Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,436 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I drive a taxi in Tampa. FL. I've always wanted to move to LA, I've been there a few times. The second biggest city in the US, there's bound to be some cab business there. If we get cab business in this dead town then I'm sure you all do.

I don't know how it is there, but here the cab companies lease out their cabs. They're basically in the car rental business. So as long as your record is clean it's pretty easy to get hired.

My main thing obviously is, I've go to learn the city. It's hard to do when you don't live there. About all I can do for now is study maps and memorize the major streets and freeways. I could go out there and get a **** job to hold me over while I learn the streets. But I'd rather be able to get in a cab right away, knowing enough to at least get started and make a few bucks. That's kind of how I went about it here. As I got more familiar with the neighborhoods I started venturing out and making more money. Not to mention if I get a take home cab out there, I don't even have to own a car of my own.

This could be such an adventure. Can you imagine the freaks and weirdos you'd pick up in Hollywood at 4 in the morning? Transsexuals, you name it. At least they have those safety partitions out there, we don't even have those here.

What do you all think about my idea? And how should I go about the whole thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
Yellow Cab is the major company.
888-529-3556
562-435-6111

I'm sure they can give you information.

Good luck !!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I don't take taxis ver yoften, but when I do, I normally end up giving the cab driver directions to where I'm going. I guess the most important thing to know is how to get to the airport without getting caught in traffic. It might be a good idea to do what you did, get a map a drive around.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:02 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
invest in gps or something. or at least a phone that has a web browser.

when im in unfamiliar areas, i use my sidekick to use mapquest or yahoo maps to find a route(even if its not the best one).

Old 04-20-2008, 05:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
GPS systems are so new I keep forgetting about them. Of course, I'm also a person who was still buying vinyl in the mid 90's . Not the fastest techie in the world.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Cali Matt...I really admire your desire to break free and chase your dreams in LA but I have a major suggestion for you. If you are going to start a transportation business, I would go with a limo service over a taxi service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_matt View Post
Hi,

I drive a taxi in Tampa. FL. I've always wanted to move to LA, I've been there a few times. The second biggest city in the US, there's bound to be some cab business there. If we get cab business in this dead town then I'm sure you all do.

I don't know how it is there, but here the cab companies lease out their cabs. They're basically in the car rental business. So as long as your record is clean it's pretty easy to get hired.

My main thing obviously is, I've go to learn the city. It's hard to do when you don't live there. About all I can do for now is study maps and memorize the major streets and freeways. I could go out there and get a **** job to hold me over while I learn the streets. But I'd rather be able to get in a cab right away, knowing enough to at least get started and make a few bucks. That's kind of how I went about it here. As I got more familiar with the neighborhoods I started venturing out and making more money. Not to mention if I get a take home cab out there, I don't even have to own a car of my own.

This could be such an adventure. Can you imagine the freaks and weirdos you'd pick up in Hollywood at 4 in the morning? Transsexuals, you name it. At least they have those safety partitions out there, we don't even have those here.

What do you all think about my idea? And how should I go about the whole thing?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:48 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
GPS would definately be the way to go. You can watch Collateral for a LA taxi cab primer

Old 04-21-2008, 05:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Cali Matt...I really admire your desire to break free and chase your dreams in LA but I have a major suggestion for you. If you are going to start a transportation business, I would go with a limo service over a taxi service.
I agree with the limo service idea. You can make a salary off the tips alone! Think about all the tourists wanting to cruise Sunset in a limo.

A friend of mine was a driver in Las Vegas. Now that guy has some crazy stories to tell.

Plus you wouldnt be going to so many random locations. Im sure you already have a cab though. But its something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles