Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 4,758 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to live in California. I have been in NJ the majority of my life. I am just curious if anyone has headed for the West coast and loved the move.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 09:48 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Me. Born in New Jersey and also lived in DC for many years. I have absolutely no regrets. Best move I ever made. Moved to Seattle from DC. Then moved to Los Angeles. Love it here. Not a perfect city but far more enjoyable than DC. The best part is the people are much nicer out west imo.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:29 PM

405 posts, read 394,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Me. Born in New Jersey and also lived in DC for many years. I have absolutely no regrets. Best move I ever made. Moved to Seattle from DC. Then moved to Los Angeles. Love it here. Not a perfect city but far more enjoyable than DC. The best part is the people are much nicer out west imo.
Do you ever feel like crime has been a problem for you in LA?

Old 01-06-2020, 11:40 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
40+ years in the Northeast Corridor, 4 years now in California. Only regret is I didn't move sooner.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:44 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times
I grew up in Northern NJ just outside of NYC. Lived in and around the city for my entire life before moving to Los Angeles and couldn't be happier with my decision.

To put it simply, I have found that LA is a much better fit for my personality and interests. I vastly prefer the weather, natural scenery/landscape, food, culture, and vibe in LA vs. anywhere in the Northeast. The road trip destinations from LA are also more interesting to me. And IMO the locals here tend to be much more friendly and laid-back by comparison.

If you have a solid financial/educational/professional plan for moving to LA in the near future, I'd say it's worth a shot. My only regret is that I didn't make the move sooner. While there are the typical big city issues like traffic, homelessness, and a high cost of living, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives for me. As a result, I have no intention to leave anytime soon, if ever.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:37 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Do you ever feel like crime has been a problem for you in LA?
Not at all. And as a city photographer I've been all over Los Angeles. To me it feels much safer than DC.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:26 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
I just moved to LA in September after living in the DC area (Northern Virginia) for over 11 years. Prior to the move, I used to visit LA at least twice a year.

Absolutely love it. Zero regrets, in spite of the traffic and homeless issue. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:53 PM

58 posts, read 69,821 times
I moved to LA from the southeast (Miami) about 1 year 9 months ago. I don't regret it, but I don't know if LA is where I'll ultimately stay longterm or not though. There are definitely things I enjoy about it and things I'm not all that big on which is usually going to be the case with most big cities.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:41 PM

6 posts, read 4,758 times
One of the biggest concerns for me is the cost to leave there.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:02 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,060 times
I moved to LA after living in NYC and DC for a few years. I thoroughly enjoyed living on the East Coast. In fact, NYC is still my #1 favorite city in America.

I used to hate on LA from a distance. I came here expecting this to be a sprawled suburban dump full of hippies, gang members, and annoying wannabee celebrities. Had pretty much made up my mind before Day 1 of living here. Boy, was I wrong! Turns out that I absolutely love LA. Two years later, when presented with the opportunity to move back East, I declined it and chose to double down on staying here. The reason why I fell so hard for this place boils down to one word. Variety.

Geographic variety. Architectural variety, professional, culinary, ethno-racial, recreational activities, etc.
Many cities try to claim that they have variety too, but there are levels to it.
The only city that can hold a candle to the sheer variety here is NYC, but NYC lacks geographic variety (no mountains, nice beaches, or desert landscapes).

You have to think carefully about what is important to you personally and how you prioritize those things. The truth is that LA is America's most misunderstood city. It's not for everybody. In fact, I would say LA is not a good fit for most Americans (when considering budget, outlook on life, and tastes). But for people that it is a fit, it's hard to ever want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles