U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 07:09 PM

242 posts, read 136,030 times

Advertisements

Can someone from say Palmdale or Long Beach say they're from Los Angeles or this just mainly a city thing ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 07:31 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
Can someone from say Palmdale or Long Beach say they're from Los Angeles or this just mainly a city thing ?
Different identities than LA city.. But I notice when people from LA County move to other parts of the country, for brevity they will claim 'LA'.
In Virginia I was talking to a military guy from Santa Clarita, and he was repping LA bcuz he assumed no one would recognize SCV.. Makes sense I guess..

Old 12-31-2019, 08:26 PM

13,236 posts, read 13,691,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Different identities than LA city.. But I notice when people from LA County move to other parts of the country, for brevity they will claim 'LA'.
In Virginia I was talking to a military guy from Santa Clarita, and he was repping LA bcuz he assumed no one would recognize SCV.. Makes sense I guess..
Survey says...

Old 01-01-2020, 12:17 AM

242 posts, read 136,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah it does make sense but I figure these are still cities with their own history and identity. Someone from Long Beach will say they was born and raised in Long Beach not Los Angeles, but than someone from say Riverside might rep L.A as well and that's not even LA county ~

It's kinda confusing but I guess the entire region is greater Los Angeles

Old 01-01-2020, 01:03 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,125,484 times
Of course they can. You dont actually have to live in the city of LA to say you are from LA. Most people either live in LA City, work in LA City, or spend a significant amount of time in LA City.

But if you ask someone who lives in the greater LA area, where they are from, then they get specific. Not many people say they are from LA. They say im from Hollywood, Crenshaw, Northridge, Watts, San Pedro, Woodland Hills, and so on. Residents know most of the places in Greater LA like Whittier, Long Beach, Torrance, Irvine, Redlands, Thousand Oaks, Palmdale, Ontario, Hemet. So they associate the bigger well known city when speaking to others who may not know.
Many foreign visitors dont know the differences of citys and neighbohoods of LA. They come thinking places like Universal City, Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Hollywood are all LA City. Then you gotta tell them some are cities, some are neighborhoods and some are unincorporated areas.

Even the major sports teams dont all actually play in LA City. Angels, Chargers and soon rams and Clippers possibly in the future aren't playing in LA City, but places like Anaheim, Carson, Inglewood.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:04 AM

24,207 posts, read 22,270,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
Both Palmdale and Long Beach are cities in Los Angeles County.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:16 AM

12,962 posts, read 8,959,162 times
It depends on whom I am talking to. If the other person is a fellow Californian, I usually say Orange County (because my city is one of the smaller, newer and less recognizable ones in OC. If I were from Santa Ana or Huntington Beach, I'd say that).

If they are an American from some other state, I say Orange County, California.

If they are from some other country, I may just say California, or I may say "the Los Angeles area."

I never say I am from Los Angeles. It's not the case. I go months at a time without even entering Los Angeles county.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM

10,419 posts, read 6,195,799 times
When not talking to locals the old Jerry Dunphy opening line "from the desert to the sea" becomes "L.A."

Old 01-01-2020, 09:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 940,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Of course they can. You dont actually have to live in the city of LA to say you are from LA.
This applies to any city.

We all condense certain taking points for ease of consumption. If you’re traveling you’re likely to generalize and claim L.A. as your residence. If you’re speaking to someone who’s local, you’ll naturally be more specific.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:40 PM

214 posts, read 442,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
They come thinking places like Universal City, Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Hollywood are all LA City. Then you gotta tell them some are cities, some are neighborhoods and some are unincorporated areas.
Hollywood and Venice are part of the city of LA, now Marina Del Rey, and Universal City is unincorporated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles