Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 04:54 AM

13 posts, read 61,283 times

Advertisements

How is the job market in Los Angeles now and in August?? Is it really bad?? And how does the job market in Los Angeles compares to Phoenix's job market?? Which city is easier to find jobs and have more jobs?? Also, which city is easier to find jobs if you don't drive...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,885 times
Los Angeles is easier to find jobs, more people means more jobs. The commute is the thing here, make sure you work close to your job. I don't know much about Phoenix's traffic. What kind of job are you looking for? Different fields have more jobs than others at different times of the year. Be more specific and I can help. The best thing is to find a job agency who can locate you a job.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 PM

23 posts, read 48,275 times
Which job industry are you referring to in particular? Yes, the job market in Los Angeles is the greatest when it comes to a lot of west coast/sunbelt cities, but certain industries in certain cities may cater more to what you're looking for.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 PM

15 posts, read 68,203 times
The traffic in L.A. is horrid, so if you're planning on moving from Phoenix to L.A., I suggest looking for a job as close to home as possible. The traffic in Phoenix is not bad at all compared to the "parking lot" out there.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaxg View Post
And how does the job market in Los Angeles compares to Phoenix's job market?? Which city is easier to find jobs and have more jobs?? Also, which city is easier to find jobs if you don't drive...?
I'll take my chances in L.A. on all counts. Bigger city, far more diverse economy, and a vastly superior public transportation and bicycle-friendly environment. You might find a block or two in L.A. that's like Phoenix. Thank God most of L.A. is nothing like Phoenix.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 AM

267 posts, read 885,461 times
I lived my entire life in Los Angeles and am now living in Phoenix as of a month ago.

In general, the job market is better in Los Angeles because yes, it is a much bigger city which means more people and more jobs. That does, however, also mean there is more competition. It really does depend on what industry you are going in to. If you are say going into the medical field, Phoenix might be a better bet. If you are going into entertainment, Los Angeles would beat Phoenix any day.

Both are very spread out cities so neither are great for finding a job without a car. Also, neither city has great public transportation compared to other cities in the US. The big thing is Los Angeles has MUCH more traffic than Phoenix, so in L.A. you would want to live close to where you work. The areas in L.A. with the most and best jobs tend to also be some of the most expensive areas to live in the city.

Phoenix is a decent sized city but is much more reasonably priced to live in. Most people could probably afford to live close to wherever they work in this city so public transportation or even walking might be more feasible.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
I lived my entire life in Los Angeles and am now living in Phoenix as of a month ago.

In general, the job market is better in Los Angeles because yes, it is a much bigger city which means more people and more jobs. That does, however, also mean there is more competition. It really does depend on what industry you are going in to. If you are say going into the medical field, Phoenix might be a better bet. If you are going into entertainment, Los Angeles would beat Phoenix any day.

Both are very spread out cities so neither are great for finding a job without a car. Also, neither city has great public transportation compared to other cities in the US. The big thing is Los Angeles has MUCH more traffic than Phoenix, so in L.A. you would want to live close to where you work. The areas in L.A. with the most and best jobs tend to also be some of the most expensive areas to live in the city.

Phoenix is a decent sized city but is much more reasonably priced to live in. Most people could probably afford to live close to wherever they work in this city so public transportation or even walking might be more feasible.
This just about sums it up for the LA job market and rental conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: