Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2019, 05:13 PM

13,574 posts, read 15,546,151 times

Advertisements

I'm halfway through watching Once Upon a Time Ago in Hollywood. Now then, I know that almost no period piece is without its anachronisms -- there are people who even nitpick very well done shows such as Downton Abbey. However, there's just way too much stuff in Once Upon[...] to not notice it and wonder why Tarantino couldn't have been a little more thorough, especially since this film was touted as realistically transforming parts of L.A. to the way they looked in the 60's. In just the part where Sharon Tate goes to Westwood Villlage to watch herself in a movie, you can't help but notice the modern looking 'BUS ONLY' signs on Wilshire, and even a modern looking sheltered bus stop with an MTA logo on it. Then, in Westwood Village, in the background can be seen a very modern looking LED light on a light post, modern looking storefront signs such as the one for 'Campus Cleaners', a modern blue street name sign, and other stuff. It's weird because it's a comical patchwork quilt of stuff from two different eras, and it's fairly obvious.

Couldn't Tarantino, with all his resources, been a little more thorough with removing some of this stuff, either physically or with CGI, like they removed Ashton Kusher's red cabalist bracelet from a movie he was in? It's almost laughable how sloppy this was done, and looks just plane weird with all this stuff blended together, and I don't think I'm being overly picky like complaining about the television antennas you see for a fraction of a second in Raiders of the Lost Ark or something, because the anachronisms are almost impossible to not notice in Once Upon a Time Ago in Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 05:25 PM

1,045 posts, read 752,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'm halfway through watching Once Upon a Time Ago in Hollywood. Now then, I know that almost no period piece is without its anachronisms -- there are people who even nitpick very well done shows such as Downton Abbey. However, there's just way too much stuff in Once Upon[...] to not notice it and wonder why Tarantino couldn't have been a little more thorough, especially since this film was touted as realistically transforming parts of L.A. to the way they looked in the 60's. In just the part where Sharon Tate goes to Westwood Villlage to watch herself in a movie, you can't help but notice the modern looking 'BUS ONLY' signs on Wilshire, and even a modern looking sheltered bus stop with an MTA logo on it. Then, in Westwood Village, in the background can be seen a very modern looking LED light on a light post, modern looking storefront signs such as the one for 'Campus Cleaners', a modern blue street name sign, and other stuff. It's weird because it's a comical patchwork quilt of stuff from two different eras, and it's fairly obvious.

Couldn't Tarantino, with all his resources, been a little more thorough with removing some of this stuff, either physically or with CGI, like they removed Ashton Kusher's red cabalist bracelet from a movie he was in? It's almost laughable how sloppy this was done, and looks just plane weird with all this stuff blended together, and I don't think I'm being overly picky like complaining about the television antennas you see for a fraction of a second in Raiders of the Lost Ark or something, because the anachronisms are almost impossible to not notice in Once Upon a Time Ago in Hollywood.
I don't think you're being picky. That would irk the h*ll out of me. My guess is Tarantino just didn't care because he's...well, Tarantino.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:26 PM

26,635 posts, read 26,559,630 times
Don't you already have a thread regarding your same concern about this movie?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...hollywood.html

Old 11-23-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Don't you already have a thread regarding your same concern about this movie?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/los-...hollywood.html
Not really. As stated, I'm just watching it now for the first time now. The other thread was about the film in general, not specifically about the backdrop.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,812,842 times
Could be because his movies are shot with film making it a pita to remove/change images. I noticed the background wasn't perfect but it didn't bother me because I enjoyed the story.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:02 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,744,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post

I haven't seen the movie but that sort of thing drives me nuts. I lived in LA and worked in Hollywood during that era and I remember it vividly. I like to watch movies set in places where I've lived but it always annoys me when there are so many inaccuracies. Now I'll be prepared for this one. I'm one of those who dissects movies and TV shows so I'll probably have a field day with it.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I haven't seen the movie but that sort of thing drives me nuts. I lived in LA and worked in Hollywood during that era and I remember it vividly. I like to watch movies set in places where I've lived but it always annoys me when there are so many inaccuracies. Now I'll be prepared for this one. I'm one of those who dissects movies and TV shows so I'll probably have a field day with it.
Indeed. And honestly, I'm not all that fussy. For example, I've really enjoyed movies such as The Doors (1991) or A Bronx Tale (1993). When I've watched these films, I've felt fully immersed in them. However, this latest effort from Tarantino gets it so unbelievably wrong -- it's almost like he's trolling the L.A. audience because it's really difficult not to see this stuff in the background with the lens stop they used.

For example:

Seriously, Quentin? And it's just as bad in other shots.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:19 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,744,205 times
Ai yi yi. The Continuity people should have fixed that even before it happened. That's their job, for heavens sake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles