Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has already been asked & answered...

When someone rings your doorbell or knocks unexpectedly, do you usually answer? I'm asking because I sometimes do and sometimes don't. Either way, I definitely don't appreciate these unexpected arrivals!

Example: Daytime, I'm dressed (presentable), and I'm not in the middle of something -- I usually answer the door because I figure it's reasonably safe and probably a legit reason. Although you never know, right? After dark...I almost never answer. Like just a few minutes ago (8pm and dark outside), we got a ring, and I just ignored it. (My husband would've answered, but he was "indisposed". ) I find the after dark ones especially rude and annoying.

I always feel a bit like an idiot *hiding out* when someone's on my front porch knocking or ringing, especially when it's obvious someone is at home. And what if it's an immediate neighbor wanting/needing something (I would hope they'd call out if it were a real emergency, but who knows?).

We recently posted a polite plaque above our doorbell that reads, "NO Soliciting, Fundraising, Politics, Salesmen, Religion. Thank you!" It has helped, but we have had a couple people ignore it (like tonight). One young guy had the nerve to chuckle and tell my husband, "Yeah, uh, I saw your sign, but, uh, I'm just tryin' to do my job, ya know?" (He was a realtor whom we would never consider hiring because of that.)

We don't have a Ring doorbell or similar security system. I don't feel that's really necessary; I just don't think uninvited "guests" should ring or knock and expect an answer. What do you think and how do you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
No, I do not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hv0M4mnrE8

Old 10-29-2019, 10:13 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I usually do, because so often it's someone I would want to see, like my neighbor letting me know she'll be gone for a week, so can I keep an eye on her place, or one of the kids on the street wanting my son to come over. Or, like yesterday, a man who had found a dog heading for the busy street, which turned out to be my neighbor's dog (and they weren't home).

However, if I see from an upstairs window that a realtor/sales person is making the rounds, I don't answer.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:25 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
I look out the window, if it's not someone I know or the UPS guy I'm not answering the door.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Nope, never. And now that we have a Ring, I can just address them from my phone if needed.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:03 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Other than on Halloween, no one ever knocks on my door.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Other than on Halloween, no one ever knocks on my door.
Rarely do we get unexpected guests but if we do, we always check to see who it is before opening the door and we live in an extremely safe city. If we are in the office we can see who is coming up the walk and if we are anywhere in the kitchen or dining room we can glance out the window pretty easily.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
I have a house where I can easily see who's at the door. So yes.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:33 PM

392 posts, read 1,092,637 times
We live in a secured apartment building now and up until now we've not had anyone knocking on the door unexpectedly - but when we lived in the ex-house, if there was knock or a ring, I would always first look through the peephole and scope it out and then run upstairs and talk to them through the window.

We had heard that intruders will ring doorbells in the middle of the day (or night) to see if anyone is home before attempting to enter - and if nobody answered, it would seem like fair game to them - or a safer option for them to take a chance on entering and not getting caught at least.

I wouldn't open the door if I was home alone to anyone unexpected. And something about NOT answering / talking to them through the upstairs window and indicating that someone was home made it seem more dangerous.

Edited to add, we only knew two of our immediate neighbors (the ones on either side) - I would open for them in a heartbeat even if it was unexpected.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:39 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Not much . Rarely .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles