U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 03:36 PM

4,880 posts, read 2,366,440 times

Advertisements

Metropolitan areas include multiple counties as a rule. Its not unusual for residents of a Metro area to rep the core city. None of that is LA-specific.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 06:49 PM

57 posts, read 31,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
If a San Diegan says they are from "Southern California," people automatically assume they are from the LA area even though SD is as Southern as California gets.
Yes, I agree with your comment, Plus San Diego has always been a city that was over looked by Los Angeles and San Francisco. Usually when you talk about California to anyone who does not live there they mention those two cities.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:15 PM

6,203 posts, read 10,706,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
These "cities" are officially Los Angeles and it would be proper and official to write the address out as such.
Actually you're risking your letter returned if you address it as such. Outside of the Westside, you would have to write the actual town (e.g. Encino, Chatsworth, etc.).

Go to USPS.com and use the Look Up a ZIP Code™ function to standardize your address book. Also include the dash and the 4 digits after the zip code (ZIP+4) to get your letter to the recipient's mailbox faster.

Through my personal experience, Houston's situation is more complicated since city boundaries don't coincide with the postal city designation. Also the Houston area is more unlikely to have suburbs incorporated than the rest of Texas, which make unincorporated areas (and gerrymandered annexation) hard to define precisely.

It's also interesting that California law does not allow for cities to cross county lines. Katy, Texas is at the intersection of 3 counties and it would be awkward to have 3 incorporated cities (with separate governments/city councils) governing the same area because of the county lines.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:26 AM

24,219 posts, read 22,300,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
That's exactly my point. Someone from Riverside told me they're from Los Angeles and when I researched it, Riverside is not even in L.A county.
The Times no longer updates their mapping from Census records, but it's still pretty accurate. Input whatever area you want and it will tell you what region or county it's in, e.g. Riverside is San Bernardino County.
Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Like say If I was from Orange county, Do I represent every city in my county or just my immediate city ?
Every city in that county.
Orange County, California - Orange County Cities

Quote:
So yes in a sense, I guess someone from Santa Clarita is also from Los Angeles but on a local level, they're not from Los Angeles city.
Santa Clarita is in Los Angeles County. (No, it is not in the city of Los Angeles.)
Santa Clarita Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 01-10-2020, 07:20 AM

3,288 posts, read 1,574,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually you're risking your letter returned if you address it as such. Outside of the Westside, you would have to write the actual town (e.g. Encino, Chatsworth, etc.).

This is just simply not true.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:55 AM

585 posts, read 511,727 times
Quote:
That's exactly my point. Someone from Riverside told me they're from Los Angeles and when I researched it, Riverside is not even in L.A county.

So I guess to break it down better, Do residents in California represent their county on a local level ?

Like say If I was from Orange county, Do I represent every city in my county or just my immediate city ?

I think the confusion comes with Los Angeles being the name of the County and name of the City.

So yes in a sense, I guess someone from Santa Clarita is also from Los Angeles but on a local level, they're not from Los Angeles city.
Riverside is pretty far east of L.A

Santa Clarita is in Los Angeles County, however, and borders City of L.A. areas like Sylmar, Northridge, and San Fernando (which is its own incorporated city, however the entire SFV full of City of Los Angeles enclaves is named for it).

Riverside is its own City and County, but the entire 5-county region is commonly used in mass statistical analyses, including the CPI. The 5 counties are considered part of the Los Angeles megalopolis because you can pretty much drive from one to another without ever realizing you left an urban area or city at all. There are no wooded areas for miles between areas in the region (not counting the mountain areas, of course) like there would be between Nashville and Memphis.

The five counties are L.A., Orange, Riverside, Sandy Eggo, and San Bernardino. Caveat: San Bernardino is the largest county in the U.S. per land mass, and stretches allllll the way to Las Vegas, so not really a part of the megalopolis once you are through the City of San Berdoo and its suburbs itself.

In addition, San Diego has its own very separate identity and culture from L.A., as do they all - including Orange County that seceded from L.A. over a century ago in order to gain more local control. So there are subtleties to this regional identification. San Diego's just feels more separate.

It's kinda like if you were in Europe, you'd tell people who asked that you were American. If they knew anything bout America, you'd tell them you were from California. If they knew California, you might say you were from L.A. to indicate the southern portion of the vast state. You continue to drill down based on their frames of reference. So even if you lived in "L.A." but you lived in East L.A., you're still part of the area but on the micro level it is very different from even West L.A.

Another factor in the "regional" identification as L.A. is that most everyone in those areas (except San Diego) watch the major network news stations based in L.A. Those news stations provide weather, news, and traffic for the entire region, not just the City of L.A. There are more local news reporting agencies, papers, and stations, but the big three networks broadcast out of L.A. and S.D. separately. Part of that is that the network antennae on Mt. Wilson and Mt. Baldy can reach LA, OC, SB, and Riverside Counties, but they do not reach San Diego. The shared use of major networks and news encourages a cohesiveness of shared community.

There are lots of variables and factors involved in why some areas easily identify as L.A. even if they are not in the City of or County of Los Angeles. By the way, did you know the great city known as L.A. - known by two letters worldwide, is actually a name of 14 words? The official name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula. Now, I could not tell you where the Porciuncula River is, having never seen nor heard of it otherwise. I wouldn't trust any river with "culo" it its name, lol. It actually means The City of Our Lady, Queen of Angels, of the Porciuncula River. L.A. is an abbreviation for Los Angeles, which is Spanish for The Angels.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 01-10-2020 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Added sentence about San Fernando Valley in Paragraph One

Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 1,684,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The Times no longer updates their mapping from Census records, but it's still pretty accurate. Input whatever area you want and it will tell you what region or county it's in, e.g. Riverside is San Bernardino County.
Uhh...no. Riverside is in Riverside County. San Bernardino is in San Bernardino County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The post office doesn't care what you call the city or neighborhood as long as you put the right zip code on it. I get mail addressed to both Hollywood and Los Angeles (though I don't live in Hollywood and my post office is LA). I mail stuff to relatives in the Valley and write Los Angeles and it always goes through.

As for your example with Houston, that is not unique. USPS designates the city by whatever post office they have assigned to deliver the mail. So, if you live in one city or unincorporated area, but there is a post office a few blocks away in another city that delivers your mail, your address is the address of where the post office is. That doesn't change the fact you vote and pay taxes in whatever city you live in. An example of this is the neighborhood known as Beverly Hills Post Office or BHPO. The neighborhood is in the city of LA, but their mail routes run out of the Beverly Hills Post Office, so they have Beverly Hills Addresses even though they live/vote/attend school in Los Angeles. Also, as you've pointed out, the names of the Post Offices don't even have to be a city, as several in LA and San Diego are named after city neighborhoods.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:25 AM

77,804 posts, read 97,860,888 times
Quote:
Can someone from say Palmdale or Long Beach say they're from Los Angeles or this just mainly a city thing ?
anyone can say what they want and people often do refer to living in L.A. if they live in the proximity. Some will say the L.A. area. Some may say I live a town or city near Los Angeles, but often people will simply say I am from Los Angeles because people from other places can relate to L.A. easier than say, Palmdale for instance. I am really not sure what difference this makes to anyone.

When we lived in No. VA we always said we live in DC or the DC area, then we could explain exactly where we lived. We did the same when we lived in the DAllas area and when we lived 30 miles south of ABQ.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:34 AM

77,804 posts, read 97,860,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It depends on whom I am talking to. If the other person is a fellow Californian, I usually say Orange County (because my city is one of the smaller, newer and less recognizable ones in OC. If I were from Santa Ana or Huntington Beach, I'd say that).

If they are an American from some other state, I say Orange County, California.

If they are from some other country, I may just say California, or I may say "the Los Angeles area."

I never say I am from Los Angeles. It's not the case. I go months at a time without even entering Los Angeles county.
Outside of L.A. county is a little different but even then there are times when simply saying L.A. or the L.A area makes more sense unless you are talking to people who would know O.C. When we lived in Marin County years ago we always said the bay area or the San Francisco area. Then we could boil it down if someone wanted to know where in the area did we live. Now if we are traveling outside of the USA we would simply say we are from America or if the person asks and can tell we are Americans and we are not far from our country we will say AR. Heck many do not even know where that is, much less if we actually said Bella Vista.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:58 AM

24,219 posts, read 22,300,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Riverside is in Riverside County. San Bernardino is in San Bernardino County.
Sorry; typing error - and can't edit after a certain # of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles