Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2019, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 46,937 times

Advertisements

For now, I'll keep the names out of this but wanted to get some feedback here. Sorry for the long post...

A few weeks ago my partner and I found an amazing rate for a 1 bed on a high floor in a DTLA luxury highrise. The price was roughly $800 less than the usual market rate. The only reason I know that is because we have been comparing prices, locations, and amenities over the last 2 months preparing for a move. There's a spreadsheet and everything. We're data nerds I guess...

So, we immediately toured the space (that particular unit wasn't yet available), applied for it and got approved for an 11/1 move in. The leasing agent said that he knew this unit would lease in 1 day because it was priced to move. We were happy to find a great deal. They sent over the welcome letter & we signed it. The management company signed it and sent it back to us. Everything was good, we thought. We emailed the leasing agent thanking him for his help. We asked if it was safe to let our backup option go. We had another deposit in at another unit in case we ran into trouble. He assured us via email that we could close out other options and look forward to our move-in. So we took steps to get our deposit back from the backup option and focus on our move-in day.

Last Saturday, we called the building about some logistics questions as we plan our move and we were told by the same leasing agent that the unit actually isn't going to be available because the tenants are staying. He let us know that we could find another (smaller, more expensive and lower floor) option in the building or get our security deposit back and find another property to lease from. We thought that this was in really bad taste to leave us hanging like that but realized our clock is ticking so we decided to look elsewhere, with this building as our backup option now.

Today, I look back at their website and the same unit that had a low price (where the resident is supposedly not moving out of) is listed on the market again at the same price. I email the leasing agent and he says it's a glitch in the system that he'll have to fix but the unit isn't available.

Something doesn't feel right here but maybe I'm reaching and should just forget about it and lease elsewhere. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 12:52 PM

426 posts, read 353,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandhate View Post
For now, I'll keep the names out of this but wanted to get some feedback here. Sorry for the long post...

A few weeks ago my partner and I found an amazing rate for a 1 bed on a high floor in a DTLA luxury highrise. The price was roughly $800 less than the usual market rate. The only reason I know that is because we have been comparing prices, locations, and amenities over the last 2 months preparing for a move. There's a spreadsheet and everything. We're data nerds I guess...

So, we immediately toured the space (that particular unit wasn't yet available), applied for it and got approved for an 11/1 move in. The leasing agent said that he knew this unit would lease in 1 day because it was priced to move. We were happy to find a great deal. They sent over the welcome letter & we signed it. The management company signed it and sent it back to us. Everything was good, we thought. We emailed the leasing agent thanking him for his help. We asked if it was safe to let our backup option go. We had another deposit in at another unit in case we ran into trouble. He assured us via email that we could close out other options and look forward to our move-in. So we took steps to get our deposit back from the backup option and focus on our move-in day.

Last Saturday, we called the building about some logistics questions as we plan our move and we were told by the same leasing agent that the unit actually isn't going to be available because the tenants are staying. He let us know that we could find another (smaller, more expensive and lower floor) option in the building or get our security deposit back and find another property to lease from. We thought that this was in really bad taste to leave us hanging like that but realized our clock is ticking so we decided to look elsewhere, with this building as our backup option now.

Today, I look back at their website and the same unit that had a low price (where the resident is supposedly not moving out of) is listed on the market again at the same price. I email the leasing agent and he says it's a glitch in the system that he'll have to fix but the unit isn't available.

Something doesn't feel right here but maybe I'm reaching and should just forget about it and lease elsewhere. Thoughts?
You have three options in this situation.

1) See if you can convince the leasing agent / apartment management to be reasonable and let you get the same good deal on the other unit that's available.
2) Get your security deposit back and tell this apartment to pound sand and go look somewhere else.
3) Lawyer up. If you have a fully executed lease and a security deposit has been cashed by the property management company they have to perform according to that lease. If they can't/won't perform, you can sue them for breach of contract, damages, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Judges will look favorably on tenants because the management company are professionals and they should know the rules/laws.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:01 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
If Larry Silverstein owns the building and takes out an extra insurance policy...RUN!

Old 10-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
You have three options in this situation.

1) See if you can convince the leasing agent / apartment management to be reasonable and let you get the same good deal on the other unit that's available.
2) Get your security deposit back and tell this apartment to pound sand and go look somewhere else.
3) Lawyer up. If you have a fully executed lease and a security deposit has been cashed by the property management company they have to perform according to that lease. If they can't/won't perform, you can sue them for breach of contract, damages, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Judges will look favorably on tenants because the management company are professionals and they should know the rules/laws.
We (and management co.) signed the welcome letter, not the lease. So, technically I think they have the right to not follow through. May at least inquire w/ an atty to understand our options better.

For now, #2 is probably gonna be the option.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
I am not an attorney, but sounds like bait n switch. At minimum I would write a review and put on all major outlets describing "your" experience. You might be contacted by others that have been treated similarly. If so, then you have a case.

Lots of sleazy landlords out there

Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 PM

202 posts, read 429,360 times
just cut your losses and go elsewhere...why waste any more time on this venture with how unprofessional and disorganized they are acting especially reneging on a deal. Get a refund and make an honest review on their page and find a better place to live. I wouldnt trust them any further at this point.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:52 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I am not an attorney, but sounds like bait n switch. At minimum I would write a review and put on all major outlets describing "your" experience. You might be contacted by others that have been treated similarly. If so, then you have a case.

Lots of sleazy landlords out there
Sounds like that to me, too. And being downtown I'm not surprised. In an effort to make downtown an "It" neighborhood, they've over-inflated rents to the hilt but people aren't biting like they need them to.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
just cut your losses and go elsewhere...why waste any more time on this venture with how unprofessional and disorganized they are acting especially reneging on a deal. Get a refund and make an honest review on their page and find a better place to live. I wouldnt trust them any further at this point.
I had my buddy email them about the same apartment and they said it's available. He's gonna tour it tomorrow.

So, this is bait & switch at best & rental discrimination at worse. I'll know in roughly 24 hrs. Sucks overall & no, I won't just cut my losses & let it go. I'll find a new place & then lawyer up so that this doesn't happen to the next renter.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 667,985 times
Quote:
I had my buddy email them about the same apartment and they said it's available. He's gonna tour it tomorrow.

So, this is bait & switch at best & rental discrimination at worse. I'll know in roughly 24 hrs. Sucks overall & no, I won't just cut my losses & let it go. I'll find a new place & then lawyer up so that this doesn't happen to the next renter.
Regardless of how this turns out for you, I will just say that if you actually submitted any money to them without having a signed lease in place that's a pretty dumb life move. In the future, please don't do that.

However, if they actually cashed your check then I would say you do have a pretty strong case if you eventually do lawyer up because this shows they accepted a verbal contract as money was exchanged.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:25 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
Quote:

If they raise the rent for him, then you know why they didn't follow through with you.

If the rent is the same, it sounds like you have a pretty strong discrimination case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles