 times
Quote:
No, that isn't true. Accessibility is a key issue in planning and designing new airports, that is what designers do. You shouldn't comment on urban planning being totally ignorant on these issues.
Dang bro. You seem to be getting wrecked.

I think I agree with the other poster and must assume you're just a foreigner who has no clue how things actually work in a municipality of California.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:33 PM

567 posts, read 430,718 times
Quote:
Heading to LAX for trips in November and December, 12 days and 15 days respectively. Trying to see what my best options are to get from Orange County to LAX. Shared shuttles are quoting me $95, so with tip around $105 total. I found a cheap place to park but even so that's costing me $85 + gas so around $100 for the first trip in November. Not quite sure about the 2nd trip, I may have to end up spending $110 or so to park at this same "cheapest" spot (I have parked there before, not great but not too bad as well).

Here is my rant though - I have been to 65 countries and NEVER have I spent this kind money getting to/from the airport...NOT EVEN CLOSE!!! This is plain retarded to have to spend $100 to just get to the airport and back. If I take public transport (Metrolink + Flyaway bus from Union Station) that takes 3.5 hours which is equally ridiculous.

Previously I used to take shuttle2LAX for $25 each way, so $50 with tip RT which was great. But looks like they have changed their business model now and doubled their prices.

In London, I usually hop on the Picadilly line and i'm in central London in about 40 mins and 6 pounds lighter ($8). NYC and Chicago are both very well connected as well. I was in NYC earlier this year and it was so easy and inexpensive to just get from JFK to my hotel and that too at 11:30pm on the Subway.

LA is just horrible.
I never drive to LAX, it's too much of a hassle. I live 26 miles from LAX and always use the LAX FlyAway Bus. I catch it at the Van Nuys Station. $9.95 each way. There are also FlyAway Stations at Long Beach Airport, Union Station and Hollywood.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
I have flown in and out of LAX many times, both internationally and within the US. Never had any real problems and drove to the airport many times when living in SoCal. The biggest headache is the freeway congestion. For early flights I went to a motel near the airport the day before and actually parked my car at the airport and took a shuttle to the motel and then to the airport. Cost was no big deal and no rush in traffic, etc. The airport was always easy to be in for flights. Biggest headache was the drive there and home. Mind you when I could, I would fly out of Long Beach airport and when in the IE from Ontario. LAX was then only for International flights most of the time.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:30 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
And LAX is accessible... to Los Angeles. The Flyaway bus gets downtown in about 45 mins. It's not the airport's fault you want to get there from the OC. Guess what? If you want to get to some suburb of London or Paris that's 40 miles from the airport, and not just downtown, it's going to take you 2-3 hours by public transport as well.

Or try getting to Joliet, IL from O'Hare by public transit, which is about the same distance as Irvine to LAX. It's going to take you just as long. The problem is you are trying to get from a distant suburb to the airport, and just as in any other city, the transit is focused on getting people from the airport to the center of the city.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:51 PM

136 posts, read 123,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
LA is no world class you should know that by now. It's pockets of paradise surrounded by 3rd world slums
True. I still love it here thou. But I hate LAX. Hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles