U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-02-2020, 05:11 PM
 
242 posts, read 136,921 times
Reputation: 204

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Of course they can. You dont actually have to live in the city of LA to say you are from LA. Most people either live in LA City, work in LA City, or spend a significant amount of time in LA City.

But if you ask someone who lives in the greater LA area, where they are from, then they get specific. Not many people say they are from LA. They say im from Hollywood, Crenshaw, Northridge, Watts, San Pedro, Woodland Hills, and so on. Residents know most of the places in Greater LA like Whittier, Long Beach, Torrance, Irvine, Redlands, Thousand Oaks, Palmdale, Ontario, Hemet. So they associate the bigger well known city when speaking to others who may not know.
Many foreign visitors dont know the differences of citys and neighbohoods of LA. They come thinking places like Universal City, Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Hollywood are all LA City. Then you gotta tell them some are cities, some are neighborhoods and some are unincorporated areas.

Even the major sports teams dont all actually play in LA City. Angels, Chargers and soon rams and Clippers possibly in the future aren't playing in LA City, but places like Anaheim, Carson, Inglewood.


So in a sense it's just like New York City where someone from the Bronx or Long Island can rep NYC,even though Manhattan is officially the city;

I figured someone from Long Beach would represent Long Beach when they're in another state.

I've heard some even represent California instead of their actual city. I think California and Texas are the only states where people may actually represent the state instead of the city.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2020, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines
2,171 posts, read 3,097,162 times
Reputation: 4491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
So in a sense it's just like New York City where someone from the Bronx or Long Island can rep NYC,even though Manhattan is officially the city;

I figured someone from Long Beach would represent Long Beach when they're in another state.

I've heard some even represent California instead of their actual city. I think California and Texas are the only states where people may actually represent the state instead of the city.
Not really. New York City is made up of 5 Boroughs. if you live anywhere in the Bronx ,Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens, you're a resident of New York City. The same Mayor and Police Force covers all 5 boroughs. It's just that Manhattan is the main Metropolis and New Yorkers get into the habit of saying "I'm going into the city" when going to Manhattan.

Long Island is an entirely different place mainly broken into 2 counties and generally speaking an entirely different way of life (more driving, lower density). They have their own police force, own politicians, and i'm sure Long Island homeowners pay a ton more in taxes also.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2020, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
3,050 posts, read 4,099,495 times
Reputation: 5901
I live in the city of Los Angeles, but three blocks from me, it changes to the city of Burbank.

If I lived three blocks east in the city of Burbank, I'd still tell people I was "from LA" when traveling.

This is normal.

If someone knows LA well enough and they ask for more detail, then I say "the Valley" or "San Fernando Valley". If they want a breakdown from there, I'll tell them Studio City.

If someone lives in Flatbush, NY or Yonkers, is it okay for them to say they're from "NYC" when asked?

To me, it is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2020, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines
2,171 posts, read 3,097,162 times
Reputation: 4491
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

If someone lives in Flatbush, NY or Yonkers, is it okay for them to say they're from "NYC" when asked?

To me, it is.
Flatbush yes, as it is actually located in Brooklyn. Yonkers, definately not, as it is outside of NYC limits. Again, different cops, school districts and a different county name altogether.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2020, 12:06 PM
 
585 posts, read 514,227 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Hollywood and Venice are part of the city of LA, now Marina Del Rey, and Universal City is unincorporated.
LA Fan is correct. There are 88 incorporated cities in LA County. By incorporated, we mean under their California State charter they are their own separate governing entities.

Unincorporated "cities" are really just enclaves or neighborhoods, not cities. Unincorporated areas are generally serviced by L.A. County services such as Public Works and the Sheriff's Department. These include Marina Del Rey, Universal City, City Terrace (East LA), La Crescenta, and Ladera Heights (not to be confused with unincorporated Ladera Ranch in south Orange County that is within the Mission Viejo city sphere of influence).

Many incorporated cities, approximately 20% of LA County's 88 incorporated cities, have opted to skip the enormous capital outlay and liability of having their own services, and instead contract with the Los Angeles County government for some or all of their services. This public-public contracting is known as "The Lakewood Plan" named after the first city to do so: Lakewood in LA County contracted with the Sheriff's Dept in the 1950's to provide police services. Others that do this include Lynwood, Lomita, Carson, Paramount, Artesia, Hawaiian Gardens, Malibu, Avalon (Santa Catalina Island), Lancaster, Valencia, Cerritos, Compton, La Canada-Flintridge, etc.

There are many "cities" that people think of that are not cities or unincorporated areas at all, but are simply neighborhoods, enclaves, and areas that are in the city of Los Angeles. These include Northridge, Encino, Van Nuys, Hollywood (although West Hollywood is its own city and contracts with the county Sheriff's Department), Los Feliz, Silverlake, Eagle Rock, El Sereno, Sherman Oaks, San Pedro, Westwood, and Wilmington. Even Brentwood, Bel-Air, Holmby Hills, Hancock Park, and Pacific Palisades are actually in the city limits of Los Angeles, as are the Hollywood Hills. Beverly Hills, however, is its own incorporated city. These "cities" are officially Los Angeles and it would be proper and official to write the address out as such. There is no city of Hollywood, therefore there is no Mayor of Hollywood - it is an unofficial honorary post at best.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of enclaves, neighborhoods, incorporated or unincorporated cities or areas - only given as examples.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 01-03-2020 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Added Westwood to list, and added second to last paragraph for clarification
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2020, 12:22 AM
 
242 posts, read 136,921 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
LA Fan is correct. There are 88 incorporated cities in LA County. By incorporated, we mean under their California State charter they are their own separate governing entities.

Unincorporated "cities" are really just enclaves or neighborhoods, not cities. Unincorporated areas are generally serviced by L.A. County services such as Public Works and the Sheriff's Department. These include Marina Del Rey, Universal City, City Terrace (East LA), La Crescenta, and Ladera Heights (not to be confused with unincorporated Ladera Ranch in south Orange County that is within the Mission Viejo city sphere of influence).

Many incorporated cities, approximately 20% of LA County's 88 incorporated cities, have opted to skip the enormous capital outlay and liability of having their own services, and instead contract with the Los Angeles County government for some or all of their services. This public-public contracting is known as "The Lakewood Plan" named after the first city to do so: Lakewood in LA County contracted with the Sheriff's Dept in the 1950's to provide police services. Others that do this include Lynwood, Lomita, Carson, Paramount, Artesia, Hawaiian Gardens, Malibu, Avalon (Santa Catalina Island), Lancaster, Valencia, Cerritos, Compton, La Canada-Flintridge, etc.

There are many "cities" that people think of that are not cities or unincorporated areas at all, but are simply neighborhoods, enclaves, and areas that are in the city of Los Angeles. These include Northridge, Encino, Van Nuys, Hollywood (although West Hollywood is its own city and contracts with the county Sheriff's Department), Los Feliz, Silverlake, Eagle Rock, El Sereno, Sherman Oaks, San Pedro, Westwood, and Wilmington. Even Brentwood, Bel-Air, Holmby Hills, Hancock Park, and Pacific Palisades are actually in the city limits of Los Angeles, as are the Hollywood Hills. Beverly Hills, however, is its own incorporated city. These "cities" are officially Los Angeles and it would be proper and official to write the address out as such. There is no city of Hollywood, therefore there is no Mayor of Hollywood - it is an unofficial honorary post at best.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of enclaves, neighborhoods, incorporated or unincorporated cities or areas - only given as examples.

Hope this helps clarify things.
Still confusing lol

East LA is not actually a city either
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 AM
 
242 posts, read 136,921 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Not really. New York City is made up of 5 Boroughs. if you live anywhere in the Bronx ,Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens, you're a resident of New York City. The same Mayor and Police Force covers all 5 boroughs. It's just that Manhattan is the main Metropolis and New Yorkers get into the habit of saying "I'm going into the city" when going to Manhattan.

Long Island is an entirely different place mainly broken into 2 counties and generally speaking an entirely different way of life (more driving, lower density). They have their own police force, own politicians, and i'm sure Long Island homeowners pay a ton more in taxes also.
Yes but these 5 borough's are actually counties correct ?

When visiting New York, I notice nobody says NYC, they say I'm from Queen's and so and so is from Brooklyn.

So even though it's 1 city,it's still kinda seperate identities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2020, 12:26 AM
 
242 posts, read 136,921 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I live in the city of Los Angeles, but three blocks from me, it changes to the city of Burbank.

If I lived three blocks east in the city of Burbank, I'd still tell people I was "from LA" when traveling.

This is normal.

If someone knows LA well enough and they ask for more detail, then I say "the Valley" or "San Fernando Valley". If they want a breakdown from there, I'll tell them Studio City.

If someone lives in Flatbush, NY or Yonkers, is it okay for them to say they're from "NYC" when asked?

To me, it is.


Well I mean from the outside looking in, I thought Beverly hills and Santa Monica was part of the city of Los Angeles.

And than Anaheim Angels are in Orange county so how is that an LA team ?

I'm sure different counties in California don't represent Los Angeles right ?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2020, 08:08 AM
 
3,288 posts, read 1,581,617 times
Reputation: 9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
Still confusing lol
No, it's not. It's one of the best written explanations I've seen.

If you can't or choose not to understand it that's on you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2020, 08:28 AM
 
Location: So Ca
24,313 posts, read 22,388,058 times
Reputation: 21489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
Still confusing lol

East LA is not actually a city either
True; East Los Angeles is an unincorporated area in the Eastside region of Los Angeles County. But whether it's a neighborhood, a city, an unincorporated area, etc, there are certain places in southern California that are part of Los Angeles County. And those that are not. Is that what you were asking in your OP?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top